May 27th, 2009

Biden takes dig at Obama over teleprompter use

(CNN) - Joe Biden couldn't help but take a dig at his boss Wednesday when one of the vice president's teleprompter screens fell down during his commencement speech at the U.S. Air Force Academy.

"What am I gonna tell the president?" Biden said as a gust of wind knocked down his left teleprompter. "I'm gonna tell him his teleprompter is broken. What will he do then?"

The off-handed quip immediately drew laughter and some the loudest cheers of day from the graduates.

Obama has long been criticized from Republicans for at times appearing over reliant on a teleprompter, even during short and informal speeches. During the White House Correspondents Association dinner earlier this month, the president himself poked fun at his penchant for using a teleprompter.

"You know I had an entire speech prepared for this wonderful occasion, but now that I am here, I am going to try something a little different - I am going to speak from the heart," Obama said jokingly as his teleprompter rose from the floor.

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • President Obama
  1. Jeff, Tennessee

Has everyone forgotten how much Bush used teleprompters and still managed to screw it up? Just look at old speech videos. Right there it is .. big as can be - the teleprompter.

May 27, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

when u post a comment hit the refresh button on your computer.

May 27, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  3. Tulsa

Chi Town May 27th, 2009 5:35 pm ET
    IndyVoter
    That would all be true… if without one he didn't sound like a pathetic second grader who avg's 23 Ahhhs…. per minute.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    It's called THINKING before you SPEAK.
    When Bush did it, he was just lost. When the President does it, he's looking for the best way to get his point across.
    I would wager that you wouldn't be able to say two words in front of the cameras.

May 27, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  4. NotALemming

Hey, Biden actually said something relevant! Now that's "change" I can believe in!!!!!

May 27, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  5. Andrea Anderson

Just curious Marie in California and all of the other Obama haters, the President graduated at the top of his law class, headed the law review and wrote two best selling books, what are your academic achievements? Never mind, not curious anymore!

May 27, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  6. jnette

There is definitely something "wierd" going on with the relationship between Biden and President Obama!! Instead of stabbing Obama in the back .... Biden should just resign before things go to far.

May 27, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

hey where is my stimulous check, Bush gave me one. lol

May 27, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  8. John M. - New York, NY

This is where it all comes out. Cafferty reels people in, and the idiots come out to play. That goes for you, Republicans. And that goes for you, Democrats.

I'm a Republican. I don't care if the man uses a teleprompter everywhere he goes. Is there a noticeable difference between his speech patterns when switching to "off the cuff?" Yes. Of course there is. He wouldn't be human if that didn't happen. Did anyone listen to Bush, or Biden for that matter, off the cuff? They're awful.

Honestly though, to those of you calling out Republicans repeatedly on this thread, you look silly. Because obviously you outnumber any Republican that can write a sentence by a wide margin, and even those Republican posters are questionable. Because it sounds rehearsed.

May 27, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  9. Bitter Republican, party of No I mean one, your table is ready!

That's right my little pandering Republicans, be distracted over this gaffe. You need to forget that your party destroyed America over the past eight years.

You need it to forget that a Republican President and Republican controlled Congress was in charge when 9/11 happened.

Forget........forget.....

May 27, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. IndyVoter

To Tatianna: "Love him or hate him, President Bush was real"

When you can show me some REAL WMDs in Iraq then we can talk about whether Bush was real or not. He was real alright...real good at getting this country into trouble!

To Dave N CA:

Wow! Did you just call President Obama a "lying Mooly"? I need not say another word, your unadulterated bigotry speak for itself. God bless you because you definitely need it.

May 27, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. No Hillary = No Obama

Well, the look of dismay on Obama's face when Biden said something of a joke with Chief Justice Roberts made me want to puke. I say good for Joe Biden – who does Obama think he is anyway? Mr. All Perfect?

May 27, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. Tim

It's nice to finally have a president that can actually use a teleprompter without screwing up anyway. Bush was an awful embarrassment to this nation everytime he opened his mouth.
    At least this administration has a sense of humor. Not like Darth Cheney and John Wayne Bush.

May 27, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

and mike tyson had 300 million dollars and he wasn't bright at all.

May 27, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  14. Lisa

Obama doesn't have time to memorize all his speeches, using a teleprompter is the practical solution.

Poor Joe.

May 27, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  15. kenny

Bye, Bye, Biden.

May 27, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  16. susan

It's fine to use a teleprompter when you are delivering a speech, but you have to question a politician's sincerity when he needs a teleprompter to say he loves his wife. He ought to know what he thinks and how to express himself on most issues without a teleprompter. He's scripted because his whole campaign and presidency is one big public relations operation. Things are written for him to say that the public wants to hear. People hear them and think he's great. Then he does the opposite and the public doesn't pay attention. Examples of hypcorisy? No earmarks except 9400 of them; No military tribunals but not really; no lobbyists working in my administration, except the ones I want to have. There are so many more examples but I'm out of space.

May 27, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  17. Alice Lorenzotti

It's too bad that CNN has to sour this with the perjorative "mocks." Both Joe Biden and the President appear normal, affable individuals who've enjoyed their respective times in the limelight and can take a joke at each others' expense.

Our past President didn't have a clue and his VP has turned everything he touches into fractional danger zones. Yet CNN gives him headlines like a hero.

Is it the need to provocate to make money or is CNN really in the trap? Get a clue about objectivity and maybe you can enjoy having a competent Pres & VP for awhile.

May 27, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  18. NOBODY

@Tulsa I think your comments are relevant. We all forgot that your worked for the CIA, FBI and also the defense department. Please ignore all of our comments.

May 27, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  19. John M. - New York, NY

"Bitter Republican, party of No I mean one, your table is ready!"

Whoever you are, you sound like you have the IQ of a bag of rocks.

I've already spoken to this "fault allocation" with regard to 9/11. I happen to blame the guys who did it. Not Republicans. Not Democrats. Because BOTH parties were asleep at the wheel, when in power, when it mattered most. But that doesn't mean we heap blame on Americans – fellow Americans, for the worst mainland atrocity in the history of our union.

Nobody, except maybe for you, is being "distracted" by this "gaffe."

Idiot.

May 27, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  20. Once You Vote Black

I grew up in NYC in a BUTTACAVOLI neighborhood. I remember the smells that use to come out of the Italian Store. Smelled a lot like BUTT. That is why I can id with BUTTACAVOLI. He complains about being from the hood but does not lift a finger to get out. He crys about Obama because he cannot dream of an African American, or Negro as he put it running the free world while he sit on his couch with the remote coming up with zingers. Hey Pizon, drink your Peronie and cut the baloney. Obama has created more jobs in the hood then Scalia has ever created.

May 27, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  21. The Editor of this blog is FULL of STUFF......

Dear Editor of this blog:
    There is no way in hell that JOSEPH "BUTTAFUC" (spelling intentional) can get to write seven(7) different messages out ot the 105 that I read before I sent in this piece.

These pieces are turning into RACIST incoherent sacks of dog-mess.

Train your editors OR they have lost me...AHH... NOOO...Maybe they ARE trained. Shame on you CNN. If I wanted to read such TRASH.... I'd go to Fox News. AHHH...NOOO are you copycatting the FOXSTER. Clean up these blogs.

May 27, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. Matthew, Houston, TX

It's so funny to read the comments about Pres. Obama not being smart, not having any intelligence, knowing nothing, etc. from the same people who can't spell nor have any grammatical skills.

I'd have a bit more respect for their opinions if Obama hadn't graduated from Columbia summa cum laude, hadn't graduated at the top of his class from Harvard Law and hadn't been editor of the Harvard Law Review.

I'd have even more respect if they could prove they did better than he did at ANY school.

May 27, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  23. rob-nyc

indyvoter-are you a mooly?

May 27, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  24. rob-nyc

i mean what is a mooly anyway-i am from upstate ny-not too sure what that even is??

May 27, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. John M. - New York, NY

"May 27th, 2009 5:54 pm ET

Dear Editor of this blog:
    There is no way in hell that JOSEPH "" (spelling intentional) can get to write seven(7) different messages out ot the 105 that I read before I sent in this piece."

Um, do yourself a favor.

A. Stop complaining.

B. Allow the editors to rid the page of offensive remarks.

C. Refresh your page every few minutes to see your posts.

It's rather easy.