May 18th, 2009

Byrd hospitalized for infection

West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd was hospitalized last week.
West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd was hospitalized last week.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd was hospitalized late last week for a temperature spike caused by an infection, according to a statement released by Byrd's office Monday.

Byrd, a 91-year-old Democrat, entered the hospital last Friday afternoon as precautionary measure. He is "being treated with antibiotics, responding well, and is expected to be released from the hospital in a few days," according to the statement.

Byrd was first elected to the U.S. Senate in 1958.

Filed under: Robert Byrd
  1. Doug, New Jersey

Robert Byrd loves the fact that his 'boy-hood' dreams have come true, thanks to his party of hate. intolerance, and division. Imagine if a white republican had used the N word on national TV back in 2000. Now, ask yourself why Byrd got a free pass, then you will start to see what the Democratic party is REALLY about.

May 18, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  2. dave

Term limits is a way for people from one state preventing people in another state from voting for who they want. Term limits are anti -democratic.

the people in WV should be able to elect Sheets "his nickname in congress" as often as they

May 18, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. Mark Cross Junction VA

I wonder if Ted Kennedy will babble over his good friend like Byrd did for him. Hog Flu?

May 18, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  4. WVC

As a resident of WV, I have to honestly say that Senator Byrd has served our state well. As posted, He STILL serves our state well. He has been one of the main reasons our state has been able to hang on to what productive industrialization this country has left. Take a look at the statistics for our "EMployment" rate, (not UNemployment), look at the surplus we've managed, all of this is not due to one man alone, but he has been a key player in keeping West Virginia productive and also making it a clean, peaceful place to live.

May 18, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  5. Andrew, Buffalo NY

Thank god we dont' have nationalized Healthcare or he'd be a GONER!!

May 18, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  6. Right to know

Thank you to Senator Byrd for his years of service to West Virginia and to this nation. We all look forward to your recovery and many more debates and votes in the times ahead.

May 18, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  7. Tab

I just have to ask myself how many of the folks screaming "term limits" would voluntarily leave their job at age 91 if they were still mentally and physically able to do it and felt that they were contributing something positive? I'm willing to bet that with folks living to be much older now, there will be alot more 91 year olds still working (either out of economic necessity or like Mr. Byrd, a sense of doing the right thing). Get well soon, Senator – you serve WV well!

May 18, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. Marc

Stevie Ray and all you nasty republicans and your comments can go drop off a cliff.

Anyone that is in the hospital should be sent warm wishes.

Oh, but thats right....Republicans only think evil thoughts.

May 18, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Brandon

I'm sure these conservatives who are moaning about "term limits" did not feel the same about, say, Strom Thurmond.

May 18, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  10. matt lohan

he is awesome; just hope I can be as lucky to live as long as him. He has served our country with the utmost respect, diligence, and determination. All we need is a couple of more Byrds and America will be on it's way to utopia.

May 18, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  11. neil

Professional politicians are our problem, term limits are needed now

May 18, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  12. www.RandPaul2010.com

Byrd needs to give someone else a chance to serve. He doesn't own the Senate seat but he has single-handedly turned the US Senate into the world's most expensive nursing home.

May 18, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  13. Raheim W.

Term Limits??? Are you people really serious? I was taught as a child that we respect our elders. If you have no clue what an elder is, look it up but be careful...He has lived to see more than a lot of us living. Good, bad or indifferent he has learned quite a bit which can be of help or harm. At any rate, let's find a better way to critique the situation with this man's dignity in mind...

May 18, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  14. Peter (CA)

BJs is right....you want someone out, vote them out.

Yes, 91 is old. So, come up with a better candidate.
    And, once again, the whiny right wingers have no room to talk. You guys held on to Strom Thurmond until he turned 100, knowing full well he was no longer able to fulfill his duties.

May 18, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. Shawn

Term limits, please. I think there's still one or two things in the state not named after him and I aim to keep it that way.

May 18, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. barbara

i agree with term limits. The longer they are allowed to stay the more apt they are to stop listening to their constituency and start listening to those that will pay for favorable decisions.

May 18, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  17. kylejmcintyre

I'm probably just short-sighted, but I guess I don't see how the potential for a very old senator to die during his term to be a "+1" for term limits. If you're concerned about a Senator gaining too much power or becoming corrupt while in office, then by all means, +1 for term limits. But, if I were a West Virginian and I were happy with Senator Byrd's service, I would not let concerns about his remaining lifetime stop me from voting for him.

I will say that it's different with a president. There's lots of congressman, but only one president.

May 18, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  18. Patriot

Does anyone really believe that this old byrd is not a figure head for individuals' behind the scene', whom citizens did not elect?

May 18, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  19. fred

You know, I hope he recovers and has a great recovery, but gosh, I don't know if he should still be a senator at this age.

May 18, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  20. Ted Tartaglia

Boy, what a bunch of jackals on this post! Do you think your mothers would be proud of you?

I wish Senator Byrd a speedy recovery.

May 18, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  21. willie

the byrd flu?

May 18, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  22. gl, Pittsburgh

Count my vote for Term Limits………at 91 I do wish Sen. Byrd well, but come on folks, at 91 he should be retied……this country needs Term Limits.

May 18, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  23. Blue in maine

I wish Sen Byrd a speedy recovery,

BTW as the oldest member of the Senate he offered great wisdom on W's rush to war because he did not have to read about the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution. He was there and made what he characterized as the mistake of his career in voting for it. If only they had listened.

Call him senile if you want but he is still smarter than any Republican in the Senate.

May 18, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  24. Biff Hedrickson

Although a democrat, there have been many occasions in recent years where Sen Byrd was the only person in DC making any sense.

May 18, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  25. esblofeld

To all the people clamoring for term limits, Byrd is actually still popular and respected among his colleagues. Both parties consult him regularly over Senate procedure and protocols; he can still recite all of them verbatim, so I'd hardly call him senile.

May 18, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |