May 20th, 2009

GOP pays $750,000 in Coleman legal bills

The NRSC is paying $750,000 in legal bills on behalf of Norm Coleman.

The NRSC is paying $750,000 in legal bills on behalf of Norm Coleman.

(CNN) - The National Republican Senatorial Committee is picking up the tab on former Minnesota Sen. Norm Coleman's legal bills, to the tune of $750,000, a Republican official confirms to CNN.

Coleman remains locked in a months-long court battle with Democrat Al Franken, after the Election Day result failed to yield a clear winner. In April, a three-judge panel ruled Franken should be declared the winner with a margin of 312 votes, a ruling Coleman is appealing to the state's Supreme Court.

The $750,000 tab is no small check for the NRSC to write, which ended the first quarter of this year with $2.27 million cash on hand and $1 million in debt. But the organization remains firmly behind Coleman, who alone stands between Democrats and their hopes of achieving a 60-vote filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

NRSC Chairman John Cornyn has said Coleman's challenge could go through federal courts and take "years" to resolve. He also threatened "World War III" if Democrats try to seat Franken prematurely.

Filed under: Norm Coleman • NRSC
  1. Alex in Wisconsin

it could take YEARS?? have they lost their mind? does the GOP plan on dragging this out that long?? wow..this is unbelievable. So much for caring about the voters of MN. Lets speed this through the courts so that the proper person gets seated.

May 20, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. Larry

What's up with his teeth? Is he another Ba Ba Booey?

May 20, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  3. Edward Veidt

You lost Norm. Give it up and move on with your life.

May 20, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  4. Dino

I bet Coleman has stinky feet, too. What a piece of garbage!!

May 20, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  5. WhoCares?

I think so too Lefty. We won't have to wait until those "Arabs" attack us...It will be some Hannity and FoxNews watcher.

May 20, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  6. chelle

Whereas stealing the presidency is perfectly okay with him......go figure.

May 20, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. John

Attention GOP:

I realize this is hard for you all to understand but money can't buy ya everything.

May 20, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. gary davis Harbor Oregon

I don't care
    if the democrates get the 60 thats fine with me
    the republicans haven't given anny good advice about were this country should go and how to get out of debt or most everything else that is wrong with our country
    Cloeman needs to go away and if he wants to run for office again then start shaking hands and get after it
    and if the republicans want to pay his attorney fees then who cares
    it will help in taking them out . and we can wave good bu to the radical party of jerks

May 20, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  9. Brenda

silly, silly,silly!!

Just what America doesn't need!

May 20, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  10. Minnesotan

GOP grandstanding policy:

Do as I say, not as I do.

May 20, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  11. SENSIBLE MIKE

It's really a shame that I can't act more sensible, even though my name literally screams it. I'm clearly upset by things I think could happen but know probably won't happen. I just need to show how strongly I'm opposed to different ideas. In order to do that, I label it socialism. I'm not really sure what it means, but it sounds good.

May 20, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. jack

Let them spend the money on this criminal

May 20, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  13. ghost

I ....somehow....recall.......some people.....saying......get over it......some 8 years ago.........

Must've been a dream......

May 20, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  14. Kevin Jartkelinus

I bet this plays well in Minnesota, what with the Republicans keeping them from having their full voice in the Senate. I imagine they are not going to win a lot of elections in Minnesota for a while.

Nice lose-lose shoot-yourself-in-the-foot strategy the Republicans have there.

May 20, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  15. Sniffit

"Money well spent to keep that clown Franken from becoming the 60th vote."

Funny that you mention it. I know you GOPers like to project your own foibles onto everyone else, but a supermajority for the Dems is a far different than it would be for the GOP. HIstorically and currently, one of the Dems' biggest weaknesses is that they often have trouble getting consensus within the party. Historically, however, the GOP has been the party that goose-steps like a Nazi march line...although it is having some fun right now experimenting with not being able to build consensus with the party.

May 20, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  16. Will 18E

So if Colerevies this money to pay for his private law suite.
    Will be also be paying the gift tax to the IRS on this money?

May 20, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  17. john

$7500000.

Fiscal respobility at it's best.....
    Thank you RNC!

May 20, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  18. me

Kevin in Ohio

Correction: Franken is a comedian. To be a succesful comedian takes skill, intelligence, timing, and wit.

Coleman is a clown.

May 20, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  19. Kevin in Ohio

I just realized how redundant it is to call Al Franken a clown as he is an entertainer turned politician. I just caught the irony of my previous comment. Oops!

May 20, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  20. GOP endangered species

Who's the socialist now !!!

May 20, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  21. Roger

It is time for this foolishness to end. Norm Coleman has so tarnished his image by this charade that even if by some miracle he was returned to the Senate, he would be virtually powerless. It is time for Gov. Pawlenty to face reality, sign the proper certificates and allow Al Franken to take his seat. Minnesota has suffered too long without 2 senators.

May 20, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  22. jim

they should throw in the towel and reinvest the money into their hip and trendy "rebranding campaign". awesome. gotta love the GOP. still in denial. the party's over republicans.

May 20, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  23. Greg

Why does the republican party (small R) continue to hinder all efforts to move this Great country of ours forward. Even as a democrat I would be willing to listen to them if the came up with clear cut anwsers instead of the same old bully tactics and temper tantraums of the Bush administration.

May 20, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  24. nick

The NRSC Chairman Cornyn and the NRC Chairman Mike Steele, are pathetic and doing more harm to the Republican Party than, Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck etc. Keep up the good work boys, the rest of the country is watching, and they vote.

May 20, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |