May 26th, 2009

RNC will strike 'fair' tone towards Sotomayor, party official says

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A Republican National Committee official tells CNN the party will strike a "fair" tone towards federal appeals judge Sonia Sotomayor, President Obama's pick to fill Justice David Souter's seat on the Supreme Court.

"The Republicans are going to strike a tone that's fair, that allows the vetting process to happen like it should, and that's in stark contrast to how the Democrats dealt with Judge Roberts when you look back a couple years ago," the official said.

A story on the National Review's Web site Tuesday morning reported that the RNC had recently asked a possible surrogate to strike a "neutral" tone towards Obama's eventual pick.

However, the official said: "I don't think that you can describe the tone as neutral, but you can describe it as fair."

1. Marie in Texas

the repubs "fair"???? I will believe THAT when I see it..!!

May 26, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  2. Will-South Dakota

Fair??? The GOP hates minorities. A Woman, a Hispanic, a working Mother....she doesn't stand a chance with the GOP Senators.....they hate this type of qualified, expereinced Nominee.

May 26, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  3. fella from Chicago

I'm ok with her as long as she's not seen on P.R Independence Day riding around town holding a P.R flag through an open car window with the car horn blaring away.

May 26, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  4. dominican mama 4 Obama

"One can even become a Republican is they choose to be. It's not hard to do but one must study hard and always strive to be the best they can be."

Cute.I guess you're referring to "C" student Bush vs. our current President, who by the way agrees that we just don't rank in the area of education with other industrialized "first-world" (my words) nations.

I do agree with you,however, that many students just don't apply themselves to succeed. But having studied here and abroad I stand by my original statement vis-a-vis the curriculum.

Thanks for participating.

May 26, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  5. Sniffit

To be fair, there are appoximately 0.996 men for every 1.000 women in the US. Perhaps you should find something other than "minority" to express your view that they are oppressed.

May 26, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |