May 27th, 2009

Biden takes dig at Obama over teleprompter use

(CNN) - Joe Biden couldn't help but take a dig at his boss Wednesday when one of the vice president's teleprompter screens fell down during his commencement speech at the U.S. Air Force Academy.

"What am I gonna tell the president?" Biden said as a gust of wind knocked down his left teleprompter. "I'm gonna tell him his teleprompter is broken. What will he do then?"

The off-handed quip immediately drew laughter and some the loudest cheers of day from the graduates.

Obama has long been criticized from Republicans for at times appearing over reliant on a teleprompter, even during short and informal speeches. During the White House Correspondents Association dinner earlier this month, the president himself poked fun at his penchant for using a teleprompter.

"You know I had an entire speech prepared for this wonderful occasion, but now that I am here, I am going to try something a little different - I am going to speak from the heart," Obama said jokingly as his teleprompter rose from the floor.

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • President Obama
  1. Proud DHS radical

I guess the boss will send Joe out of the country soon. Biden is only parroting what the rest of us knows, that Obama without a teleprompter is nothing more than a poor community organizer.

May 27, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  2. RLG

Although I am a big supporter of President Obama, I'm wondering if he picked the right person for vice president. VP Biden always seems to put his foot in his mouth.

May 27, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  3. Peter E

There is nothing wrong with using a teleprompter and preparing to speak clearly. Dubya used teleprompters all the time and still never learned to pronounce the word 'nuclear' correctly!

May 27, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  4. Liberal Democrats are Pathetic

Pretty sad when your own Vice President is making fun of you. There have been more gaffes in this administration in less than six months than there was in the whole Bush presidency. The only difference is that if a liberal makes a gaffe, then it is forgiven.

May 27, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  5. Brad

Not sure why this is such a big deal? Presidents are figureheads, not the real brains in the administration. Not much different from being a news anchor.....ya read what others have written. Talking heads are what this generation is all about.

May 27, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  6. Adam

Matthew I would have much more respect if the investigation on if Obama is a U.S. citizen or not. Access denied on his birth records for this type of investigation....mmm.

May 27, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  7. Blamester

Bush couldn't even read a teleprompter. Hence, it became a point of pride with his vermin.

May 27, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  8. virginia for obama

Hey! JOSEPH BUTT, What about all the TERRORIST THAT BUSH LET GO????????? Also, you need to go lay on the couch buddy and calm your nerves. You sound like you're going to POP! any minute now!

May 27, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  9. Mike

Obama said, "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."

May 27, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  10. Sari

OMG hilarious. Nice to see our leaders keeping their sense of humor after the campaign dust has settled. I'm not sure why people expect the WH staff to suddenly be dour after the election, anyway. Our not-quite-comfortable allies, and even many of those who remain neutral to us, historically tend to warm to us when our leaders are decidedly non-robotic.

May 27, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  11. Charlie

This would be funny if it wasn't true.

May 27, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  12. sally

if the people of this country had any idea how little this puppets run this country, they might flip out. the snot nosed staffers running around thinking this system a big army navy football game, they are running this country. that would be the only excuse how our president thinks we have 56 states, right? oh, that was w/o teleprompter. uh, the kids are running this country and the big figure heads along for the ride. ask them.

May 27, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  13. Obama 2012

He just wishes that he was the president!!

May 27, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  14. jim

For the record, Obama did not graduate summa cum laude from Columbia, nor did he graduate at the top of his class at Harvard Law School. In fact, he has refused to release his grades. In addition, he was not a Professor. His title was Lecturer (which is a big difference). These are the facts.

May 27, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  15. Harvey for Obama

Biden was a mistake. A big disappointment as far as I am concerned. But Obama....big time success.

May 27, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  16. Steve

What is so amazing to me isn't the teleprompter usage, but how poorly he Obama speaks without it. The contrast is so great...the mumbling fumbling stuff he says.

May 27, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  17. Gary

The irony is that Biden desparately needs a teleprompter.

What Obama needs is a plan for balancing the budget.

May 27, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. JonPeter

Maybe Rush and Newt should use a telepromter more often, with the text writtten by someone far more intelligent than they are...

...one second thought it might not work, they'd trip all over words with 3 syllables or more. Look what happened to Bush jr.

May 27, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  19. Nero

so many people here need to get over this. It's not even a story. I give my best friends crap all the time. I bet Obama got a chuckle out of it. You think he really cares? Get real!

May 27, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  20. Nero

To Kevin Denver Colorado... you have the best point I've read so far. With as much press as he gets, he will definitely be one of the most, if not the most scrutinized president ever.

May 27, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  21. malclave

"B. Allow the editors to rid the page of offensive remarks."

CNN, of course, defines "offensive" as anything that doesn't further leftie talking points.

May 27, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |