May 28th, 2009

Bush: 'The information we got saved lives'

In a Michigan speech, Bush spoke out about his administration's efforts to combat terrorism.

BENTON HARBOR, Michigan (CNN) – Former President George W. Bush on Thursday repeated Dick Cheney's assertion that their enhanced interrogation program was legal and garnered valuable information that prevented future terrorist attacks.

In his largest domestic speech since leaving the White House in January, Bush told an audience in southwestern Michigan that after the September 11 attacks, "I vowed to take whatever steps that were necessary to protect you."

Although he did not specifically allude to the high-profile debate over President Obama's decision to halt the use harsh interrogation techniques, and without referencing Cheney by name, Bush spoke in broad strokes about how he proceeded after the capture of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in March 2003.

"The first thing you do is ask, what's legal?" he said. "What do the lawyers say is possible? I made the decision, within the law, to get information so I can say to myself, 'I've done what it takes to do my duty to protect the American people.' I can tell you that the information we got saved lives."

But Bush avoided the sharp tone favored by his former vice president in recent weeks, and went out of his way to stress that he does not want to disparage the new president.

"Nothing I am saying is meant to criticize my successor," Bush said. "There are plenty of people who have weighed in. Trust me, having seen it firsthand. I didn't like it when a former president criticized me, so therefore I am not going to criticize my successor. I wish him all the best."

The former president was speaking to nearly 2,500 members the Economic Club of Southwestern Michigan. The format of the speech was changed at the last minute when Bush decided to answer questions directly from the audience members, instead of responding to pre-submitted questions provided to a moderator.

Bush repeated his disclaimer about not passing judgment Obama later in the speech when asked about North Korea's test of a nuclear weapon. Before answering, the 43rd president said that he is "in no way trying to shape my successor's decisions or criticize them."

"I know there are news people here, and they love conflict," he said.

On the topic of how to respond to North Korea, Bush said diplomacy is impossible without leverage.

"A lot of times people want to give out the carrots," he said. "My attitude is, you give out the carrots when the behavior changes."

After his opening remarks, Bush engaged in a nearly hour-long back-and-forth with audience members that touched on nearly all aspects of his presidency, from the September 11 attacks to his ban on embryonic stem cell research to his consultations with advisers as the economic crisis hit last year.

He strongly defended his Troubled Asset Relief Program as crucial to preventing capital markets from freezing up, which he said would have led to another Great Depression. He noted that he remains "a free market guy."

Bush was asked what he thinks about conservative pundits who claim the Obama administration's fiscal policies are opening the door to socialism.

"I've heard talk about that," he said. "I think the verdict is out. I think people are waiting to see what all this means."

The former president earned a noisy standing ovation when asked what he wants his legacy to be.

"Well, I hope it is this: The man showed up with a set of principles, and he was unwilling to compromise his soul for the sake of popularity," he said.

Bush also revealed the topic of the first chapter in his forthcoming book, which he said will be about "the stories of my administration as I saw them." That first chapter, he said, will be answer the question: "Why did I run for president?"

An aide to the former president did not disclose how much he was paid for the speaking appearance, which was booked through the Washington Speakers Bureau. After the event, Bush flew to Toronto, where he will appear tomorrow at a forum with his White House predecessor, Bill Clinton.

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Popular Posts • President Bush • President Obama
  1. Bob of Lompoc

Hate to say it. Don't want to go through another Watergate but he is beinning to look like Alfred E. Neuman again. He and Cheney know they are guilty, there m ay be consequences, and they are running for cover. Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick tock.

May 29, 2009 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  2. james naumann

He came to office letting 9-11 happen on his watch 9 months after his adminstration came in. He committed a war of choice in Iraq after OIL, and his principals include torture..Worst president in history. 4487 brave American miltary killed in Iraq on his watch..He left a mes!!

May 29, 2009 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  3. Jeff

What does Bush think about the vital Limbaugh vs Powell issue thats currently the most important issue to every Republican in the country?

May 29, 2009 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  4. Ron

I understand President Bush's wish to defend his time in office. I appreciate, that in contrast with many others, he is taking a respectful and cautious stance on his predecessor.

May 29, 2009 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  5. Patrick

And we executed Japanese soldiers after WWII because they did NOT get good information? Ridiculous.

May 29, 2009 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  6. james naumann

it's the truth, no moderation !!

May 29, 2009 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  7. Ty

I voted Obama but I just love this man, Bush. As a republican, I could not trust McCain/Palin enough. And although I have my reservations about Dick Cheney, I completely felt that if I were to do it again, I would vote for President George W Bush twice. He may be wrong sometimes but he is a man of convictions...a real leader. God bless you W.

May 29, 2009 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  8. Felonious Monk

May be Canada will arrest him

May 29, 2009 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  9. Mark Schultz

"Well, I hope it is this: The man showed up with a set of principles, and he was unwilling to sacrifice his soul for the sake of popularity," he said.

Huh?

More like:

"Well, I hope it is this: The man showed up with a set of principles, and left with a set of steak knives," he said.

May 29, 2009 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  10. Betsy

The man has class.

May 29, 2009 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  11. Agnes

Oh no, he's back and more inarticulate than ever. We knew his sllence was too good to be true.

May 29, 2009 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  12. PMJ

Bush no doubt pushed the bounds of executive power. But unfortunately for his critics, he stayed within the limits of Article II and the law as it stands.

May 29, 2009 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  13. Gina

You don't work for us anymore(you never really did). Go away.

May 29, 2009 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  14. Dan

Re-write this article. The errors are numerous and embarassing. It's like you let G-W write it himself!

May 29, 2009 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  15. Captain America

Former president Bush is 100% correct and the bottom line is he saved American lives not our enemies lives.

All those who want to give our enemies rights and a fair trial must ask themselves a simple but easy to answer question.

And to quote president Bush: you are either with us or your with the terrorists.

VIVA BUSH!!

May 29, 2009 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  16. arnold sprague

Guess ol' Uncle Dick called and told the kid to defend the party line.
    It was nice, while it lasted, to have some presidential silence.

May 29, 2009 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  17. f0rtyLeGz

I'm glad to know that the end justifies the means. But wait, whose philosophy is that? The Nazis, and the communists!

May 29, 2009 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  18. Karen

WE MISS YOU!! Thanks for you and your family's service to America! My children will be taught about how you stayed true to your promise even under extreme pressure...good days to you, President Bush!

May 29, 2009 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  19. WesternAgenda

Bush spoke in Calgary, Alberta, Canada back in March.

May 29, 2009 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  20. Mike Mundy, Houston, TX

Thank you for keeping us safe, Mr. President. Again, Thank you!

May 29, 2009 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  21. Rich

Book will include pop-ups of naked muslim pyramids and Cheney hunting attorneys at a quail farm.

May 29, 2009 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  22. BPOWER

Not a Bush fan, but it was gracious and genuine.

May 29, 2009 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  23. Doug Phelps

Listening to Bush speak is like watching two dogs screw. Not worth the time.

May 29, 2009 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  24. David Hammond

Does anyone care?

May 29, 2009 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  25. jlc

Thank you, Mr. President! Even though I disagreed with some of your policies, the man showed up with a set of principles, and he was unwilling to sacrifice his soul for the sake of popularity. THAT is very rare for a politician whether democrat, republican, or independent.

May 29, 2009 12:11 am at 12:11 am |