May 21st, 2009

Bush didn't watch Cheney, Obama speeches

Bush missed both Obama and Cheney's speeches Thursday, a source tells CNN.
Bush missed both Obama and Cheney's speeches Thursday, a source tells CNN.

(CNN) - So what did former President Bush think about President Obama and former Vice President Dick Cheney's dueling speeches on national security policies Thursday?

He didn't watch them.

A source close to Bush said the former president was traveling at the time, enroute to New Mexico where he is the keynote speaker Thursday night at a fund raising dinner for a scholarship program for students at Artesia High School.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Richie

CNN is shutting down comments awfully quickly today. CHENEY SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP.

May 21, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  2. Post always rejected by CNN

I don't really care for Bush for what he let Cheney do to this country. But you can say one thing for him he has more class and character in his toenail, then Cheney and his fellow asinine republicans have in their whole body.

May 21, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  3. JOE

This DUNCE would not unerstand what they were about anyway

And secondly who cares what this war criminal has to say????

May 21, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. Arrogance thy name is Obama

I was hoping that Obama would thank me.

May 21, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  5. marke from NY

bush is a moron. cheney is an empty- brain.

May 21, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. Florida Joe

And we care WHY??

May 21, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  7. JOE

BUSH is barely aware he is even alive...

May 21, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. Lori

I am actually delighted that Bush is keeping silent. But on the other hand, I wish he would talk more to remind the American people how far we've come since his tyranny, I mean leadership. Where was Cheney when we needed the rat to talk during the last 8 years?

May 21, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. LN

What does it say for the former leader of the free world, that the best gig he can get is keynote speaker at some high school? Pretty sad.

May 21, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

Now that the oh so hyped speeches are over, does this mean that I have to be afraid of my new neighbors, who incidentally are Muslim? Should I close my drapes, lock my doors and windows, and cower in fear everytime I leave my house?

Live in fear, die in fear . . .

May 21, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  11. chuck

This is funny to be because i know the liberals are seething because former president bush hasn't said anything. they would be mad if he did say something; but , i think the fact that he doesn't care what either of these idiots say makes them madder. lets sit back and see what they have to say...

May 21, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  12. Givemeabreak

Thanks Bush for showing class, Obama could learn a few things from you. Well a lot!!

May 21, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  13. J in Chicago

I watched it and Cheney's also.
    What I found is that obama is an inexperienced, overmatched, smooth talking idiot.

Cheney chews him up and spits him out on the facts and the reasoning.

obama says we are less safe and offers no facts. he is nothing more that smoothly said words and no substance. his new slogan, "where's the beef????"

May 21, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  14. Shari, NY

I give GWB credit for using the right approach by keeping a low profile. The man recognizes that he already had back to back chances of being commander in chief, blew it, and the torch is now in someone else's hands. Cheney who was obviously the one trying to run the show during Bush's tenure has just awoken and decided to play catch up which is too embarrassingly late.

May 21, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  15. CAROL

We had an election, we have a new PRESIDENT. Cheney and his daughter need to go now!

May 21, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  16. THE MEDIA IS THE MASTER

He couldn't read the directions for the remote.

May 21, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  17. JMOmaha

Could Dick Cheney be preparing for a 2012 run for president?????

May 21, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  18. Shadysider

Bush didn't ruin the country. He was just too dumb to realize that his administration was doing it for him.

May 21, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  19. Shadysider

Hey Cheney – If having terrorists and their sympathizers in our country is a national security threat, then HOW have we been able to keep the blind sheik, Omar Abdul-Rahman, in custody inside the continental U.S. since 1993 without having our security compromised???????? What a fear-monger. Republican law-makers are being completely irrational in an attempt to regain power, much like they did to try to keep power in 2004, and with Atwater in the past. What a sham they are trying to pull.

May 21, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  20. Hope

send them to GETMO please

May 21, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  21. Gone Away

At least Bush is staying away from fighting with the Obama administration, unlike Cheney who is proving that he just can not get over Obama becoming President.

May 21, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  22. S M R

How can Cheney continue to lie and decieve the American people.We are less safe because the unwanted invasion of Iraq with no WMD. The world knew the guilty were based in Afganistan, but Cheney wanted the war in Iraq to take advantage of the American People.Explain yourself truthfully and lets meet you in court. Thanks for the negative talk so the stock market can fall again.

May 21, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  23. dave

Because he knows that they handle the first part of the war wrong. He also may agree with Obama more that he would Cheney I think there's still bad blood with Bush and Cheney.

May 21, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  24. JOE

The one thing I cant hardly wait to see on TV and I will watch every second of then are the war crimes trials from BUSH and CHENEY. And when they are escorted out of the courtroom in hand cuffs..What a great day that will be..

May 21, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  25. FORMER republican, never again!

Just the sight of this man makes me ill.

May 21, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |