May 26th, 2009

Sotomayor SCOTUS case history: Intellectual property

WASHINGTON (CNN) – During Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor's 17 years as a federal judge, the U.S. Supreme Court has reviewed her decisions on at least eight occasions. CNN has reviewed those cases and has summarized each in a series of posts. The names and citations reflect the cases as they were known when they first came before Sotomayor.

Tasini vs. New York Times, et al (1997), 972 F. Supp. 804: As a district court judge in 1997, Sotomayor heard a case brought by a group of freelance journalists who asserted that various news organizations, including the New York Times, violated copyright laws by reproducing the freelancers' work on electronic databases and archives such as "Lexis/Nexis" without first obtaining their permission. Sotomayor ruled against the freelancers and said that publishers were within their rights as outlined by the 1976 Copyright Act. The appellate court reversed Sotomayor's decision, siding with the freelancers, and the Supreme Court upheld the appellate decision (therefore rejecting Sotomayor's original ruling). Justices Stevens and Breyer dissented, taking Sotomayor's position.

Filed under: Sonia Sotomayor • Supreme Court
  1. Tina,NC

I don't have an opinion on this but I like that the folks writing @ the CNN ticker are actually looking at the cases the judge has ruled on. I'm really sick of the drive-by journalism going on today!

May 26, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  2. L. Michelle

Mr. Limbaugh's statements reek of the reverse "race card". Not too long ago (pre- Obama) in America if a minority called a White person a racist they would be accused of playing the infamous race card. What is racist about the nominee? When a person makes a statement, they should be able to validate those claims otherwise the statements are slanderous.

May 26, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  3. S Callahan

Well i guess I could see where the 'peeve is with the media about her.
    I guess I'll give one point on this one.

May 26, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  4. Bryan

Nice decision. Favor big business and screw the little guy. Her career does not constitute a Supreme Court nomination from the research I have done thus far.

May 26, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  5. CNN Plz Stop IT

Cnn wonder if that Racist john King is doing your research today !!!!4 Articles Re Sotomayor*** Eyes Rolling!!!!!

May 26, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  6. Jay Henry

On intellectual property law, I must agree with the Supreme court and the appelate court. I have 9 copyrighted articles and wouldn' like them to be reproduced without my consent or at least I should get some royalty payments off any reproductions

May 26, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  7. Mark

Sotomayor voted out qualified applicants in the fire dept because there wasnt enough minorities that scored well.

You know the same principal where she just got her job!!

May 26, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  8. Keith in Austin

Another liberal, activist judge. So why would anyone expect anything else from this President?

May 26, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  9. John G

Great so creating something doesn't make it mine if someone with more money and more influence wants it....

May 26, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  10. Rufus

Pure and simple ;Obama is playing politics ! A hispanic judge for the hispanic vote in the future!

May 26, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  11. candy wilson

I may not agree with all your decisions but I surely admire you and your life..And what you have accomplished SO Congratulations on your Nomination!!! Blessings to you, Candy Wilson

May 26, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  12. annie for Palin

If obama picked her, she has to be a piece of crap – where's her tax returns?

May 26, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  13. Carole

So CNN is on the side of Rush, Cheney, Rove and Rumsfield. Oh wait, State of the White guy Union John and All Bull and Bias Campbell.

May 26, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |