May 27th, 2009

Biden takes dig at Obama over teleprompter use

(CNN) - Joe Biden couldn't help but take a dig at his boss Wednesday when one of the vice president's teleprompter screens fell down during his commencement speech at the U.S. Air Force Academy.

"What am I gonna tell the president?" Biden said as a gust of wind knocked down his left teleprompter. "I'm gonna tell him his teleprompter is broken. What will he do then?"

The off-handed quip immediately drew laughter and some the loudest cheers of day from the graduates.

Obama has long been criticized from Republicans for at times appearing over reliant on a teleprompter, even during short and informal speeches. During the White House Correspondents Association dinner earlier this month, the president himself poked fun at his penchant for using a teleprompter.

"You know I had an entire speech prepared for this wonderful occasion, but now that I am here, I am going to try something a little different - I am going to speak from the heart," Obama said jokingly as his teleprompter rose from the floor.

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • President Obama
  1. Dave

Biden made a funny! And I bet nobody laughed harder at that than Barak. :)

May 27, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  2. Teleprompter of the U.S.

Oh, man, Joe, Obama is going to chastise you but good for making fun of him. He doesn't like criticism of him and doesn't like people making jokes about him.

May 27, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Tulsa

JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI May 27th, 2009 4:58 pm ET

I don't hate the man i am trying to prove a point. When you say something about obama everyone gets offended.
    ++++++++++++++
    No, when you say something STUPID and blatantly RACIST, people take offense to it.
    Funny how the other rightwing nutcases just lap it up.... oh well, birds of a feather...

May 27, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  4. CNN = Jerry Springer of News

Adele May 27th, 2009 4:29 pm ET

President Obama is just a very disciplined man who never leaves anything to chance. That's the way I like him. And what is wrong with having a teleprompter ? Many on this blog are so inarticulate in writing I would cringe to hear them speak !
    ----------------
    Exactly, Adele. We had a 'shoot from the hip' President and look how well that turned out. Using a teleprompter is standard. GW Bush used one, it just didn't seem like it because he either didn't know what was being written for him or just couldn't understand the words. I am happy to have a President who is overly prepared.

May 27, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  5. FORMER republican, NEVER again!

DaveNate – I totally agree, 911 happened on the republicans watch. How did they keep us safe????

May 27, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  6. Charlie in Maine

Every time Joe Biden makes me groan because of his "one liners" I stop and thank God that this Vice President only beleives in toturing phrases, words and situations. I agree with Tina I love him gaffes and all.

BTW Marie, since he writes most of his own speeches the telepromter is more to keep him from forgetting what he wants to say which is much better than being a puppet on a string like W.

May 27, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  7. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

Tell me one thing he has done so far to make our lives better. and don't say give him time because that will be his excuse for the next 4 years tell me one.

May 27, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. Melissa

meh. I wish everyone would quit freaking out about the teleprompters. Its childish. Not to mention that the Shrub should have used them. He probably wouldn't look like such a moron.

May 27, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  9. Ms. Marple

Republicans complain that Obama uses the teleprompter too much, me thinks Republicans protetht to mucheth – do they even remember the dim bulb we've been subjected to for the last year, let alone which party put him in office – the great communicator he was not, speaking of which, the great communicator was rather "scripted" in every one of his speeches as well – do the R's even HAVE a memory?? OMG!!

May 27, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  10. mike

there is our crazy uncle joe.. We luv him even thought you wince of what he might say if you bring him down from his bedroom to join the party.

BTW.. he is prob the first VP that the other party and 99% of country hope DON'T have to step in as president. he would be gold for the media but th whole deal could be frightening.

May 27, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  11. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

wait until NORTH KOREA starts our oil prices will go through the roof besides the point there making nobama look like a fool.

May 27, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  12. NWisconsin Boy

Wow..it looks like some of the folks commenting are off their meds..
    I believe the topic is using the teleprompter. I think that Obama is wise to use it so he can keep the eye contact and stay on message. It's no worse then reading a prepared script. As for Biden, maybe he might be wise to use the teleprompter more often..might cut back on his gaffs!

May 27, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. A. D.

Hay Joseph Butt...... Black as Black can be and I don't want to be anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 27, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. Once You Vote Black

I voted for Obama and I am glad he uses a Teleprompter. I you don't like it go back to Europe.

May 27, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  15. John - New York, NY

What is this stuff I'm reading about "blame for 9/11?"

What the hell is wrong with some of you people? Republican AND Democrat? Why does it HAVE to be someone's fault? Why don't we blame the people who actually perpetrated the crime?

Bill Clinton ignored Bin Laden at crucial moments. But when he DID try and intervene, Republicans stated that he was trying to deflect attention from one of his many scandals.

When George W. Bush received critical intelligence on Al Qaeda before 9/11, they noted it, but didn't do much. On the flip side, does anyone know how much intelligence they get on a day to day basis?

Some of you are pretty...well..sick. That's all I can say.

May 27, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  16. brad

What's the big deal with the teleprompter usage. He either use that or read from a paper like others. Both are the same thing. Prepared speeches. However, that being said. Biden was funny.

May 27, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  17. IndyVoter

Really? PEOPLE! You CANNOT be the President of the Harvard Law Review, a constitutional law professor, a graduate of Harvard Law school, who argues legal cases, does press conferences and town hall meetings, and runs for the highest office in the land for nearly 2 years without being able to speak well publicly!!! Most people criticizing on here would soil their shorts and stumble all over themselves if they had to do half of the public speaking that Obama had to do BEFORE he ran for office....please stop with the teleprompter nonsense...its really getting old!

May 27, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  18. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

I am sorry i forgot we were talking about the telepromtor, i just get so worked up talking about this idiot. it irks my skin.

May 27, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. Once You Vote Black

This is like a set up. CNN sets you up with a story like this so the GOP can come out swinging. Little do they know getting upset about a teleprompter makes you look stupid and drives GOP members on the fence to become indy or go Dem. You take the bait and fall of your own weight. Smarten up GOP, pounce on Barack Husain Obama when he does something wrong, not just because his name is mentioned.

May 27, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  20. Jake

Good for Joe. Just goes to show the republicons how silly and trivial this really is.

May 27, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  21. ruth

There are times I either agree or disagree with what the President says, but one thing I can't stand anymore is to watch him speak. I feel like I'm not watching the same tennis match he's watching with his head going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

May 27, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  22. ProudRepublican

Biden might be funny but Obama is still running this country into the GROUND while all the liberals laugh about it. Not too bright are ya? And no I don't listen to Newt-so get off your Soapbox-

May 27, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  23. PJ

Poor Joe is a good guy, but has a big mouth.

May 27, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  24. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

ya think they would bolt his telepromtor to the stage duh.

May 27, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  25. Democrats are American Al Quaeda.

LOL, "9/11 happened on a Republican's watch"

Well, more than half of the hijackers were already in office by the time Bush took the oath of office, it was coimpletely planned during Clinton's watch, Clinton could have accepted Bin Laden 3 times and that would have probably short circuited 9/11, and Clinton refused to even brief Bush because Clinton bought into the BS way Gore was trying to steal the election, and Bin Laden said he started planning because he was emboldened by the way we responded to terrorism in the 90s.

9/11 was about 90% Dem fault.

May 27, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |