May 26th, 2009

Pelosi issues statement on Sotomayor nomination

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued a statement Tuesday on Sotomayor's nomination:

"I commend President Obama's nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor as an Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Judge Sotomayor's experiences and understanding of the law will assure a strong voice for fairness on the Supreme Court. Judge Sotomayor will preserve our civil liberties, maintain the independence of the judiciary, and protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

"As the first Latina to be nominated for the Supreme Court, Judge Sotomayor's nomination and life story are a testament to the American values of equality, opportunity, and justice. Her outstanding intellectual achievements - as a student, attorney and judge - make her one of the most qualified nominees in many years. I look forward to her timely confirmation by the United States Senate."

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi • Sonia Sotomayor • Supreme Court
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

@ JLS

I can understand why the WH isn't making statements regarding the matter because like all smart people do, you wait for the facts to come out before you judge. Now on the other hand, which I think is the major issue, was Cheney undermining the President's authority? The torture issue is already on the table, but if Cheney did undermine Bushs' authority, that's an even more serious crime. Ever heard of the phrase Coup de tat? I don't think republicans want to open up that bag of worms.

May 26, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  2. PJ

Not so fast Nancy. Expect the party of NO to throw up lots of mud, obstruction and lies while they try to destroy this woman. The Dems job is to cut this show short and approve it ASAP. This lady seems rightly qualified to be an excellent judge. She's from NY, she'll take no crap from the republicans. They become more repulsive by the day.

May 26, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  3. rodlang

Who the hell cares what the airhead Pelosi thinks. She is completely irrelevant to this process as a member of the House. She has no voice or vote on this matter but that won't stop her from running her mouth.

May 26, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  4. Ruty

I could not have said it better myself. Go girls go.

May 26, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  5. Obama Victim

is an endorsement from Nazi Pelosi something you really want??

May 26, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  6. Proud DHS radical

Nancy needs to worry about her own problems instead of sticking her nose in any judicial hearings. Maybe Obama can send Nancy and Hillary to N. Korea and tell those two not to come back until they disarmed their nukes.

May 26, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  7. deb0155

Nancy: Go crawl back in your hole!

May 26, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  8. Dems are Hypocrites

Why isnt this traitor in Jail???? Why did the Democrats block the investigation about the CIA and Pelosi issue???? Democrats you do understand how big of Cowards you are, dont you? Thank you for giving us a gift wrapped 2012 election.

May 26, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  9. Sharon Kitchen

I believe she will weather the conformation just fine.

May 26, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. Jay Reichenthal

I'm waiting to hear one nice, caring, loving intelligent remark come out of a Republican's mouth.

May 26, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. Tim

You cut out the part where Pelosi said that Sotomayor repeatedly lies to congress.

May 26, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  12. worriedmom

Have they waterboarded Nancy yet! She better write this comment down because I am sure she wont remember it tomorrow.
    Again I would not want Nancy Pelosi endorsing me. A nut job!

May 26, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  13. gt

pelosi is the reason we are in the mess we are now,,,, who gives a hoot what she thinks......

May 26, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. BJC

Pelosi? Pelosi who? Oh, that lady that ran to another country so she wouldn't have to answer any questions from the press?

May 26, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  15. fed up

We don't really caree what Pelosi...A.K.A. liar has to say...we still want to know why hasn't anything been done to her??

May 26, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  16. whynot

If Romney says it back pick – go with it – he is wrong the majority of the time.

May 26, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  17. JLS

@Dutch,
    If you are correct, then all Obama has to do is release the memos. That shouldn't be so hard now, should it? Either Cheney is right, or he is wrong. Let's release it all, see how many Dems were made aware of what the CIA said, and put this out there for everyone to see. And then let the chips fall wherever they may.

May 26, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  18. Nobody

Wow I think that MS Pelosi's comments were very relevant!!!

May 26, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  19. Lisa in Ga

I am so glad that we finally have a President .. that is on target to diversify America. I am tired of the old stale white man attiire.. this is not meant to be racist.. but take a look at history and where we are now

May 26, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. Isaac B.

I personally don't like Nancy Pelosi,this time I do agree with her 100%.Yes indeed Judge Sotomayor is one of the most qualified nominees in many years.I am positive she will be the Judge that will protect American civil liberties and freedoms.

May 26, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  21. Tim

And in the meantime, the Pentagon has acknowledged that 14% of released Gitmo detainees, those very detainees who were deemed the least risky to release amongst all detainees held at Gitmo, returned to the battlefield after their release.

But don't worry, Obama has a plan.

May 26, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |