May 21st, 2009

Biden urges Pennsylvanians to back Specter

Joe Biden wrote a campaign e-mail urging his supporters to stand behind Republican-turned-Democrat Sen. Arlen Specter.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Arlen Specter continues to feel the love from the White House, with Vice President Joe Biden penning a campaign e-mail Thursday for the Republican-turned-Democrat.

"Over the years, we've certainly had our disagreements," Biden writes in the note that was sent to 500,000 Pennsylvanians on the Democratic National Committee/Organizing for America e-mail list. "During that time, however, Arlen has been my friend, my confidant, and my partner in enacting many pieces of significant legislation."

The e-mail includes hyperlinks that direct people to a page dedicated to Specter on the DNC Web site.

President Obama and national Democrats pledged to support Specter in his 2010 re-election run after he switched his party affiliation from Republican to Democrat last month. For now, Specter does not have a primary opponent, but Democratic Rep. Joe Sestak has not ruled out a bid for the party's Senate nomination.

The Specter Web site is the only candidate presence on the DNC Web site, a spokesman told CNN.

"It provides a place for folks who want to learn more about Senator Specter's record of integrity and service, and when they visit we are sure they will see why the President and Vice President see Senator Specter as a key ally in helping to advance an agenda for change on major issues including reforming America's health care system," DNC spokesman Hari Sevugan told CNN.

Another one of the three bullet points highlighted by the DNC is "Judiciary Confirmations: Senator Specter has played an important role in nine different Supreme Court nominations since 1981."

What the DNC doesn't mention is that Specter voted for Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito to join the U.S. Supreme Court, and for then-Justice William Rehnquist to be chief justice. None of the men were exactly Democrats' most beloved justices on the Court.

Full text of Biden's e-mail after the jump

Three weeks ago, my friend Senator Arlen Specter added one more feat to his long and impressive career - he became a Democrat.

Over the years, we've certainly had our disagreements. During that time, however, Arlen has been my friend, my confidant, and my partner in enacting many pieces of significant legislation.

Learn more about Senator Specter's long record of achievement.

For more than 25 years, we've ridden the train together back to Wilmington and Philadelphia. We've had some great debates and discussions on the train - and gotten to know each other so well - that it gives me great pleasure to be able to work even more closely with Arlen now.

His independence, integrity, and piercing intellect will continue to be a tremendous asset to the people of Pennsylvania, and now, to the Democratic caucus in the Senate.

I know that he'll keep up his great work on issues ranging from cancer research funding to global warming, deficit control to immigration reform - and in our coming debate to reform America's health care system.

Thousands of you have already written messages of support, welcoming Arlen to the party, and he was tremendously pleased to receive them.

I know that once you come to know him like I do, you'll be just as happy as I am to have him.

Find out more about Senator Specter's career of service for the people of Pennsylvania:

Thanks,

Vice President Joe Biden

Filed under: Arlen Specter • Extra • Joe Biden
  1. Leon

He is a traitor, against the traditional values of our founding-fathers.

May 21, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  2. Jimmy the Greek

Glad to see the democrats taking their constituents for granted!!

Let's not give the voters of PA a choice in their candidate. Instead – the DNC leadership and White House pushes out any competition for Specter – giving him an easy ride.

No back-room deals going on THERE (eyes rolling). That's called "democracy" in the dems book, eh?

May 21, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  3. CNN watchdog

Change the letter after your name from R to D, and BINGO....Joe and Bo love you! What does this tell you?......

May 21, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  4. gary davis Harbor Oregon

I love seeing Joe Biden smile

it has to be one of the best smiles on the planet
    it is real and I think he would be fun to set down with and just chat about life and what ever
    if Joe sees this
    email me at garysharon2@charter.net

I am on the southern Oregon Coast
    Brookings Harbor

May 21, 2009 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  5. Gary

Spector votes for the pork bill called "stimulus" making our deficit this year more that twice that of Bushes worst year (which was pretty bad already!). He supports Nancy Pelosi in calling the CIA liars. He supports malpractice lawyers (maybe because his son is one). He supports socialized medicine. He supports abortion on demand. He came up with this "single bullet theory" lie that Oswald acted alone in the assassination of President Kennedy (this was his theory! look it up!). I don't think we want Spector back in the Senate. I'd be happy with a moderate Republican or Democrat – – but not with Spector.

May 21, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  6. xargaw

As a Democrat that cannot vote in PA, perhaps what I think matters not at all. If I could vote, Spectar would be my last choice. He is all about himself. Democrat or Republican, he is a thorn in side of progress caring more about face time on cable news than making any real difference in the lives of Americans.

May 21, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  7. Willy Brown

If doofus Biden likes him then I'll votye for the other guy for sure. We already have 1 idoit in the W.H.

May 21, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  8. greenliz

I love Biden. But if Joe Sestak decides to run I am not sure I can vote against him. He actually does hold the democratic parites ideals unlike specter who i believe is just using this for his own political advantage and has shown me nothing to think he will help the democrats in the senate.

May 21, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  9. fools, fooled by obama

no way joe dunderhead.

May 21, 2009 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  10. Lori

Go Arlen! I know you'll win Pennsylvania. I find it ironic that Republicans call Arlen a hypocrite for leaving the GOP but they don't see the hypocrisy in backing Crist in Florida who supported Obama's stimulus bill (the bill they allegedy hate). Go Arlen! Go Arlen!

May 21, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  11. joe smith

AIPAC loves you boys..

May 21, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  12. Texas Teacher

Democrats and people of wisdom all over this country had better stay ahead of the issues... otherwise... the GOP (Grossly Offensive Party) will push you over the edge of sanity and have you thinking about anything BUT the important issues of the day! It's good to listen to the opposition... one needs to know what the enemy is up to... and trust me... the party led by Rush Limbaugh and company is nothing but evil!

May 21, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  13. Geno Malkin

No way, Joe.

Sestak 2010. Just give us a candidate and we'll beat Arlen.

May 21, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  14. SQZ

Senator Biden is an idiot. This is not the prime example though....

May 21, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  15. lb

Senator Spector needs to quietly retire....to change party for political longevity is not what this country needs. Sorry Joe, he won't get any support from me.

May 21, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  16. rlkidd

Once elected our politicans should not be allowed to campaign for any political party.
    Elected officals should represent all Americans not just their own party.

May 21, 2009 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  17. Biden, Specter will do you no favors

Biden, I think you think you know Specter

I suspect that just as fast as he became a Democrat... he will become a repub

he is another Liberman

May 21, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  18. Christine

Oh forget it, turncoat.

May 21, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  19. America Shrugged

Why? He's not going to vote with Dems a majority of the time. He only changed to save his political hide and become a powerful tool to get what he and other republicans want out of the dems.

May 21, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  20. Pat, CA

-----–

That says plenty to me about Arlen's dismal failure. IF Biden endorses him - Specter must not be much of a senator.

Biden is a JOKE!!!!!!!!! With too many hairplugs!!!!!!!!!!

May 21, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  21. David in West Virginia

If Rep. Joe Sestak run for Senate against Arlen Specter, I will assist him as best I can financially. Arlen Specter is a republican in democrat clothing and not worthy of being called a democrat, ever.

May 21, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  22. Amazen1

I love Obama and Biden but hell no to Specter. He is no better than Lieberman. They are the lowest of the low,"traiters". I'm a rabid dem but I don't like turn coats. If he will do that to the Repubs what do you think he will do to us!

May 21, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  23. bob

specter's son is one of the sleaziest ambulance chasers in philiadelphia, a city whose medical system has been ruined by specter, his cronies, and the deadbeat clients he thrives on trying to make an easy buck. as a physician in training, it hurts to know that i can't practice in PA because of this malpractice crisis

May 21, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  24. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

Is he a dino, Democrat in name only or...A rino Republican in name only? Or is just a ploy just to stay in office by any means necessary!
    Only he knows for sure.

May 21, 2009 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  25. annie for Palin

If PA doesn't specter, biden will go there and talk them to death.

May 21, 2009 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |