May 20th, 2009

Obama's meeting with Egyptian leader canceled

Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak has canceled a May 26 meeting with President Obama citing the death of his grandson.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama's May 26 meeting with Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak has been canceled, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs announced Wednesday.

Mubarak canceled the visit due to the death of his grandson in the last 24 hours, Gibbs said.

The Egyptian leader had been scheduled to meet with Obama in Washington.

Obama and Mubarak are still planning to meet when Obama delivers a long-awaited address on relations between the United States and the Muslim world in Cairo, Egypt, on June 4, Gibbs added.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Melissa

Mubarak has my condolenses.

May 20, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. Avi Shlomo

hmmm May 26th that is a week from now and Muslims like Jews burry their dead right away. I suppose netanyahu -AIPACdid not grant the Prez permission to visit

May 20, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  3. what mubarak is really afraid of is

his own demise sooner than later

after the kiss of death by obama

who is changing the packaging of the same BS

bush / cheney tried unsuccessfully to peddle to the world.

May 20, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  4. Jon in CA

I can't wait to hear Obama's big Muslim speech.

I would not be surprised if he sang the Athaan (Islamic call to prayer)...since he so fondly remembers those sweet sounds from his childhood.

May 20, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  5. Tulsa

Condolences, Mr. Mubarak.

May 20, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. George L. Jr

I commend Mubarak for being human and not putting business ahead of family. That's real.

May 20, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. Dallas Independent - thank goodness

Ahhhhh, Nobama is going to suck up to yet another Muslm country? Wonder what he'll apologize for this time.

May 20, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  8. Ollie Benjamin

Mubarek is no fool and he knows Obama is. The sheepish/snivelling Obama trying to persuade the Muslim world that he is their friend while killing muslims in Pakistan, Iraq and Afghanistan...! Only the foolish American electorate believes Obama now and only because he reads from his prepared script so beautifully. What a trivial nation the US has turned into! What has happened to you?

May 20, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. sheena - Canada

God – the majority of these comments show nothing but hate and spite. I used to admire the USA and it's people – now – I just feel sorry for you – so lost in your old ways – never giving change a real chance.

May 20, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. Anonymous

His grandson is dead from swine flu..have some respect

May 20, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  11. Alex

I wonder of the people trying to spin this into anti-Obama rhetoric (Jon in CA, "What Mubarak is really afraid of is", Dallas Independent, etc) realize how stupid they look. Planet earth to these guys: if you're going to push the GOP agenda, be a bit more intelligent as to where you do this, huh? You do nothing but destroy your cause.

Mubarak has my condolences.

May 20, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  12. Dave

Bush / Cheney did an excellent job and Obummer is trying to distinguish himself as a world class wimp.

Newt for President in 2012!!!!

May 20, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  13. Cindy-San Francisco

That is sad that is grandson passed away. Looking forward to Obama's speech in Egypt. I have traveled through Egypt extensively, and believe me they love both Clintons and Obama big time!!!! I don't have to say how they feel about Bush.

May 20, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  14. Greg, San Francisco, CA

My condolences to Mr. Mubarak and his family. And my continued disdain for morons like Dallas Independent, Jon in CA and Ollie Benjamin. Consider therapy.

May 20, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  15. 22

dave you're a moron if you think bush/ cheney did an excellent job. may your god help you

May 20, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  16. Felicia

Dave, you are a Loser with a capital "L"

May 20, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  17. Tulsa

I'm agreeing with sheena from Canada. I'm disgusted by the comments on here.
    We need to rid this country of the deep seated hate. Our government has got to get civil again.
    Our people need to get civil.
    No to hate.
    That's a NO I can get behind.

May 20, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  18. Shari, NY

Politics aside. Condolences to the family on the loss of a young man!

May 20, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  19. Kevin B

The folks on the posting making light of the loss of a family member or just slamming the president need to get a life, obviously you have none.

As for the killing of muslims, who started this mess? It was the dogmatic, pious anti-religious sects of islam and christianity.

It certainly wasn't the current president

May 20, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  20. Butch Dillon

I'm sure the cancellation was legitimate but it does help Obama in one regard. After the cleansing it must have taken to rid himself of the stench of Nethanyahu, he's liable to need some time to restock his supply of soap before meeting another Middle Eastern slim ball.

May 20, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  21. The Messenger

Put aside your hateful comments and at least give the dead some respect! When the swine flu starts covering the land like a plague you won't have time for this. You have not seen anything yet!

May 20, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  22. Ted

@Jon, sheena, and Dallas I:
    Put politics aside. I think Mubarak isn't a great leader, but that doesn't matters. My condolences go out to his family.

May 20, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  23. Expat American

My Deepest condolences for Mr. Mubarak.

Jon in CA: If the Athaan was played anywhere within ear shot of you; you would be the first one running down the street like a coward. Because that's what a bigot really is....nothing but a simpleton coward.

Would you travel to a Muslim nation and say that? No? Then the same argument applies.

May 20, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |