May 18th, 2009

Byrd hospitalized for infection

West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd was hospitalized last week.
West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd was hospitalized last week.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd was hospitalized late last week for a temperature spike caused by an infection, according to a statement released by Byrd's office Monday.

Byrd, a 91-year-old Democrat, entered the hospital last Friday afternoon as precautionary measure. He is "being treated with antibiotics, responding well, and is expected to be released from the hospital in a few days," according to the statement.

Byrd was first elected to the U.S. Senate in 1958.

Filed under: Robert Byrd
  1. in-de- pend -dant

time to hang up the boots and pass the torch to young fresh talent. of a democratic or independant person w/ a fresh vision and outlook and no to a lobbying k-street crook. right trent lott

May 18, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. DaBird

From one Bird to another..........fly away. Term limits.

May 18, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  3. Gary Swanson

Hey Chris – Having a third party involved is how you end up with a Jesse "The Body" Ventura elected governor. No thanks!

May 18, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. Tim

How Ironic that the Byrdman has swine-flue, probably caught if from all the pork he's voted for.

He's way too old to tell anyone what they should do.

May 18, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Karen S Crow

While I agree with the echos for term limits regarding Sen. Byrd ... I do wish him well in his recovery. Personally ... I think Sen. Byrd needs to step down & spend his remaining time on this Earth with his family.

But I come from a big family and my grandparents were the family glue .. so maybe my view is a touch skewed.

May 18, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  6. Tim

BJs,

Right, just like Bush. He was elected twice, and if you disagreed with him, you should just butt out. Obviously, people were happy with Bush's record, that's why they voted him in again.

Lucky for you he wasn't able to run again.

May 18, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. MikefromWV

I was a liberal dem for many years, and am now independent. More importantly, I live in WV. I also echo a call for term limits. I wish Sen. Byrd well and hope for a speedy recovery for him. Though he has done much good for WV, he "is" a stark symbol of a time in our history that is better off buried and forgotten. He is long past the point of being an effective advocate of anything and should retire and enjoy what there is of his life left.

May 18, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  8. Baze

I don't have much concern for this man.

May 18, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  9. Tony

What a disgrace...

May 18, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  10. Lou

From a Yankee, living in the Northeast,
    We know what it's like to love our politics and our politicians, so I will not disparage the good people of West Virginia or dishonor Senator Byrd's name & reputation. He is a true friend to our own 'liberal lion' even though they don't see the same side of any important issues. God bless you, sir, and may He see fit to keep you well. Your people love you.,

May 18, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. donttreadonme

BJs May 18th, 2009 12:56 pm ET
    Well gee, term limits do exist – in the voting booth. If you don't want someone – vote 'em out
    ------------------------------
    I agree power to the people to choose. We don't need more laws telling us what to do.

Voting is the best term limit.

May 18, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. Roy

West bye-gawd Virginia – Where men are men and their sisters are nervous. Home of the best roads the pork barrell spending can buy!

It is time for Byrd to retire.

May 18, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  13. Kyle

For all of you calling him out what about the republican party and good old Strom Thurmand, was 100 years old. Hated African Americans but went and had a kid with a African American and hid that fact from all you for years. I agree term limits should be in there but leave the old guy alone about being in there too long. Its the people in WV that keep picking him

May 18, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. Joe

Sen. Byrd acknowledges that he once belonged to the Klan. However, he also acknowledges that it was a mistake. He grew as a human being, and changed his mind for the better. Which is more than can be said of some of his critics. And by the way, he is anything but senile. Fifty more years, Senator!

May 18, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  15. Dimslie

This guy doesn't hate America enough to be a Democrat.

May 18, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  16. Babz in Michigan

I should have read the comments before I wrote mine... so he was (probably IS) a Klansman. That makes the picture of him in your article extremely scary. "They" look so "normal", don't they? I no longer wish him well!

May 18, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  17. kimberly

God speed sir! Hope you are back to your old self soon!!!

May 18, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  18. Dave C - NJ

Yes the left wing is full of nuts all right.
    lol @ these folks with no leg to stand on...

May 18, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  19. Amazingoly

Congress will never vote in term limits, BUT should have mandatory age limits to serve (70 would be the age). Hope Mr. Byrd is OK, but needs to retire.

May 18, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. Lori in St Pete

Look at all the rightwing haters making childish comments. Didn't your parents teach you if you can't say something nice, don't say anything? And if some crybaby wants to say "well the mean old dems said such and such about so and so", prove it. Put up or shut up.

May 18, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. John Slagle

Get well soon, Senator Robert Byrd

May 18, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  22. bsmith171

way past time for retirement.

May 18, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  23. David in San Diego

Term limits have been a disaster wherever they have been tried. There should be no such limits, including for President (I would take my chances that "shrub" couldn't steal another election). I don't know whether people now speaking in favor of such limits really want an age limit–if so, come out and say it.

May 18, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  24. stomerF

Old Fart needs to reitre.

May 18, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  25. Florida Dude

Would be nice to have term limits but then you get a bunch of junior senators who are just lame ducks and don't know what they are doing. Term limits sound like a nice idea but it really isn't. I'm more interested in why a known racists has been in office at all. Has nothing to do with democrat or republican. Remember David Duke is a republican. I think it speaks more to the character of the general population in West Virginia.

May 18, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |