May 26th, 2009

Liz Cheney doesn't rule out future run for office

Liz Cheney didn't rule out a run for office of her own.
Liz Cheney didn't rule out a run for office of her own.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Liz Cheney, the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney and a former State Department official, said Tuesday that she isn't planning to run for public office anytime soon, but didn't rule out the possibility for the future.

Cheney, who has made headlines recently for an ambitious public campaign defending her father and attacking the Obama administration's national security strategy, said she is currently too busy at home to run for office.

"It's not something I'm focused on right now, I do have five little kids and I'm helping my dad to write his memoirs," Cheney said Tuesday in an interview on Fox News and posted on ThinkProgress.org.

"So I have a pretty full plate right now, but it's certainly something I could," she said before getting interrupted.

But Cheney's comments aren't the first time this possibility has come up. Former President Bush's top strategist Karl Rove was asked on Monday in an interview with Fox News if he thought that she should run for office. He responded, "she might."

Filed under: Liz Cheney
  1. Keith

Yuck.

May 26, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  2. MissButterfly

I hope she runs in the NEAR future! She's a conservative with the calm demeanor one needs.

May 26, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. Tulsa L

Whoooa she better change her last name.........

May 26, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  4. Dennis

Delusional

May 26, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  5. sparky

Cheyenne is looking for a dog catcher!

May 26, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  6. Lone Star Wolf

Oh boy! WIll she ever learn how much her husband is thought of. I can't believe the woman is that ignorant. Go away Cheneys no one is listening of the likes of you and Limbaugh.

May 26, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  7. RMG

Well, well, well. I wish Ms. Cheney the best, if this is the direction she takes. But, rest assured...she will never have my vote.

May 26, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  8. Miek

Oh, great! The daughter of the most unpopular politician of all time is deciding to run for office. Just what we needed...where'd she get that great idea?

May 26, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  9. One By One

Liz I'm helping my dad to write his memoirs," It should take long ....Terroist , War Monger, Liar and Racist Oh by the way how is Mary ..........Stay home and take care of your 5 Kids !!!

May 26, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  10. IndieDogg

Let's see, are sarcasm and ridicule required here? If not, I'll offer up that I never knew Liz Cheney existed until recently. But, I've watched her and listened to her (which is difficult to do if one's head is submerged in an area of one's anatomy) and I find her intelligent, well-spoken and quite adept at presenting her positions, often in hostile environs, whether or not I agree with the positions taken.

I'd say she deserves placement on the radar, the political watch list, whatever you want to call it.

Sorry I don't have any condescension to top this off. Just an observation.

May 26, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  11. dee

god help us! no more please!

May 26, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  12. rich

I think it's fair to say the country has had enough of the Cheneys and Bushes. If she is wise, she would look for employment elsewhere. Word is things are good in Alaska. She ask Sarah Palin for a job instead.

May 26, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  13. Dawn

Maybe she can spin to the American People that Waterboarding is not torture, just ask MANCOW.... He is a neo-con shock jock from the windy city...It is torture Liz Cheney It is drowning....

May 26, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  14. karen

The way Liz has been chewing up and spitting out the left lately has me wanting her to run as soon as possible. She has more cajones than any Republican in Washington, other than her dad. Way to go, both of you!!!

May 26, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  15. Boris

Don't worry, enough of us are going to give you your vote. Run Liz Run!

May 26, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  16. Aaron

Until we hold elections for village idiot, Liz Cheney may not want to quit her day job.

May 26, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  17. michele

Don't give up that day job, Liz. And she'd going to raise 5 more of them??? Heaven help us all.

May 26, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. Sam

why don;t the Chainy's just go away .. justtt gooo awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

May 26, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  19. MoonDance

I'd vote for her!

May 26, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  20. Lauren

How insane would that be, bring on the three-ring circus.

May 26, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  21. Brad

I hope you do run.....so you can go down in defeat

May 26, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  22. Kerry, CA

Please no.....

May 26, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  23. rushbabe

You go, Liz. Bambi can't talk his way out of a paper bag without the TOTUS. You'll make short work of him. I also have the distinct impression that you actually love your country.

May 26, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  24. Tim

Liz Cheney would be a wonderful candidate. She is smart, unflappable, has common sense, knowledge of foreign affairs and security- and as an added bonus doesn't seem to preen in front of a mirror every night imagining herself as the Queen of the World. Maybe Cheney can save us from the disaster that is Barack Obama.

May 26, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  25. Mia and Mike

Well she should rule it out. I hope to never hear of a future Bush or Cheney running for public office again. And where did the 5 kids come from all of a sudden? I thought she and her girlfriend only had one kid? Or is this the other daughter? Regardless of which one it is, NO MORE Cheneys!

May 26, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |