May 18th, 2009

Byrd hospitalized for infection

West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd was hospitalized last week.
West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd was hospitalized last week.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd was hospitalized late last week for a temperature spike caused by an infection, according to a statement released by Byrd's office Monday.

Byrd, a 91-year-old Democrat, entered the hospital last Friday afternoon as precautionary measure. He is "being treated with antibiotics, responding well, and is expected to be released from the hospital in a few days," according to the statement.

Byrd was first elected to the U.S. Senate in 1958.

Filed under: Robert Byrd
  1. George Arlington, TX.

Andrew, just a note to say , with national helth care you will be treated. The present care is money first an aparine go home and get rest., Cost 200.00.
    Andrew are you a rich snob ?

May 18, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. marvinj

I wish him the best but something needs to be done about age limits or something. Do we realize this man is almost 100 years old so think of what time frame his early teachings about people the various races, his values what era did these things come form. But to that point we have alot of people younger than he is, thatare totally out of touch.

May 18, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. tad

i hope he recovers and has many years left, but as most of these comments state, I believe it's time for him retire - however, from a life long republican, "thank you Senator for your long and fateful service". Your dedication is appreciated by all Americans.

May 18, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  4. Al from NH

Byrd is the poster child for term limits. It's not about his age, it's about getting done what he can in two terms and then moving on.

I do hope he gets well soon – and realizes it's time to retire.

May 18, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Carl

Don't you think that a 91 year old doesn't need to be in the senate.
    Most 91 year olds that I know can't remenber where they put their teeth much less being alert enough to know whats going on in the senate.
    They make airline piolts retire at 60.
    TERM LIMITS AND AGE LIMITS.

May 18, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. the rector

When he's gone, who will call it like they see it in washington? Best wishes Bob.

May 18, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. Susan

Come on people...put some beef behind you...how about saying something intellectual or historical, or practical.

Either do something meaningful with your lives, or the lives of the people in this great nation... or shut up!

May 18, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. Peter (CA)

Dems are hypocrites @ 3:57

And this is why Democrats are not afraid of 2010.

And, by the way, don't confuse "cluelessness" with "class". Bush did not have to get his hands dirty since Dick "the Penguin" Cheney was more than willing.

May 18, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  9. Doug, New Jersey

Ha ha, I love it!!!

Lib is saying that republicans are sooo mean for bringing up term limits in this post while a majority of liberal Democrats in America would like to kill all of their republican neighbors if they could (just listen to them, that all you have to do). LIbs are something else!

May 18, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  10. glen

Term limits? West Virginians love this guy. Poor guy's wife died a few years ago. What's he going to go home to?

He still (at 91) does more for the state than most "young" senators and representatives. As long as he's still producing and representing, then let's just let the people of West Virginia determine his retirement.

May 18, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  11. the rector

Term limits should absolutely be put on the house of representatives, but the senate is another matter. The purpose of the senate is to provide continuity to the workings of government, and temper the whims of the moment with historical perspective. Old men have the gift of time spent in the past, which can be useful in curbing the jolts to society that popular culture and the knee jerk reactionaries tend to inflict on the stability of any society. They can remember how people reacted to difficulties in the past and lend experience and reason to the situation. Theirs is possibly the most important position in government.

May 18, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  12. Super MOD

Brandon – I knew Strom Thurmond. He as a great statesman like Senator Byrd. I still think he hung onto power way too long. The one thing I can say about both Senators that I do not see any other members of Congress is their true caring for the Institution. They understand what it means to represent a segment of the population. The remainder of those in Congress are only out to represent the parties that put them into power and could care less about the voters.

May 18, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  13. Ken in NC

People should not be so hard on Senator Robert Byrd. This man is a walking historical treasure. Do your home work and you will find that when our government was created they found Senator Robert Byrd waiting for them. How do you spell T E RM L I M I T S?

May 18, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. Hopeful Optimist

I'm a lifelong Liberal and probably always will be. However, I realize there are well-intentioned conservatives out there with beliefs and convictions just as strongly held as mine. And to each and every one of you I salute you and realize that the pendulum swings both ways. The difficult thing for each of us is to remember that what goes around comes around, and we should never fail to treat each other with civility and respect. I am a Vietnam Vet, and I think that, at least in part, that is what my service to my country was all about: the preservation of participatory democracy with a peaceful venue for expression of one's ideas.

May 18, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  15. Mari( maybe one of my comments will be posted)

I see that the GOPers are telling us again who they really are!

One of the reasons I am no longer a Republican, is because I can not stand the vitriolic rhetoric, the constant rant of criticism and hate!

All the best to Sen. Byrd. He has served our Nation well.

May 18, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  16. Fair is Fair

@Mari:

You know... I've read a lot of your comments on these boards, and while I disagree with you 95% of the time, I always have believed you have displayed some semblance of intelligence.

With respect to Senator Byrd – look at his voting record, if you will. This man would sell his mother's soul on any bill that he inserts a "road money" for WV (a.k.a. pork) rider in it. Please – just look.

I've driven in WV – miles and miles of 6-lane highways in both directions with just a smattering of vehicles on them.

Now while you may feel that he is doing good by his constituents, do tell... how is Senator Byrd advancing the common cause of the average US citizen? Quite honestly, I'm sick and tired of paying for WV roads that I rarely, if ever, use. And it appears that not many people use them either.

May 18, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  17. No Incumbents 2010

I wish Byrd well. I do not agree with him, but I wish him a speedy recovery.

May 18, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  18. No Incumbents 2010

@Mari who wrote:

So are you an Independent? Because your stated convictions prevent you from being a Liberal.

May 18, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. Darth Vadik, CA

KLK,

ancient belief parties (AKA GOP) should not be allowed to exist in the modern world either, right?

May 18, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |