May 27th, 2009

Biden takes dig at Obama over teleprompter use

(CNN) - Joe Biden couldn't help but take a dig at his boss Wednesday when one of the vice president's teleprompter screens fell down during his commencement speech at the U.S. Air Force Academy.

"What am I gonna tell the president?" Biden said as a gust of wind knocked down his left teleprompter. "I'm gonna tell him his teleprompter is broken. What will he do then?"

The off-handed quip immediately drew laughter and some the loudest cheers of day from the graduates.

Obama has long been criticized from Republicans for at times appearing over reliant on a teleprompter, even during short and informal speeches. During the White House Correspondents Association dinner earlier this month, the president himself poked fun at his penchant for using a teleprompter.

"You know I had an entire speech prepared for this wonderful occasion, but now that I am here, I am going to try something a little different - I am going to speak from the heart," Obama said jokingly as his teleprompter rose from the floor.

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • President Obama
  1. Debbie in Texas

If you are giving a speech that will be heard around the world, you are an idiot if you don't use a teleprompter or some note cards. If you have ever spoken in front of a large crowd, you know what I mean. If you say "um" 50 times during a speech or forget what you were going to say, that is much worse. Obama might be the president, but he is also human.

Biden should be slapped on the hand for disrespecting the president.
    He should be setting an example for the citizens of this country, not acting a fool.

May 27, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. Jenny

LOL. This was pretty funny and I am a Dem. It was a joke. Stop taking everything so seriously. Joe has a good sense of humor. Maybe someof the late night guys can use it.

May 27, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. tony

Use of a teleprompter is indicative of someone who likes to be prepared before speaking in public– nothing more.

May 27, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. CAMI - Queen of the "in moderation" he**hole.

@ Joseph Buttawhatever:

If you don't like the "hood" why don't you do something to get yourself out of there, instead of waiting for the government to do it for you?

I'd rather see someone use a teleprompter than, constantly have to look at the top of their head when they look down to read their notes every other sentence.

May 27, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. Doraine Gordon

President Obama is the best speaking President I have heard in my lifetime. He can use the teleprompter better than anyone too. He comes across as being very smart. I like the way he always keeps Joe Biden by his side. That shows the people that these guys get along very well. We need more togetherness in our country. The Republicans are constantly trying to keep our country divided. That is why we are slowly replacing all of them with Democrats!!

May 27, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  6. Maryann Rose

Man, that Joseph Buttafuco gets tons of his comments posted, I cant even get one!

CNN hates me.... :(

May 27, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  7. Daisy

Take some midol, people.

I thought the story was hilarious. :)

May 27, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  8. Denis

Everyone having fun listening to these neo-cons trying to find things to criticize Obama over, raise their hands. I knew I was going to be very pleased when he took office, but I just didn't have any idea it was going to be this much fun. You crackers keep those cards and letters coming. “We’re not laughing with you, we’re laughing at you”!

May 27, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  9. Chi Town

LOL... it's like having Mo, Larry and Hillary in the Whitehouse...

May 27, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  10. Ken

He needs to replace Joe with Hillary. God forbid anything happens to Obama.

May 27, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  11. BJC

jenn May 27th, 2009 4:59 pm ET

I am aghast at the people who are questioning Barack Obama's intelligence. He is one of the most intelligent men ever to hold the office of President.

No we are aghast at the fact that the people who voted for this narcissist are so stupid. I guess for people so stupid anyone that's black and can speak proper english is intelligent to them.

May 27, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  12. Piia

I like that he chose to speak from the heart after the teleprompter incident. Obama would be lost without one, but I think all presidents should take a lesson from Bill Clinton-he knew his speeches by heart.

May 27, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  13. FORMER republican, NEVER again!

Democrats are American Al Quaeda. – and republicans are the American taliban, words mean nothing when they aren't true. But the FACT remains that republicans say they kept america safe but they forgot that 911 happened on THEIR watch. You can say it was planned twelve years prior but it still happened during the rethuglican watch when they supposedly were keeping us safe.

May 27, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  14. michael

doug, why can't you comment without using the word liberal/libs so much. it really doesn't help your case when its the only thing you ever say.

May 27, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  15. Chi Town

IndyVoter

That would all be true... if without one he didn't sound like a pathetic second grader who avg's 23 Ahhhs.... per minute.

May 27, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  16. Dave in Illinois

These guy's should take their act to Vegas. Their talents are wasted in politics. Obama and Biden could be right up there in history with Martin and Lewis, Abbot and Costello, George and Gracie, and Laurel and Hardy,

May 27, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  17. Curt

Racism and hate mongering aside ( Joe Butt ) , President Obama has more intelligence than most of the postings I have read on this silly little news story. I remember the entire time a very popular Clinton was in office there were rabid Losers crying about anything Clinton. I really do not understand the mentality of any person who has such hate.

We have reached a patrician level of stupidity. Why would Biden “insult” his boss? He would not. He has been known for years to come off with a quick joke that sometimes does not seem funny. I am glad to see the refreshing and honest humanity that Biden represents.
    Obama is a Law Professor. Hello serious educational degrees, IQ and plus plus plus… Jealousy from high school drop outs and bigots that have never studied or passed any college course really hurt his feelings. I am sure he cry’s to sleep every night from all the mean things people say.
    Oh on Teleprompters, who cares?

May 27, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  18. CAMI - Queen of the "in moderation" he**hole.

CNN – PLease explain to me how Joseph Buttacavoli gets his messages posted like he's twittering, and the 2 that I've written in the past 10 minutes just disappear into the ether somewhere. Is he a personal friend of the moderator?????

May 27, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  19. SJW

Biden just can not keep his mouth shut when he should.

May 27, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  20. Ken

Hey, BUTT, – Go back to Fox or Rush's blog!! You say you'll "never vote democrat again" – we can ALL tell that you never ever have voted democrat.! That would require some sensitivity.

You are a rude pig. 'Nuff said!

May 27, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  21. Democrats are American Al Quaeda.

Obama uses a teleprompter to not say Um about 473 times in a 40 minute speech. That makes him smart., although he has had some speeches where he said Um and Ah constantly.

When Bush said Um and Ah, well, that made him dumb. Gotcha.

If people actually listened to what Obama was saying they wouldn't think he was so smart.

But I guess all his gaffes just make him look smarter, right? Right?

May 27, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  22. Dan, TX

I think Biden has a great sense of humor. It's fun to rib your buddies. Obama can take a joke, why can't everyone else. What happened to America's sense of humor?

May 27, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  23. A. D.

I don't think the President is sitting around worrying because Biden made a joke about him using a teleprompter. The President is an adult, he makes fun of himself. And if he didn't like it he could call Joe to the Oval Office and have afew words with him. But if President Obama could take all the names the Republicans have been calling him, and he can show class and dignity, while he is being call everything, but a child of God. He can take this joke by Joe. As usually the HATERS trying to make something out of nothing. What people like that Butthead, guy don't understand is the President and First Lady could care less what name he calls them. If this put food on his table or a roof over his head, or make his life better, so be it. But the Obamas haven't gotten were they are at by letting racists fools like him stop them. And more power to the Obamas. President and First Lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 27, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  24. tony

The Republicans are still laughing at Obama's use of teleprompters. However, the Democrats are still laughing at the Republicans over the election results. If everything stays the same the Democrats will do just fine in the foreseeable future.

May 27, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. Tulsa

Democrats are American Al Quaeda. May 27th, 2009 5:28 pm ET
    LOL, "9/11 happened on a Republican's watch"

I'll remind you one more time, moron, the Bushies threw away the intelligence report from the Clinton WH that Bin Laden was preparing to attack the US.
    It is the arrogant Bush/Cheney administration that let 9/11 happen. It was also their arrogance that let the goodwill of the entire free world slip away by the stupidity that IS Iraq.
    Go to bed little mind.