May 15th, 2009

Rand Paul to run for Senate

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Dr. Rand Paul, the son of former Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, announced Thursday night that he is forming an exploratory committee to to challenge Kentucky Sen. Jim Bunning in a Republican primary.

Paul made the announcement Thursday night on MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Show.

Paul had said previously that he would not throw his hat in the ring if Bunning decided to run for reelection. Bunning - seen as one of the weakest Republicans in the 2010 race - has said that he will run again, but Paul said he doesn't necessarily trust that the two-term Kentucky senator will follow through.

"I think the problem is that every time a reporter asks Jim Bunning, are you running, their follow up question is, Jim, are you really running," Paul said. He said Bunning has done some "unusual things" and said, "What I hate to see is a politician who might go all the way up to the deadline and pull their papers out an hour before and then you have one candidate and there's no real primary."

Since his announcement, Paul said he has raised over $12,000, according to his campaign Web site. Paul's conservative views are very similar to those of his father, who garnered a major grassroots following during his run for president last year.

Filed under: Jim Bunning
  1. Imarriedmy sister in Mississippi

lets chug a jug on dat Jed,Bunning is an overrated hasbeen.

May 15, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  2. Eldon Renaud

He won't get any traction. Paul is an odd fellow who seems to abhor government. He is on the extreme right wing of th e political spectrum.

May 15, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  3. PalinSniff

What is that I hear??

Neocon heads exploding all across this great land....

All blood....no brains....

May 15, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. arithmetic is liberal

Good luck, Paul the Younger.

Even though I fundamentally disagree with you, your brand of conservatism is at least intellectually honest.

May 15, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  5. Charlie in Maine

Respect for the constitution used to be something you could count on from Republicans before the neo-cons took over. Sweep out the neo-cons and y'all might just have a party again. I am a liberal Democrat but I have come to recognize that most of the people in this county are in the middle and they want the Democrats to stay out of their wallets and the Republicans to stay out of their bedroooms.

If we can get Bush's war of choice shut down that will do wonders for peoples wallets. Ron Paul had that part right and I hope is son does too.

May 15, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  6. Ben

It's too bad he can't run for Senator in Indiana :(

May 15, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  7. John

Libertarians: They vote Republican but claim not to be Republicans.

May 15, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  8. Tom

Ron Paul is a nutball, not to mention author of multiple white supremacist writings. Is that the change you Paul supporters would like to have? I say no more Bushes, no more Cheneys, no more Pauls, no more Palins... Hey, here's an idea: No more GOP! Let's just choose between the Democrats and the Greens. Now that's change I could believe in!

May 15, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  9. Curran

Lucky for Kentucky residents, Dr. Paul is not a stimulus supporter! Rather, he supports a return to constitutional government with sound money and civil liberties– much the same platform of his dad, a ten-term Congressman from Texas and two time former presidential candidate, Ron Paul.

Everyone do your share to end the scarry growth of government (on a never before seen scale) by supporting those such as the Dr. Pauls ( :-) hehehe).

Good day!
    Curran in Michigan

May 15, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  10. m smith

Ya know i am no fan of Nancy's and thinks she does more harm than good for the party but ol Newt is an absolut idiot anyway and it's kind of the pot calling the kettle black. He should go away.

May 15, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  11. Zach K

No More Pauls Please. Two Bushes and Two Doles are too much.

May 15, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  12. Paula

Obama is paying lawyers to hide his birth certificate. We know that fact because his lawyers answers to suits all over the country are public record. There’s nothing crazier than a President hiding his birth certificate. People need to know that fact."

May 15, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  13. Fitz in Texas

Good luck Rand Paul. This country needs people like you to clean up the mess in Washington.

May 15, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. Trang, Fremont, CA

Good luck, Rand Paul. I think your brand of Republican is good for the Republican party, You have different ideas, but at least, you debate in a civil manner, and you trample on people's lifestyle. But then, I am a Democrat, what do I know.

May 15, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  15. Trang, Fremont, CA

Correction. Rand Paul do not trample on people's lifestyle as the Republican Party threaten to do.

May 15, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  16. GOP = 21st century dodo

My utter revulsion with Ayn Rand is clouding my judgement.

May 15, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  17. arsenal e vega

to get updated info on all news and entertainment go to http://www.livepcp.com

May 15, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  18. Big Mowma

WAY better than Palin. Way. And I am a born and raised Democrat, consider myself apolitical since 2000. The GOP needs to look at serious, thoughtful candidates like Paul instead of loudmouth uneducated types.

May 15, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  19. Clay

DaBird, I have to disagree with you. I occasionally watch Maddow's show on MSNBC and some may even think I'm a "left-wing nut". However, I'd vote for Dr. Ron Paul any day of the week. He has true conviction, and although I disagree on some of his stances, he is sensible and a true leader.

May 15, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  20. Greg & Matt in Houston

When will these right-wing extremists quit embarrassing the good people of the great state of Texas? Remember this family of anti-choice zealots are physicians that believe that they should be able to deny someone care based upon their faith or sexual orientation. Sorry 1950 was almost six decades ago and society moves forwards not backwards.

May 15, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  21. Zealots Go Home

May 15, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  22. Darryl Schmitz

Rand Paul would be a very good senator for the people of Kentucky.
    Senator Bunning can feel confident in passing the torch to young Dr. Paul.

May 15, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  23. Rand Paul for Senate 2012

As a Kentuckian I proudly endorse Rand Paul for Senate.

May 15, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  24. George

Best wishes, I'm a democrat and you are a breath of fresh air to the republican side. As far as liberal programs are concerned, if keeping people from starving to death under a bridge is a liberal program. thank God I am a liberal.
    The last CONSERVATIVE administration has enough death on it's record. Time for the living. Time for America. But again, best wishes.

May 15, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  25. Jon

If Ron Paul had been the GOP nominee in 2008, I would have voted Obama. If his son wins the seat in Kentucky, I'm changing my registration to Democrat.

May 15, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |