May 26th, 2009

Liz Cheney doesn't rule out future run for office

Liz Cheney didn't rule out a run for office of her own.
Liz Cheney didn't rule out a run for office of her own.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Liz Cheney, the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney and a former State Department official, said Tuesday that she isn't planning to run for public office anytime soon, but didn't rule out the possibility for the future.

Cheney, who has made headlines recently for an ambitious public campaign defending her father and attacking the Obama administration's national security strategy, said she is currently too busy at home to run for office.

"It's not something I'm focused on right now, I do have five little kids and I'm helping my dad to write his memoirs," Cheney said Tuesday in an interview on Fox News and posted on ThinkProgress.org.

"So I have a pretty full plate right now, but it's certainly something I could," she said before getting interrupted.

But Cheney's comments aren't the first time this possibility has come up. Former President Bush's top strategist Karl Rove was asked on Monday in an interview with Fox News if he thought that she should run for office. He responded, "she might."

Filed under: Liz Cheney
  1. Rushnewtkarl

You have got to be kidding....a convicted felon would beat her in an election just by write-in votes.....and he/she can't even vote.

Another Cheney....what planet does this family truly come from

Hateful spiteful piece of work couldn't get elected dog-catcher anywhere.

May 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  2. Ellen

Okay, let's review her credentials – she was a "State Department official," a job I am sure she earned by merit, right? And she knows how to spout partisan rhetoric and oh yeah, her last name is Cheney.... A party who would support her candidacy for anything would not get my vote

May 26, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  3. pat c

oh pleeese!! give it up mrs cheney. the world will never vote for another cheney in this lifetime. GOD JUST PLEASE...WILL ALL CHENEY'S PLEASE GO AWAY!!!

May 26, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  4. Greg, San Francisco, CA

Her qualifications being???

May 26, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  5. ME IN FL

Not even changing her last name will help her!!!

May 26, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  6. Fla.

Puh-lease. That's hilarious, CHENEY. Thanks, but no thanks.

May 26, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  7. Do I need a magnifying glass yet to find the Rushcheneycan Party tent on the ever-expanding real world campground?

And she'll receive a handful of votes in conservative, white areas only. No person with half a brain would vote for another Cheney. We've had enough of the last one to take us into the next century and beyond. Gee, maybe she can learn some more hateful, biting rhetoric and lies to spew on the campaign trail in honor of Failin' Palin.

May 26, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  8. dan

She can run for mayor of Wasilla

May 26, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  9. Susan

i knew that......wait till Meghan McCain announces the same....
    they are fooling us.....

May 26, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  10. Ben

Because no name has a better reputation in politics than "Cheney."

May 26, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  11. LeMalin

As your daddy's boss said once: " bring it on " Lizzy you got three votes so far: mom, dad and Limbaugh

May 26, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  12. tee

Bring it on. We could show you, better then tell you.

May 26, 2009 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  13. ttofast70@comcast.net

Oh my, I'm waiting with baited breath.

May 26, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  14. Susan

Oh puhleeze.

May 26, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  15. sean

Why is she wasting her time no one will vote for her i wish the bush,s the cheney,s and rush will go away please!

May 26, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  16. Franco Tirado

Liz I used to be a Republican but thanks to your your dad and his war crime pal Bush I decided to become a DEM.. Make sure that while writing your dad's memoirs you include all his lies, that he is also a war criminal and that one day you may visit him, as well as Bush, Condi, Gonzales, Rommie, Rove, the the Hague for their crimes against humanity. YEAP, you should be proud of your dad. If I was you I would run and hide and for sure change my last name. I feel sorry for your kids too.

May 26, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  17. Judy

I'm glad I'm old. One Cheney in a lifetime is enough!

May 26, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  18. Keith in CA

How about PALIN/CHENEY 2012. It's hard to say without laughing, isn't it?

May 26, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  19. FactCheck

Liz needs to spend time on the beauty pageant circuit before the GOP takes her as a serious cadidate.

May 26, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  20. Steven

good luck sister...yah gonna need it, Igor Jr.

Steven

May 26, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  21. Jay

I sure hope she runs. This woman is smart, smart, smart. She would expose liberalism for the flawed ideology it is.

Note the vicious personal attacks she has already been subject to as evidence liberals are scared to death of this woman.

May 26, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  22. Lisa in Shelton CT

Karl Rove sure answered that well, so it must be some glowing endorsements she can expect from Rush and hannity and Powell – and potentially running for a party that not only doesn't welcome, but actually absolutely hates her lifestyle – wow another Cheney hypocrite, who would have thunk it possible?... EVERYONE

May 26, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  23. Neilz

They never stop! They just keep coming back.............

May 26, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  24. Peter

If stupidity was a disease some people would never leave the Intensive Care Unit!!

May 26, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  25. rose

Just wordsssssssssssss. The world does not want another Cheney in any office, most especially, Liz Cheney. Just wordssssssssssssssssss.

May 26, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |