May 27th, 2009

Biden takes dig at Obama over teleprompter use

(CNN) - Joe Biden couldn't help but take a dig at his boss Wednesday when one of the vice president's teleprompter screens fell down during his commencement speech at the U.S. Air Force Academy.

"What am I gonna tell the president?" Biden said as a gust of wind knocked down his left teleprompter. "I'm gonna tell him his teleprompter is broken. What will he do then?"

The off-handed quip immediately drew laughter and some the loudest cheers of day from the graduates.

Obama has long been criticized from Republicans for at times appearing over reliant on a teleprompter, even during short and informal speeches. During the White House Correspondents Association dinner earlier this month, the president himself poked fun at his penchant for using a teleprompter.

"You know I had an entire speech prepared for this wonderful occasion, but now that I am here, I am going to try something a little different - I am going to speak from the heart," Obama said jokingly as his teleprompter rose from the floor.

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • President Obama
  1. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

What has mr. Nobama do for the black community "NOTHING" I know i live in the hood and nothing has changed.

May 27, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Sniffit

Being able to laugh at your own foibles shows humility...not sure we've seen that from a POTUS and VP in a long, long time. Doing it with something the GOP has turned into a mindlessly repeated talking goint is even better because it takes their ownership of it away from them.

May 27, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  3. Democrat but Independent Thinker

President Obama uses a teleprompter because the VERY minute he slips or gaffes while he is speaking it will be Headline News for one week.....

By the way..he writes his own speeches...and he did write a book or TWO before he became president so he can read and speak better than the last White House resident.

May 27, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. demwit

Obama is well spoken.., even if he is just reading it.

May 27, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  5. Post always rejected by CNN

AND bush never used one.....all the time. AND how about that promptor box on his back at the debates. But then with the MSM in bush administration's pocket no one dared say anything.

May 27, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. Sandra

Joe Biden is a Communist, Socialist, Racist.
    :P I am saying this because Limbaugh is my Hero.

I am an addict like Limbaugh. I too talk under the influence of Pills.

America is Great with people like me and Limbaugh.

God Bless America.

May 27, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  7. Balance

Everyone uses teleprompters. I'm using one to type this message.

May 27, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  8. Enlightened Voter

JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI – thanks and please don't stop your posts. As a PROUD LIBERAL DEM you and people like you are guaranteeing a 2012 win for President Obama! Thanks man, your the best! xoxoxoxoxo

May 27, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  9. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

I don't hate the man i am trying to prove a point. When you say something about obama everyone gets offended.

May 27, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  10. RealityKing

Gust of wind or slight of hand to keep from addressing the serious foriegn policy issues now arrising out of our weak presidental leadership??

May 27, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  11. Tony

"Obama has long been criticized from Republicans for at times appearing over reliant on a teleprompter, even during short and informal speeches."

At times? Ha! If Obama's speechwriter dies, I don't think he'll ever go out in public again. Obama unplugged is some of the funniest incoherent babble that you'll ever hear!

May 27, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  12. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

Like i said in my first statement "DOUBLE STANDARDS"

May 27, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  13. jenn

I am aghast at the people who are questioning Barack Obama's intelligence. He is one of the most intelligent men ever to hold the office of President. His qualifications are impeccable. Laurence Tribe called him "the most brilliant student I ever had," and that's saying something (although I suspect most of the critics here have no idea who Laurence Tribe is, which is saying something about THEM).

You can try to delude yourselves into thinking that Obama is a dimwitted empty suit, but it only serves to make you look idiotic and possibly racist. Admit it–most of you think that Obama was some kind of affirmative action student at Harvard Law School. I bet you don't know that he submitted a race-blind application. But then, I wonder if any of you could find Harvard on a map.

May 27, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. Cheryl

Doug from New Jersey,

Did you forget that the majority of the voting public did vote democrat?

May 27, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  15. Eric in Denver

@ Paul since you have been living under a rock your entire life I want to update on you on what happens every time that a republican opposes a hispanic or black candidate. Your party will label every person a racist that even thinks of questioning a hispanic or black candidate. I just wanted to make sure you knew since Al Jazeera andn the NY TIMES won't mention that.

May 27, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  16. Joe Unger, San Francisco

So who says Obama writes all the stuff on his teleprompter?
    Obama has to watch every little word he says? That suggest George Bush has more courage, he said he didn't pay attention to polls and "Bring 'em on!"
    Obama is not courageous but yes, he watches every little word he says, that is true. Does that mean he is fearful of Rush Limabaught jumping on every little word he says?

May 27, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. Karl in SLC

I just love this, he makes a joke directed at Obama, but it is indirectly a slap to rightwing nutjobs.

And what makes that even funnier, they don't even realize it.

May 27, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  18. Truth Be Told

marie in california –

you must be referring to your american idol, gwb.

May 27, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. Chris

President Obama uses a teleprompter for one reason and one reason only. He is not well spoken and he is lost without it. He is constantly in campaign mode and speaks in jargons. He is a one term President. He ran as a moderate and is acting like a radical

May 27, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. enoughisenough

I'm really starting to like Biden-too bad he teamed up with Obama.

May 27, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  21. Democrat but Independent Thinker

Absolutely amazing how a (Rush)white male can call (Soto)hispanic female a racist because she discusses another hispanic woman...and a white male was not picked but Rush(a white male) is NOT being racist.....geezzzz.... pls people..U need prayer seriously.

Thank God this is a democratic voting system... 50.5% is all thats needed for a win.

May 27, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  22. Sherry

I don't understand why using a teleprompter is drawing such negative comments. I honestly don't care if he uses a teleprompter or notes for his speeches. What I DO care about is how he runs the country. I am always amazed at the things people find to criticize other about. Give it a rest and find something more constructive to say or do.

May 27, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  23. JM

Seriously, who cares if he uses a teleprompter?? I doubt all of those making fun of it could remember every word of every little thing you ever say, so why should he be required to do the same??

May 27, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  24. Sniffit

The funniest part? EVERYONE uses a teleprompter nowadays. EVERYONE. The whole issue arose because someone was making fun of one of Obama's speaking ticks...his tendency to "uh" when he's thinking through how he wants to say something or what to say next. I'll take that over a mindless zombie who memorizes and repeats by rote anyday.

May 27, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  25. gngpp

@ Joseph Buttacavoli

Your name says it all. You need to remove your head from your Buttacavoli.

May 27, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |