May 26th, 2009

Liz Cheney doesn't rule out future run for office

Liz Cheney didn't rule out a run for office of her own.
Liz Cheney didn't rule out a run for office of her own.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Liz Cheney, the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney and a former State Department official, said Tuesday that she isn't planning to run for public office anytime soon, but didn't rule out the possibility for the future.

Cheney, who has made headlines recently for an ambitious public campaign defending her father and attacking the Obama administration's national security strategy, said she is currently too busy at home to run for office.

"It's not something I'm focused on right now, I do have five little kids and I'm helping my dad to write his memoirs," Cheney said Tuesday in an interview on Fox News and posted on ThinkProgress.org.

"So I have a pretty full plate right now, but it's certainly something I could," she said before getting interrupted.

But Cheney's comments aren't the first time this possibility has come up. Former President Bush's top strategist Karl Rove was asked on Monday in an interview with Fox News if he thought that she should run for office. He responded, "she might."

Filed under: Liz Cheney
  1. tinu

public office, I hope she means like a post office or a lost and found department at the greyhound station.

May 26, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  2. Alex

Liz will be lucky to avoid charges for crimes against humanity in colluding with the foreign policy of her father's terrorist regime. She'd probably have had a pretty good chance to break the gender barrier in the Reichstag, circa 1932, but alas, that window has passed.

May 26, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  3. Dems are Corrupt

Great news! This woman rocks. Liz is smart, conservative, and able to get her message across. Exactly what the GOP needs.

May 26, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. govna

Richard Pryor,where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 26, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  5. Steve in Illinois

She would do well in office

May 26, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  6. tarheel

I wish you well if you're just half the patriot and great American your Dad is. We have got to to win the country back from these left-wing activists that are determined to bankrupt the country to satisfy their narrow-minded agenda.

May 26, 2009 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  7. Us

Go for it, Liz

May 26, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. Had It

HA H HA HA HA – no one would vote to put another cheney in a DC position on power EVER – her daddy and her mouth ruined that - for sure.

May 26, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  9. Marilena

That would be AWESOME!!! Go Liz!!! Palin/Cheney 2012. Libs heads will explode. Hahaha

May 26, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  10. jw

No wonder! That's why she is barking together with her dad. Please, don't think Americans are as dumb as you.

May 26, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  11. Texas Annie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Surely this gal is smarter than to run for office so soon after her father helped deep-six our country. She needs to hold off and let people simmer down a little before jumping into that fire!

May 26, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  12. Mickie

Another Cheney???? No thanks.

May 26, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  13. Dennis D

Liz is a very capable intelligent lady who is unafraid to debate the issues. I have seen her destroy ignorant leftists on many occassions.

May 26, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  14. Eric

Don't know anything about her politics, but if she's like her father she would have one vote. (the sound of liberals crying in the distance)

May 26, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  15. djn

Liz Cheney is brilliant. She is a great asset to the Republican Party, and may one day end up in the White House. I love her!

May 26, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  16. Joey B

I think shes wonderful...hope she actually does it!

May 26, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  17. Paulee

What position was it Mitt Romney chose her for during the primary? I thought she would be great in a Romney cabinet...She is a very smart young lady and comes from good stock....intelligent and a conservative...Romney 2012!!!!

May 26, 2009 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  18. jeremy

please run for any office. that would be great for the DNC

May 26, 2009 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  19. Pat, CA

That would be awesome, Go for it when you're ready, Girl!

P.S. I laugh at the one daily who laughs at Limbaugh daily.

May 26, 2009 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  20. Simmy

A candidate only the lunatic fringe would love.......

May 26, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  21. Stephen

Unless you want to dance with Rush and Dick, you don't have a chance. You are way to smart to get the vote of their followers. Too bad. I think you'd do well.

May 26, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  22. csh

I think we have had one Cheney too many in public office!

May 26, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  23. Patriot Guy

She would be a great leader. I hope she does.

May 26, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  24. Fergus Ferguson

Liz has my vote!

May 26, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  25. MSB

Just what the world needs – another Cheney to make horrendous decisions for the country. Didn't she do enough damage at the State Dept in her 'father's administration'? Focus on your kids, Liz, and pray that they don't grow up as hopeless as the rest of your family.

May 26, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |