May 24th, 2009

Rove sides with Limbaugh

Rove said he's siding with Limbaugh.
Rove said he's siding with Limbaugh.

(CNN) – In the ongoing war of words between Rush Limbaugh and Colin Powell, top Bush strategist Karl Rove is siding with the popular talk radio host.

Appearing on Fox News Sunday, Rove said Limbaugh would edge out the former secretary of state if he "had to pick between the two."

Rove's comments come after a back-and-forth between Limbaugh and Powell, during which both have charged the other is hurting the GOP's chances of success in the future.

Discussing divisions over the direction of the party in the wake of its losses in the 2006 midterm elections and 2008 presidential election, Powell said the party should expand its base.

"I have always felt that the Republican Party should be more inclusive than it generally has been over the years and I believe that we need a strong Republican Party that is not just anchored in the base but has built on the base to include more individuals," he told "Face the Nation."

"The real debate takes place out there in the real world by people getting out there and encouraging the kind of candidates who represent their vision for the party," Rove said.

Filed under: Karl Rove
  1. sharon in pa

i vote for Gen.Powell! As a Republican, he speaks for me.

May 24, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  2. JonDie

Surprise surprise, Rove, Cheney and Limbaugh, none of whom served their country even one day, hate Powell, the guy who did serve his country.

May 24, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. the Film Professor

Well, duh. Rove and Cheney are evil twins, after all.

May 24, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  4. JB

Does anyone really care what the gasbag Rove has to say?!?

May 24, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  5. Lori

The beautiful thing is finally I too agree with Limbaugh, Cheney, and Rove, as a Democrat. I agree that the Republican party should move more to the right. I want to see President Obama in power for the next 8 years! I totally support the Republican party 100% on this one!

May 24, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  6. k3ndall

Rove's decision was solely based on race, not issues. Unless he as radical as the performer, but they both makes majority of people skin crawl

May 24, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. John, Brooklyn, NY

I love it. Rush and Rove versus Powell and Ridge. Keep it up boys and the Republicans will be a mess for decades.

May 24, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  8. inutah

It's sad because the loudest, most irrelevent people in the universe are making a joke out of the Republican party. Colin Powell demands respect because of his history with the military, and his capability to speak intelligently....Limbaugh reminds me of the adolescent bully, not only physically but mentally. Limbaugh is making a joke out of the Republican party...

May 24, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. Smart People

What a surprise...

I think what it boils down to is that Rove is just angry with the world because

A.) he looks like that

and

B.) Because he is mostly known for being another criminal that resulted from the Bush Administration.

May 24, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. katiec

Here we go again. CNN headlining slime like Rove, embracing his every word.
    CNN, we are really getting sick of your bias. Constantly shoving your pick of "experts" down our throats when all of them are hypocritical,
    lying, dishonorable republicans. Course, they are who you support
    but as a news media your should try to show a little integrity in your
    reporting.
    The republicans are trying to destroy our country and us, and you
    appear to back them 100%. How disgraceful and sad.

May 24, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  11. C.R.

Another of Rove's nugget's of wisdom. LOL!

May 24, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  12. The Broker.

Barking Rover. Woof Woof!

May 24, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  13. Bacchus

Of course Karl Rove picked Rush boy over Powell. Rove is a talking neocon head on FOX news. Rove makes Limbaugh look like a choir boy. Have we forgotten the swift boating attacks on Kerry and even the hushed allegations of an illegitimate child by Mccain when Rove was supporting Bush? This guy is so smarmy and disgusting

May 24, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  14. virginia for obama

Wow!!!!!!!!!! What a Shocker?????

May 24, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  15. JLR

What a surprise (Not). – Mr Rush Limbaugh – Stop talking about how you can improve AMERICA. How bout you run for President 2012 ? I have a strong feeling you wont. Why ? Cause you are ALL TALK ... Unless of course you are willing to prove us wrong.

May 24, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  16. John Sevigny

I have to admit I am surprised at the rhetoric flying about. Rush has made his point on Mr. Powell not agreeing with any of the current administrations policy. So why vote for the man? Until Mr. Powell can explain these bewildering thoughts I can,t rightly pay attention to his views.

May 24, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  17. bobbie

The 2 blowhards should make a lovely couple...

May 24, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. Nila in KC

Of course Rove is siding with Limbaugh!

PIGGIES UNITE!!!

May 24, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  19. Dustin Bend, OR

Wow, what news! The only way I would have been shocked is if he had endorsed Powell.

May 24, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. John in Tampa

"Ultimately, Rove said, the debate between Limbaugh and Powell is a "false" one because neither is a candidate for public office."

So I take it Rove is false also?

if [I] "had to pick [among] the [three]," I'd have to go with Powell. I do not approve of all his positions, but he is the only honorable man mentioned.

May 24, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  21. Doug in Utah

Does anybody really care what this former advisor to a former president has to say?? For that matter, what' public office is he running for?

May 24, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. Dave from Jacksonville

....and Karl Rove should be in prison along with the rest of the neo-CONs. Why do we care what that snake says?

May 24, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  23. katiec

Of course he would.
    Add Cheney and you have three of the most evil, disrespected men
    in our country.
    You know, birds of a feather.

May 24, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  24. LOL!!!!

The Republican fat mouths just keep digging a bigger ditch.

May 24, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  25. Karen

Rove and Limbaugh are two of a kind – why wouldn't they stick together. If I were Colin Powell, I would be flattered Rove didn't pick me. It would mean I was doing something right. They are both hate mongers and hopefully has beens. It seems the majority of the Republicans are starting to see the light.

May 24, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |