May 19th, 2009

FEC dismisses complaint over Palin wardrobe

The Palin camp had come under fire over the source of funding for her campaign wardrobe.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Federal Election Commission dismissed a complaint on Tuesday against the Republican Party for funding a $150,000 designer wardrobe for then-vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, the group that filed complaint, argued that political candidates aren't allowed to spend campaign donations on personal items like clothing. But the FEC dismissed the case on Tuesday, saying that the purchases were "coordinated party expenditures" because the Republican National Committee spent its own money alone on her wardrobe, and did not use donations made to the McCain-Palin campaign.

In the original complaint, CREW targeted over $150,000 spent at high-end stores like Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus to outfit Palin and her family after she was picked as McCain's vice presidential nominee.

Filed under: FEC • Sarah Palin
  1. buddy

Whats the difference between Palin and "The Tin Man" from the Wizard of Oz? A $150,000 wardrobe.....

May 19, 2009 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  2. once upon a horse

a post with the Palin name here will draw no less than 200 responses no matter what the subject is. Like her or loathe her you have to admit she gets a lot of attention on this site.

May 19, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  3. bk

Palin has accomplished more than Obama ever thought about. If CNN reported what she has accfomplished as Gov. instead of trashing her all the time. You need to take a look at what you elected for vp what an idiot.

May 19, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  4. Will

Glen, I'm not afraid of Palin, so don't kid yourself. I'm ANNOYED by her. Perhaps all the book learnin' down in Bumblebrush, TN didn't this to you, but there's a difference.

May 19, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  5. Will

Glen, I'm not afraid of Palin, so don't kid yourself. I'm ANNOYED by her. Perhaps all the book learnin' down in Bumblebrush, TN didn't teach you this, but there's a difference.

May 19, 2009 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  6. Will

Willy Brown, the Palins can't kick anything's butt unless they're looking at it though a scope from a helicopter.

Palin doesn't scare me. The prospect of having somebody, who is just marginally more intelligent than the door greeters at Walmart, with her finger on the button most definitely does though.

May 19, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  7. YBM

definition of a "typical" liberal citizen, non-politician: an out-of-work, kool-aid drinking, uneducated, public assistance receiving moron.

Thank you "dominicanmomma 4 obama" for the definition

May 19, 2009 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  8. Perusing-through

Like TrooperGate and a hundred other things, she and Todd continues to get away with it. . . . . again.

May 19, 2009 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  9. hongli

Is this a CONSERVATIVE WOMAN? Sarah Palin had the rights not to wear the High-Priced Clothing after checking the BRAND NAME,but she did wear them along with her family. she lives every day as Governor on FREEBIES including free wild meat. Shame on her for killing animals.

May 19, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  10. hongli

One thing I could say about the FIRST LADY -–SHE wore her own clothes on the Campaign trail and she was not a Governor.

May 19, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  11. Sandy

Just goes to show that you CANNOT buy class.

May 19, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  12. Anne

Glen @ 5:59 I assume you meant to say she doesn't care what we think of her.
    ...and why would I want someone who doesn't care what I think of them to be my president?

May 19, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  13. German,Irish American

Kristina, Seattle- Hey Teleprompter; your racism is showing. Does that mean that every liberal on this site that is calling Palin and her family names, is racist? Thought so, typical, unable to think for yourself, Democrat hypocrite.

May 19, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  14. Who Cares? Bigger fish to fry...

I am a Democrat and not threatened by Palin. I finished three college degrees legitimately and I admire women like Hillary and Michelle so I don't think anything is wrong with women liking and supporting Palin if they choose to. Also, if I were in her position I would want some nice clothing too. Both sides need to get over this petty stuff.

May 19, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  15. m smith

Havent we heard enough about this Bimbo????

May 19, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  16. Taylor

is it really necessary to slander people to get your point across,wheather you are green independant democrat or republican,,all parties are taught to have simple respect,,this story about mrs.palin has definitly been blown out of proportion,,you people should be ashamed of yourselves for talking aboit people in this manner

May 19, 2009 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  17. Jen in VA

I really find it hard to believe that members of the GOP think that Liberals are afraid of Sarah Palin. This sounds like more propaganda from Sarahpac

May 19, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  18. Becky

I'm afraid Palin is incapable of learning from her mistakes, which reminds me of George W. Bush. Self-righteous and arrogant. Palin is a blatant liar, divisive, vile, and for Democrats to point this out we're called the same things. Food for thought.

May 19, 2009 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  19. Linda in MS

@Mississippi Mike

Obviously, you only socialize or work with other conservatives like yourself, which is entirely probable because you and I both live in one of the most conservative, backwards and racist states in the union. You need to get down to the coast and meet some of the liberal women I know. We don't fear Palin, we are embarassed by her. Most of my Republican friends ( yes, I have a few) thinks she's a joke too.

May 19, 2009 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. Gonzo in Houston

The wardrobe flap taught me a lot about Sarah Palin. She was authorized by the RNC to spend about $15K for some suits for herself. Instead, she blew $150K of someone else's money on things for her entire family, and then tried to play the poor abused victim when she got caught. She may not know geography or civics, but she knows how to pursue and cash in on publicity. We'll see more of her.

May 19, 2009 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  21. Nancy Marie

Why do Palin supporters always say liberals are afraid of Sarah Palin? And they say that in a gleeful way which is sick! We are not afraidbof her! She horrifies us because it shows how someone so backwards and ignorant can make it to that level! Her supporters are what scares us! And for good reason! Sarah is inarticulate and incompetent!

May 20, 2009 12:44 am at 12:44 am |