May 28th, 2009

McCain takes a side California governor's race

Meg Whitman has won the endorsement of Sen. John McCain.
Meg Whitman has won the endorsement of Sen. John McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, will endorse former eBay executive Meg Whitman Friday for governor of California, a Whitman spokesman said.

Although Whitman hasn't officially announced her candidacy, McCain will endorse the Republican at a town hall meeting in Orange County and then join her in Fresno for a news conference. Whitman's spokesman Mitch Zak said that McCain's support "continues the campaign's momentum."

"John McCain is an American hero," Zak said of the 2008 Republican presidential nominee. "We're honored and humbled to have his endorsement. We're looking forward to working with him to improve California."

Whitman served as national co-chair of McCain's presidential campaign. She received another endorsement Thursday when House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R-Virginia, announced that he was backing her.

"The state needs a leader with a creative vision, with a formula for success that can address the fiscal challenges that you face and there is no one better than Meg Whitman," Cantor said in a statement posted on Whitman's web site. "I'm very honored to be part of her team."

Republicans former Rep. Tom Campbell and California Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner have officially announced their intentions to run for governor of California in 2010.

Filed under: John McCain • Meg Whitman
  1. Republicans are the American Taliban

Show you love McCain by wearing teabags on your head at the townhall meeting. Twitter during the meeting instead of participating. I hope everyone attending is anti-abortion because if you're not...you are not welcome....and not an American.

May 28, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  2. Bob of Lompoc

"Into the valley of death, rode the six hundred". CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE

May 28, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. HB

Only Californians who are happy with the way things are would vote for her.

May 28, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  4. Moderate Democrat

Hey, how did your last Republican Governor do for ya? Ah, that's right, the mess was caused by him. You ever notice the pattern?: Republican in charge, things go to crap. And Ironically enough, Eight years as well. Republicans turn everything to crap. Cities, Counties, States and even entire country.

Republicans, the problems to all of our solutions!

May 28, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. travis_bdboy

Keep your bloomers on Meg.....he's a Maverick and might get Mavericky

May 28, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  6. Jim in San Jose

Given how badly John McCain did in California last year, his endorsement might just be the kiss of death, particularly in the general election.

In the primary, she'll have to cater to the conservative crowd who doesn't trust McCain at all while the independent voters in the general election think he's clueless. I would be very surprised if he was much of a help.

May 28, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  7. Teleprompter of the U.S.A.

"Ah, republicans are endorsing her. That's all we needed to know. Don't vote for them.
    Republicans, the problems to all of our solutions!"

Well, unless you ignore the fact that Obama has quadrupled the deficit. Will triple national debt, if we're unlucky to have him for 8 years, and is indebting us to China for decades to come.

But keep on thinking what you're thinking. You're great at it.

May 28, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  8. Teleprompter of the U.S.A.

I was going to take the chance to post on how unattractive she is but then all these liberal attack dogs came out of the woodwork as usual.

I guess I'll have to refute their idiocies.

May 28, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  9. Dawn in Pa

McCain is singing, California here I come from, right back where I started from.... Instead of singing Home on the Range.

May 28, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. Truthhurts

If Senator McCain wants to put his energy into helping a State why doesn't he start with Arizona. Huge deficits, shrinking tourism, legislative paralysis and that nutjob Joe Arpaio could all use attention. Best of luck with that re-election campaign Johnny boy.

May 28, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. Typical Republican

oh...McCain endorsed her. Can't wait to vote for her! That's all I needed to know. Thanks my dude for letting me know who to vote for! You rock! You big bad torture victim that performed as a propoganda disc jockey, condeming and being unloyal to, america during vietnam. You're my hero for turning tail and singing like a canary. I love americans that aide the enemy and then come back and tell us how they are so patriotic, despite their treason.

McCain, the dude that committed treason, is MY HERO (with Benedict Arnold coming in a close second).

May 28, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  12. Ted Tartaglia

It's not a surprise that McCain, who sold his soul to right wing religeous zealots is supporting a woman whose lack of ethics represents the soul of the RepubliCON party. Remember Whitman's insider IPO stock deals. Another example of RepubliCON sleeze.

May 28, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  13. James M. Holmes

I guess "telepromter of the USA" is CNN's "conservative plant" to make it seem that there are actually more Republicans out there than there really are huh? No one could really be this stupid, could he?

He seems to be able to post over and over, but I'm betting over half of the liberals viewpoints are never posted... I guess this is "fair and balanced" CNN style...

By the way Telepromter... since you NeoCons never said a thing about G. W. Bush running up the deficit in 8 years, all your fake crying over the matter has NO CREDIBILITY.. .In fact, it was your hero – Dick Cheney" that famously said "...deficits don't matter"... Did you forget about that or are you just a hypocrite? I'm betting the later!

May 28, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  14. jason twombley

ummm i think if John McCain publicly ensorsed me, I'd drop out while i was ahead.

May 28, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  15. AJ

Hero? John McCain is an American ZERO!!!!

May 28, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  16. Truthhurts

Like a telepromter you have no ideas of your own. If you don't understand the concept that the ecomony was great when W took office and was in shambles when he left then you will not comprehend even basic facts. Go back to listening to that drug-addled clown Limbaugh and Dick 'dead aim" Cheney.

May 28, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  17. Longtime NorCal Democrat

California has only had 2 Democratic governors since 1967, and one of them was recalled.

Republicans are not inherently bad, and I'd rather a CA Republican over Gray Davis any day.

Since 1967, there have only been 2 Democratic Governors in California: The aforementioned Gray Davis, and Jerry Brown. California went through a lit of positive changes over the past 42 years under Republican governors.

I blame the state's current woes NOT on Arnold, but on trickle down from the crimes of the Bysh Administration.

May 28, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  18. IsaacTheForcedCatholic

Great! That makes it even easier for me who NOT to vote for.

May 28, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. bloganator

Let's see....EBAY got in trouble for selling Nazi mementos, EBAY got in trouble for selling John Wayne Gacy paintings.....hmmmm

Do you really want to cheese off the governator?

Finally......how did John McCain do in CA in the election last November.....is he a hero in CA......???

May 28, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  20. Teleprompter of the U.S.A.

I said that Obama will make us indebted to China for decades to come, but like my friends at the CIA I may have misled you a bit.

We were already indebted to China for decades to come before Obama took the Presidency. Sorry, I forgot about the whole Iraq War and TARP thing. Whoops!

May 28, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  21. Deb n Texas

McCain is the worse person to endorse anyone. If I were running for governor – I would not want his endorsement. She would do better without it!

May 28, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  22. AJB

I wouldn't think a mccain endorsement would be worth the breath it takes to say it.

May 28, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  23. Hammer

McCain should go home and stay. Oh yes and keep his mouth shut.

May 28, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  24. SLM

Unfortunately in this Bluer than blue state no republican stands a chance. A Democrat will win and screw this state up worse than it already is. Yeah, I know you Dems want to blame the so called Republican Arnold, Nice try, but the fact is years of Democratic controlled over spending on every entitlement program are what got us into this mess. To this day they refuse to deal with the real issues. They need to eliminate the free school lunch programs and benefits to illegal aliens, only to name a few. Arnold took over from the lousy Gov. Gray Davis and was good for awhile, but he never got control of the Dems over spending habits, he gave in to them and went along with wanting to raise our taxes sky high. The next Dem in office will do just that, raise them some more.

California needs to wake up and quit voting for Democrats.

May 28, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |