May 26th, 2009

Liz Cheney doesn't rule out future run for office

Liz Cheney didn't rule out a run for office of her own.
Liz Cheney didn't rule out a run for office of her own.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Liz Cheney, the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney and a former State Department official, said Tuesday that she isn't planning to run for public office anytime soon, but didn't rule out the possibility for the future.

Cheney, who has made headlines recently for an ambitious public campaign defending her father and attacking the Obama administration's national security strategy, said she is currently too busy at home to run for office.

"It's not something I'm focused on right now, I do have five little kids and I'm helping my dad to write his memoirs," Cheney said Tuesday in an interview on Fox News and posted on ThinkProgress.org.

"So I have a pretty full plate right now, but it's certainly something I could," she said before getting interrupted.

But Cheney's comments aren't the first time this possibility has come up. Former President Bush's top strategist Karl Rove was asked on Monday in an interview with Fox News if he thought that she should run for office. He responded, "she might."

Filed under: Liz Cheney
  1. Bill

We all wait with bated breath...

May 26, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  2. I laugh at Limbaugh daily

Your name should carry you far,hahahaha.

May 26, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  3. JT

Could have seen this one coming. Get ready for the Torture Tour coming to a town near you!

Waste of time, Liz. Take it from going on 85% of America. You got nothing America wants.

May 26, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  4. Tomas E

Just what the world DOES NOT need. You're father has enough ego to go around for the both of you and more than America ever wants to see again.

May 26, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  5. jo jo

No more Bushes or Cheneys in the white house. I don’t care if it’s a female version; it’s all the same. The country couldn’t handle it.

May 26, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  6. James M. Holmes

I guess the Cheney's still want to put more people in thier personal torture chamber... Guess just drinking the blood of kittens doesn't do it for them these days?

May 26, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. Dee, NJ

Lis, you are a Cheney (Dick) NUT!, NOT A Kenney!

May 26, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  8. richard

Stay home and play with your twinkie. We need serious people running for office that want a future that doesn't include torture.

May 26, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  9. felicha from florida

Yes, I would love for this ding bat to run.....

Ask Palin to be your VP...

May 26, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  10. Proud Member..Party of No

She's got my vote. In fact, I may join ACORN so she'll have all 10 of my votes.

May 26, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  11. Typical Republican

Oh...very cool. I didn't know if we would have someone around that would carry out more torture. I was going to miss the good ole days when we tortured people.

Please Liz, tell us about all the torture you plan to do, so you can get alot of people to vote for you! Can we gas muslim babies? Maybe round them up in foreign camps, so we can say "hey, constitution and genoeva convention don't apply to them". Oh, and we can say 9/11 to make it all ok, because "9/11" makes all that is evil, including mass genocide, "OKIE DOKIE"

May 26, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  12. Steve M

She would have as much luck in this country as a politician in Germany would if he/she had Hitler for a last name!

May 26, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  13. J.P.

Finally, an unapologetic conservative who blasts liberal nonsense in the face with both barrels (pun intended).

When republicans run as conservatives, they get elected, and by large majorities. When republicans pretend to be "liberal lite" (see John McCain) to try to get the votes of the non-existent "independents" (translation: Dems embarrased to be dem), they get their electoral asses handed to them. (besides, if you refuse to vote for a conservative, can you really call yourself "independent?")

When there is already a liberal on the ballot, who do you think liberals will vote for? The real deal or the Diet Coke of liberal?

May 26, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  14. Harvey for Obama

May God help us all, I hope not.

May 26, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  15. David

She would be better suited for a reality show on FUX News.

May 26, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  16. Angie

Yeah we are all real excited about that(LOL). you sound like a nut case like you daddy. We just got rid of him and the village idiot. give us time to recover. LOL

May 26, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  17. Sniffit

Go ahead. The voters will "rule out" her taking office anyway.

May 26, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  18. Sniffit

"I'm helping my dad to write his memoirs,"

She left out "in blood."

May 26, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  19. Hilary

Oh brother. We don't need anymore politicians who support torture.

May 26, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  20. Bryce

Really? you couldn't tell from her recent media blitz? I'd say she'll be up for office in 2010 somewhere.

May 26, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  21. Billy

no thanks.

May 26, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  22. Turnabout is Fair Play

Don't bother, your creepy, dark, Hitlerized dad did NOTHING to help anyone in this country, only to line his pockets and those of his oil buddies. You WILL be wasting your time if you try it.

May 26, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  23. CMG

Oh please, spare the people of this country. Eight years is more than enough of the Cheney name. I am curious, however, does she know how to aim a gun?

May 26, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  24. Matt

Why is this nutjob even on the air? She can't answer anything directly without quoting the same exact nonsense every single time. Nothing ever is the Republican parties fault and her daddy is the bees knees. I love the question posed to her the other day that if the Cheney family thinks Obama made the country less safe by releasing documents then why is the Cheney family now calling for the Gov't to release more documents. HMMMM...

May 26, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  25. The Marginalizer

This Gay Couple will NEVER vote for a Republican. We all know that GOP stands for Good Old Prejudice and given the words of her father I'm sure she was not brought up to be a good person.

May 26, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |