May 27th, 2009

Durbin won't support Burris in 2010

Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin said Wednesday that he will not support fellow Illinois Sen. Roland Burris for re-election in 2010.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Dick Durbin repeated Wednesday that he would not support his colleague from Illinois, Sen. Roland Burris, for re-election in 2010.

Durbin said he told Burris that he was "disappointed" to read a federal wiretap transcript, released on Tuesday, which showed that the junior senator had offered former Gov. Rod Blagojevich campaign cash while trying to win a Senate appointment.

"We stuck our neck out for him and said if you do this thing, you'll do it in a proper, professional way, then we can stand behind you being sworn into the Senate," Durbin said, according to NBCChicago.com. "And I just don't think his testimony was complete and accurate."

Durbin has in the past called for Burris' resignation.

Filed under: Dick Durbin • Rod Blagojevich • Roland Burris
  1. Sarah

Nor should he. Burris has proved himself to be dishonest, ineffectual and egotistical.

This is the right thing for Durbin to do.

May 27, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  2. Buddy Gilmour

Even though he's a politician, I still feel a bit sorry for Burris, who it seems was actually quite naive. Blago used him and now on top of that is dealing dirt for a little relief on his charges. I wonder if the feds have offered Burris a deal to come clean on the Blagos (both Rod and Rob) and I'm interested to see who else Blago will rat on. But I don't expect Blago has anything he can offer up on Rahm, who you know could see through Blago from a million miles away!

May 27, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. SLM

Nobody should support Burris in 2010. The guy is lucky he is still there, he should have done the right thing and resigned. If Illinois supports this liar, it would only show how corrupt they like to be.

May 27, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  4. Mari( maybe one of my comments will be posted)

From day one of the Burris appointment, something did not seem right. Mr. Burris should have declined the appointment given that it was tainted.

May 27, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Burriss is great for the Republicans. Nothing better than a Democrat train wreck.

May 27, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  6. Gracie

Rolland Burris has been nothing but a walking "contradiction". This guy just keeps digging himself deeper into a black hole. Unbelievable.

May 27, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  7. Grrr-awful-o

...and the rats started jumping off the good ship, Burris...

May 27, 2009 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  8. Bill in Illinois

Well – Roland got what he wanted, the opportunity to add another line to his list of accomplishments on his marble monument. I am sure that he knew that the only way he would be able to do that was to get appointed since he doesn't seem to be able to win an elected office on his own merits.

Sad thing is that Roland seems to believe that he deserves to be where he is and seems unable to seperate fact from fiction as to what happened. He needs to do all of the voters in Illinois a big favor and resign. As it is he and the state of Illinois and its people are reduced to laughingstocks.

May 27, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. John

Why don't you Republican loosers get a new hobby. The very worst of the worst Democrat is cleaner and more honest that the best of your gang. You lost and for the best of reasons so get over it. As to Burris and Blagoyovich if there is so much criminal activity why haven't there been any convictions after all of this time. It didn't take long at all to put a lot of the Republician crooks in jail.

May 27, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  10. LYNETTE IN CA

I agree w/Durbin! You can't say under oath that you had not spoken w/Rob Blago, then try to amend your statement by saying you forgot such a conversation!!! I've read the transcript. There's no way he would have forgotten that conversation ever.

May 27, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  11. fella from chicago

No one should support Burris, but never count a black politician out in Chicago, Cook County, or Illinois.

May 27, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  12. Albo58

Let me get this straight, Burris lied to the Illinois and Federal governments and Durbin is "disappointed"? Dear Sen. Durbin, you may be surprised to learn this act, even for a Democrat, is ILLEGAL! You and your party reeks of hypocracy!

May 27, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  13. Michele

Funny, when I heard the tape, I didn't hear Burris offering anything...and if the record shows he never PAID anything to anybody, where's the beef? If he did, that is another matter, but accepting a phone call from the scumbag Blago brother is not a crime in and of itself.

May 27, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  14. Funny-Unny Unny

Really CNN, there's a scoop.

For the record, NOBODY is supporting Burris for th 2010 election, not even the people of Illinois. LOL

May 27, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  15. Hair-larious

I would support Burris if I could find him. The last I heard he was still stuck in Blago's hair. When Blogo washes him out, I might support him. LOL

May 27, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  16. Pat, CA

A little late Durbin. The Dems needed Burris' vote on the stimulus plan, so they "let him in." NOW they're all "upset" about him. LOL

May 27, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  17. Angie

@No Hope May 27th, 2009 5:43 pm ET
    _______________________________________________________
    Please, Obama has a more diverse cabinet then the village idiot. YOU people just can't get over the fact that OBAMA is president and he is making BETTER choices then the village idiot. YOU people are a joke. rush limpball "oxycontin king", crazy cheney, vilage idiot and evil eye rice. the list can go on and on. LOL! get over it.

May 27, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  18. No Incumbents 2010

Surely this is all just a big misunderstanding that can be cleared up by a grand jury inquiry so the voters can see that Burris is the most honest politician Blago knew to appoint. Besides, Burris has good statewide name identification unlike other candidates that are unknown. Burris is honored to receive the honor and perks of a U.S. Senator. The fact that Burris wanted to raise money for Blago had nothing to do with his politican ambitions. Surely the voters will be honored to elect him.

May 27, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  19. Had It

Burris is an embarrassment to all people of the United States. I certainly think he should be ousted immediately and never ever ever ever given any benefits for warming a senator's chair for 4 months.

GET RID OF THE CROOK (and I'm an independend leaning democrat).

May 27, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  20. Burris Is Still A "Fugitive"

The only one supporting Burris is Burris. Oh, and maybe his wife.

NEWSFLASH: Did you know that Burris is a movie star? He is in the 1993 movie with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones, "The Fugitive". Specifically, the St. Patty's Day Parade scene. When I saw him I laughed out loud, and thought to myself, he was still trying to win votes, even back then. Apparently it didn't work.

Burris is still a fugitive, only this time he's running from the truth.

May 27, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  21. Roland Burris, Still A "Fugitive"

The only one supporting Burris is Burris. Oh, and maybe his wife.

Burris is still a fugitive, only this time he's running from the truth.

May 27, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  22. Jasmine, MI

The only one supporting Burris is Burris. Oh, and maybe his wife.

Burris is still a fugitive, only this time he's running from the truth.

May 27, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  23. ray ray

Racist! Typical white man refusing to support a black man running for congress!!

wha? It was Democrat Dick Durbin? Oh sorry... I thought you were a conservative republican. My bad. Didn't mean to call YOU a racist, no. Democrats, blacks, hispanics, gay, lesbian – NONE of these could ever be racist.

May 27, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  24. Ken in NC

Well it looks like Senator Burris got his last wish anyway. He can now add the entry "United States Senator" to that last block at his Burial Place. That's all he wanted anyway. He never cared about anything else.

May 27, 2009 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  25. Energy

Durbin or DUMB? Who cares who you support, hypocrite!

I am moving to Illinois to challenge you. I do not see why you and Osama do not want a black senator again. Shame!!

Qui Pro Quo is a common political practice everywhere. We are all guilty of it. You have done it, Obama did it with Hillary and Governor Richardson. You will do it again with black community. Obama tried it with Ms. Kennedy of New York. He will do it again with Mr. Kennedy of Illinois.

May 27, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |