May 28th, 2009

NYT: Bill Clinton holding grudge against Ted, Caroline Kennedy

In an article in an upcoming issue of New York Times Magazine, former President Clinton discusses his wife's new role as the country's top diplomat.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bill Clinton's campaign-year resentment of President Obama is a thing of the past, according to a lengthy profile of the former president in Sunday's New York Times Magazine - but he hasn't quite come to terms with the Kennedy family's decision to back Obama over Hillary Clinton during the primary season.

Clinton reportedly has yet to make his peace with Sen. Ted Kennedy and the Massachusetts senator's niece, Caroline, over their high-profile endorsements of Barack Obama during the primaries.

The Times, also citing unnamed sources, says Clinton harbors hard feelings toward New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who held several posts in the Clinton administration but who chose to endorse Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

The former president has adjusted to his wife's new role on the international stage. "She used to look forward to me coming home from wherever I've been," Clinton says in the magazine article. "Now I'm afraid I'll be second fiddle to whatever world leader she's just met.

Later, he added: "... We've reversed roles."

Clinton also made clear that his vast network of global contacts and knowledge of world affairs is always available to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "'If she asks, I tell her what I think,'" the former president says in the profile. "And if there's something that's going on that I feel that I have particular knowledge of, I say that.'"

1. Jack in Des Moines

I can understand if Bill still feels slighted by those folks. Let's face it, Richardson was talking out of both sides of his face, which anyone should be insulted by. Caroline ( the socialite in a gilded cage ) proved herself unable to form an intelligible sentence without a script. Teddy has always thought himself better than everyone ( granted he was raised that way ) despite his own failings.

I am stunned by all the "get over yourself comments"....although I know I shouldn't be any more. The anonimitty of the internet allows – if not encourages – people to assert themselves agressively. Which unfortunately for most is like walking into a room anus first.

May 28, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  2. Bananarama Victim II: Electric Boogaloo

Man, I really hope Mr. Clinton has time to read these comments today, that way he'll be able to take advice from qualified professionals. The same people who show up, day in and day out, in order to counteract the belly-aching on the other side with more belly-aching.

We are becoming a nation that acts like Reality TV, which was fake until you all took the initiative to make it as true to form as possible.

Humility people, humility. Look it up. While you're at it, half of you look up "socialism," I don't think you know what it means, honestly. As for the rest of you, you won an election...not bragging rights or immunity. With power comes great responsibility. You all act like five year-olds, and you're clearly proud of it.

May 28, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  3. athomasr

We were better off with Clinton but he set the stage for taking the jobs out of the country. Our country will never be the same because of it.

May 28, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. SENSIBLE MIKE

Later, he added: "… We've reversed roles."

Wait, is she "having relations" with interns now?

May 28, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. rich

Well... Bill is quoted as saying his life has changed ever since he had bypass surgery. I guess as part of that change he came face to face with his mortality. If he still holds a grude as alleged, he would be better off reminding himself of his mortality and how short life is. When he does, grudges will be so yesterday.

May 28, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. ron f.

Who really cares.....this guy is the loser of all losers. Why he has any credibility on any subject, other than how to denegrate high public office, is beyond me. He, his Presidency, his "worldwide contacts", and his ill-gotten millions should be in the country's rear-view mirror forever. Forgive him or don't, but forget him as fast as possible.

May 28, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  7. Alex

Whether Bill Clinton blames then Kennedys or not , their choice was typical politics....go with the likely winner or you'll be left behind. Besides, Bill Richardson showed what the Democrats and politicians do so well...stab the people in the back who helped get you to where you are.

May 28, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  8. kay

Mr. Clinton, I respected you more when you (and Cheney) were silent. Neither of you are helping to unify our Nation.

May 28, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  9. arithmetic is liberal

oh, who cares if he did anyway? Clinton is starting to resemble King Lear more and more each passing day with the way he carries on.

Also, can we please have enough of this "media storm" about the feud between the Clintons and the Kennedys? Talk about your tempest in a teapot.

May 28, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  10. lynn in NM

Who cares if he's upset? He is a has-been.

May 28, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. John -- White Plains, NY

Bill needs to get over it. The Kennedy endorsement while significant, was not the tipping point in the election of Obama. Quite frankly, Bill and his angry commentary did more damage to his wife's candidacy than a Kennedy clan endorsement.

By the way, I voted for Hillary and I like both Clintons...

Move on Bill...maybe 2016 will be better for Hillary...

May 28, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. Thomas

Ego,
    get over it Bill !

We need to work together and make this country a better place for all !

Now it's yor turn to wear the heels and wait for her to come home .

May 28, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. Karen - Missouri

We don't care about this petty news bit...this has nothing to do with us...he has a right to his own feelings. Why not just leave him alone?

May 28, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  14. rgs tnr

He has good reason to be resentful. The Kennedys and Richardson would never get my support again either. For that matter, neither will anybody else in the Democratic Party.

May 28, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. Bob the Observer

Well, you know, uh, I, uh, you know, cannot, uh, imagine life, you know, without, uh, getting Caroline, you know, Kennedy's, uh, endorsement, I mean like, uh, I'd be all like, uh, "hey, what's this."

May 28, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  16. mimi

Senator Kennedy and Caroline should be completly out of media, I never like them, They think like some kind o ? Senator Kennedy should be completly out of the politics he is a very very old sick men he should not occupay any sit on the congress,
    Many people under 50 yeras of age can not have a job becouse they are "Old"!
    Why we keep this old F. Kennedy in the congresss?
    Richarson I never like him.
    Bill Clinton kind of like him.

May 28, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  17. Jeane Cross

I know how Bill Clinton feels...Richardson IS a turncoat, and will always be one! As for the Kennedys, they chose the wrong person. That's all I can say!

May 28, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  18. asian

Why Kennedy family endorsed Mr. Obama instead of Mrs. Clinton? Because Ted Kennedy was not willing to see that Clinton family would have much more influence than his family does. Mr. Kennedy knows he cannot become President Kennedy, neither can his family members. Another reason he endorsed Mr. Obama was because Obama Sr. had come to USA with President Kennedy's help. He know Mr. Obama would reward Kennedy family. Actually, Mr. Obama did reward.

May 28, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. yen

What B Clinton needs is somekind of councilling. For Clinton to think to this day that Hillary is most deserving is worng.He is a very intelligent man, but he still didn't get it that Obama was the right man.
    I cannot thank more all the early supporters of Obama for doing what they did .... support him when he needed it most..
    lMr. Clinton, remember the Cinton fatigue factor? I do not want to say any more negative things about you.

May 28, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  20. Jan

Some people sure are arrogant...as if one person's endorsement is going to make or break your campaign. The Kennedys couldn't save the sinking Clinton ship. Their endorsement really isn't worth a whole lot.

May 28, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Lori

Give it up Mr. Clinton. Although I do respect you and have always defended you (especially against those hypocrital Republicans who criticized you for having affairs while some of them were tapping their feet in airport bathroom stalls AND some were having affairs themselves (NEWT GINGRICH) AND some were moral degenerates (Limbaugh), I've always respected you (except during the primary campaign last year). You gave us surpluses, the Bush idiot gave us deficits and now President Obama has to try and fix the mess the Republicans made. But I digress... Point is... HILLARY LOST. GET OVER IT. SHE'LL BE VP IN 2012 AND PRESIDENT IN 2016. Until then, let the President we chose do his job. He is doing an excellent job.

May 28, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  22. Sniffit

Aaaah, the art of turning aboslutely nothing into a story. Kudos NYT and CNN.

May 28, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  23. Claudia in Houson

This is a big fat lie and don't believe a word of it. Unlike the idiot who reported this who has nothing but idol time on his hands, Bill Clinton is too darn busy and intelligent to waste valuable time, he has a JOB.

May 28, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  24. JohnNYC

What's the matter Bill, no more interns to fill?

May 28, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  25. Billy J in Texas

I am sure he said lots of great things in the interview, that this tabloid style article chose to leave out. Too bad.
    I am glad Obama has turned out to be as well suited for this job as he has, and that Rev Wright and the like didn't end up handing the election to McCain.
    I still think 8 yrs of Hillary and 8 more of a well seasoned Barack would have been preferable, but then again, with all the turd polishing they are having to do to the current state of affairs that we were left with, maybe Barack WAS a better choice. The Repubs would have blamed the economy on the Clintons on day one, instead of waiting a couple of weeks like they have with Barry.

May 28, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |