May 28th, 2009

NYT: Bill Clinton holding grudge against Ted, Caroline Kennedy

In an article in an upcoming issue of New York Times Magazine, former President Clinton discusses his wife's new role as the country's top diplomat.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bill Clinton's campaign-year resentment of President Obama is a thing of the past, according to a lengthy profile of the former president in Sunday's New York Times Magazine - but he hasn't quite come to terms with the Kennedy family's decision to back Obama over Hillary Clinton during the primary season.

Clinton reportedly has yet to make his peace with Sen. Ted Kennedy and the Massachusetts senator's niece, Caroline, over their high-profile endorsements of Barack Obama during the primaries.

The Times, also citing unnamed sources, says Clinton harbors hard feelings toward New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who held several posts in the Clinton administration but who chose to endorse Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

The former president has adjusted to his wife's new role on the international stage. "She used to look forward to me coming home from wherever I've been," Clinton says in the magazine article. "Now I'm afraid I'll be second fiddle to whatever world leader she's just met.

Later, he added: "... We've reversed roles."

Clinton also made clear that his vast network of global contacts and knowledge of world affairs is always available to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "'If she asks, I tell her what I think,'" the former president says in the profile. "And if there's something that's going on that I feel that I have particular knowledge of, I say that.'"

1. Anonymous

I just read another comment....Bill Clinton, PLEASE just go away from your wife's place in life, and find the place that your brain can be of some use. You will hurt her so much this way.

May 29, 2009 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  2. janelle

Maybe if Bill hadn't tried to convince people he was the new JKF during the 92 campaign, the Kennedy's wouldn't still be holding a grudege against the Clinton's. The best part about the Kennedy's backing Obama was that the press dug out and aired that old footage again of the slap down Clinton got during the debate. "You sir are no JFK"!!!!!

May 29, 2009 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  3. M J

Let it go Bill.............

May 29, 2009 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  4. Carol

I am so tired of people saying in their blogs,"sit down and shut up". It is truly disrespectful to a former president and to anyone for that matter. There is very little civility left in this country. Just because one person makes those comments, doesn't mean that everyone else should follow along and be just as rude.

May 29, 2009 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  5. TRUTH

the TIMES are stirring the pot, the Clintons are a class act for the DEMOCRATS

May 29, 2009 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  6. hop

Ted Kennedy and his entire family are disgraceful anyway, i mean how many times have people had to cover for him? Countless

May 29, 2009 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  7. Robert

I am a great admirer of the Kennedy brothers, JFK, RFK, and Ted. They were instrumental in ushering progressive politics after years of staid conservatism.

However, I thought it was a selfish act by Ted to challenge the sitting Democratic president for the nomination. His primary campaign was DOA. Still, he pursued his pompous ambitions all the way to the convention; effectively damaging Carter (already slim) chances to be reelected. (An argument can be made that Hillary won the popular votes in her contest against Obama. But the upstanding, democratic loyalist, threw her support behind the party's nominee, and kept the party united as one.)

Obviously, Teddy and Caroline viewed the Clinton's as threats to the Kennedy dynasty. They knew that the only way to stop the Clinton's was to somehow get black democrats and the liberal wing of the party to turn against them.

The Kennedy's motivation was jealousy. Bill Richardson is and always has been an opportunist. He gambled on the liberal darling, Obama, hoping for an important job in the administration. It's poetic justice that he got nothing.

May 29, 2009 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  8. Carol

I don't know what ever caused every one of my blogs to have a notation above it that it is "awaiting moderation," but to me it is prejudicial.

Please remove that comment so I am able to enjoy free speech just like everyone else. I don't believe I have ever said anything half as bad as some of regular bloggers on this site.

May 29, 2009 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  9. MCD, San Francisco, CA

Clinton and everybody else missed the whole point. The Kennedys and Richardson picked the person they felt would be best for The Country. We need to get past all of the political manuevering with all the politicans worrying about themselves and their careers. Forget all this loyalty crap! These politicans work for us and for The Country.

It isn't about them.... it is about all of us.

May 29, 2009 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  10. renea

Why hold a grudge when whats done is done. Just let bygones be bygones move on Bill.

May 29, 2009 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  11. robynsalmon

i totally respect how it must feel to have payback Not be paid back.
    but...
    in something as signally significant as
    c in c,
    they had to go the way they felt
    and as much as i WORSHIP HRC as well as BHO and WJC
    i still feel they might have had a good reason due to feeling perhaps HRC had some 'baggage' that BHO didn't so as good politicians(sort of like people who make business deals) they went with the 'better bet'. Turned out well in the long run and HRC certainly has her role cut out for her in Korea et al....

May 29, 2009 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  12. Mark

It was simply a matter of politics. Ted is not as powerful with a Clinton heading the Democratic Party than another person; he backed Kerry, his protégé for the same reason.

With Hillary in office, then Ted is marginalized. With him backing Obama, he has a better chance of maintaining a stronger powerbase.

As for Caroline, she's an idiot who's never done anything other than live off her famous last name, she is irrelevant.

May 29, 2009 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  13. D. D.

He needs to scratch and get over it. Gov. Richardson had a choice as we all did. If Carville could get passed it so could former President
    Clinton.

May 29, 2009 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  14. Trong Phan

Who is a man that did not like a woman. Tell me... liar.

May 29, 2009 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  15. tim sharp

I love Bill Clinton! just an awesome guy.

May 29, 2009 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  16. tim sharp

i hope he doesnt "go away forever" Christine from VA...if he did, that would cost the world hundred of millions of dollars he helps to raise for charity during his post-presidential years...

May 29, 2009 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  17. sb

I don't forgive them either. The Kennedy's have so much power, privilege and prestige that their endorsements drowned out the sentiments of powerless individuals like myself! Neither have I forgiven the Democratic National Committee. And last but not least, I will never forgive those women voters, taught by men, to hate intelligent, thoughtful and successful women like Hilary Clinton. I now call myself an independent female voter.

May 29, 2009 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  18. independent Jim

Hillary should have been elected President.

May 29, 2009 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  19. Samantha

And he will over it. The name Clinton does not mean people should do what they want. Hillary is a wonderful Secretary of State sometimes God corects a situation because people are so head strong and want what they want.

May 29, 2009 07:23 am at 7:23 am |