May 27th, 2009

Biden takes dig at Obama over teleprompter use

(CNN) - Joe Biden couldn't help but take a dig at his boss Wednesday when one of the vice president's teleprompter screens fell down during his commencement speech at the U.S. Air Force Academy.

"What am I gonna tell the president?" Biden said as a gust of wind knocked down his left teleprompter. "I'm gonna tell him his teleprompter is broken. What will he do then?"

The off-handed quip immediately drew laughter and some the loudest cheers of day from the graduates.

Obama has long been criticized from Republicans for at times appearing over reliant on a teleprompter, even during short and informal speeches. During the White House Correspondents Association dinner earlier this month, the president himself poked fun at his penchant for using a teleprompter.

"You know I had an entire speech prepared for this wonderful occasion, but now that I am here, I am going to try something a little different - I am going to speak from the heart," Obama said jokingly as his teleprompter rose from the floor.

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • President Obama
  1. FORMER republican, NEVER again!

JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI – you are a bitter, angry man. How sad. Remember, hate only hurts the hater.

May 27, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  2. Bee

He makes Dan Quayle look like a Rhodes Scholar.

May 27, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. Fan of Common Sense

When a president is not even coherent enough to speak off-the-cuff to even informal parties and gatherings at the White House without reading a script, there's something wrong. Like the time a few months ago when Obama actually thanked HIMSELF because someone put up the wrong speech. (If Bush had done something that hair-brained, it would have been the ONLY story in the media for a week.)

This maybe a little humorous, but Obama's excessive reliance on speech writers and telepromptors is indicative of a lack of original thought and a low-level of intelligence......presidential qualities I don't find very amusing.

May 27, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. Democrat but Independent Thinker

@Doug 4:16pm ET

*************Obama speaking from the heart is the same thing as trying to milk a bull, the equipment is just not there.

A liberal with a heart, ha ha ha, yeah just like a liberal who believes minorities should be free to choose their own beliefs, views, and ideology.***********************************************************

$$You have to be absolutely Racist, Ignorant, Stupid and Evil for the following comments u left below. That is the problem with the GOP voters. You call a man who is (based on His resume) obviously educated, smart, intelligent, moderate, kind hearted and family oriented a less than intelligent person. This is a FREE country the last time I read the Constitution. You blog as if this is 1969 and all African Americans and minorities still are required to drink at separate water fountains and sit at the back of buses.

May 27, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. Newsjunkie

Joe B. you're an idiot and racist.

May 27, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. FORMER republican, NEVER again!

single mom – on earth, where have you been? If gwb had of been scrutinized as much as President Obama he would have been impeached his first term for all his crimes he committed, i.e. lying to the world about the WMD's just to start the war. Need more examples???

May 27, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. Felonious Monk

Bill ~ Down on the Bayou May 27th, 2009 4:34 pm ET
    "It would be interesting to know who is pulling their strings and where in the middle east they reside."

the Bush crime family is on the saudi payroll, or did you not get the memo. The Carlysle Group recieves money from the Saudis. Arbusto Energy, when W was in charge of the company, received money from of all people, The Bin Laden Family to keep the company from going under.

Q: Who is in the back pocket of the Saudis?
    A: The Bush crime family.

May 27, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  8. Doug, New Jersey

Ha ha, peejay you are a lib so you talking about morals is like getting advice on how to throw a Bar Mitzvah from Osama Bin Laden.

No clear thinking person who has an ounce of morals would vote Democrat, ignorance is no excuse now peejay, you read my post so you now know the truth.

May 27, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. Simmy

I totally agree with all of the positive remarks....The usual negative party poopers can go back to FOXES and Limby......They sound so out of touch and out of place.......

President Obama uses a teleprompter to be precise and stay on message.....The words on the teleprompter are written by him.....I don't get the obsession with it.......I don't get the mentality of the GOP......Got their butts kicked because of negativity, and still feel good about continuing their negativity......I don't get it - but I like it.......2010 – 2012 here we come.......

May 27, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  10. strong

See, Barack cannot operate without a telepromter. He is not a great orator, anyone can read off a cue card.

Even Biden, of all people, admits to this.

May 27, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. Austin

I like that Obama and Biden can have senses of humor about themselves. I think they recognize they're serious men in serious positions, but that doesn't mean you can't show a little humility sometimes with some self-deprecating humor. This isn't a gaffe. It's just good, clean fun. I like it.

May 27, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  12. Plugs

Biden is pure comic gold...but because he's tied to Obama, you won't see anyone making fun of him.

May 27, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  13. colokid777

Did you know that there were 200 empty seats at AFA graduation? They could not even give them away! Hmmm... coincidence? I don’t think so.

May 27, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

At least Bush didn't let are country down when we were in danger people forgot about that. over 4000 people died in one single day in september. so don't tell me bush started this war. you forget on that day you could have asked dem or rep and they were all ready to get even.

May 27, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  15. Paul

@ JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI, wow I take it your a whitey (or perhaps we should use the other word huh?)

May 27, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. Rod

If I were Obama I would put a gag order on Biden. harmless remark or not, this guy makes so many ill advised comments.

May 27, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  17. Tom Hanna

It must be a slow news day if you news "experts" consider Biden's comment a dig. Where I come from a dig is a mild insult. I don't think
    the VP's comment was a dig. It was just a unworthy of the news comment, that CNN and the rest of the media uses to keep the public's attention.... I've been watching more MSNBC lately because of this kind of reporting...

May 27, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  18. jm for sc

Kevin Denver Colorado, that is a true statement.

I would like to know the difference in reading from a printed document and reading from the teleprompter? Could it be- he likes keeping his head up while reading rather than looking down?

Maybe our last president needed to keep his head down because he had more to hide.

Biden and Obama loves each other, don't let the media fool you.

May 27, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  19. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

white as white can get and i wouldn't want to be anything else.

May 27, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  20. colokid777

Simmy, you poor kool-aid drinker. He does not write his own stuff. When he does try to wing it, he stumbles like the fool he is. Oh, and that butt kicking you are refering to. Lets look at the numbers. McCain/Palin lost by less than Kerry did. Hmmmm..... so by your definition Kerry got his butt kicked. ROFLOL... Seriously, use the brain God gave you and do some research.

May 27, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  21. Sweetie

To Joseph "Butt" you have serious issues man. See a shrink this is not the place to spew your hatred.

May 27, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  22. yegads

It was a joke, people.

May 27, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  23. KLK

It was a joke people. Chill out already.

May 27, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. Tatianna

I remember the libs spent eight years telling us how dumb President Bush was. However, President Bush wasnt afraid of answering tough questions from a hostile press. Love him or hate him, President Bush was real. I hope someone is already adding text to Obama teleprompter for a speech to be given in a year or two that will remind us of LBJs words: I WILL NOT SEEK, AND I WILL NOT ACCEPT THE NOMINATION OF MY PARTY FOR THE POTUS.

May 27, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. Mike S., New Orleans

At least Obama didn't have an ear feed during the presidential debates like Alfred E. Nueman did.

May 27, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |