May 28th, 2009

NYT: Bill Clinton holding grudge against Ted, Caroline Kennedy

In an article in an upcoming issue of New York Times Magazine, former President Clinton discusses his wife's new role as the country's top diplomat.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bill Clinton's campaign-year resentment of President Obama is a thing of the past, according to a lengthy profile of the former president in Sunday's New York Times Magazine - but he hasn't quite come to terms with the Kennedy family's decision to back Obama over Hillary Clinton during the primary season.

Clinton reportedly has yet to make his peace with Sen. Ted Kennedy and the Massachusetts senator's niece, Caroline, over their high-profile endorsements of Barack Obama during the primaries.

The Times, also citing unnamed sources, says Clinton harbors hard feelings toward New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who held several posts in the Clinton administration but who chose to endorse Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

The former president has adjusted to his wife's new role on the international stage. "She used to look forward to me coming home from wherever I've been," Clinton says in the magazine article. "Now I'm afraid I'll be second fiddle to whatever world leader she's just met.

Later, he added: "... We've reversed roles."

Clinton also made clear that his vast network of global contacts and knowledge of world affairs is always available to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "'If she asks, I tell her what I think,'" the former president says in the profile. "And if there's something that's going on that I feel that I have particular knowledge of, I say that.'"

1. Brian, NJ

Hillary ended up winning the Massachusettes primary even with Kennedy backing Obama. If he has anger as to why she lost, he should direct it to the person he sees when he looks in the mirror.

May 28, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. ch

Demacrook May 28th, 2009 3:35 pm ET I never listen to people who have lied under oath.
    -----------------------------–
    Dear Demacrook – Hope that includes Reagan who LIED under oath about trading arms for hostages in the Iran Contra situation.

May 28, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  3. Bubba

I guess it's better to come out and say it, and let them apologize or not, than to just hold a quiet grudge, but even better to say "I USED to have a grudge."
    Bill Clinton is not looking good recently, and his decision-making is really poor. I think he's on medication, and I think we're going to see a state funeral here pretty soon, probably before Obama leaves office. This is one reason I was unable to support Hillary as a candidate; I'm afraid her husband will die soon. I felt the same way about McCain; as followers of these forums already know, I lost fifty bucks on a bet when McCain was still alive on Inauguration Day.

May 28, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. Themeli

Give me a break...You want to talk about turncoats. Every name written in this article including the new president should be tried for Treason. This will be proven in time.

May 28, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  5. Bill NY

How could the Kennedy's back Hillary when Bill was comparing Obama to Jesse Jackson? From what I have heard, when Mr. Clinton was asked to cool it with that kind of talk he told Mr. Kennedy what he could go do to himself. Would you back the wife of a person who just told you to go perform an act on yourself?

May 28, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  6. Susan

he is correct

May 28, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  7. mamone

Bill Richardson will do everything to have some power, therefore President Clinton should try to forget his name( I now betrayal hurts but it is better to forget without forgiving)). Caroline Kennedy is a spoiled woman who doesn't know what happens outside East Side Manhattan, Senator Kennedy is sick, let him die in peace if he can have it after abandoning a woman in a car under the water.

May 28, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  8. CC

Sorry Slick Willy, you must have thought you were talking to someone who cared!

May 28, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  9. Obama Victim

sure wish Hillary was President

May 28, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. Typical Republican

Oh man...I'm a republican, but I can't think of anything to slam Obama about in regards to this story...it's pissing me off! I have to go think of something, I better tune into Rush and find out what I can say!

This SUCKS...Need something about Hate to say, can't think (don't laugh, its a side effect of being republican, fyi)

May 28, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. Don

No one knows how Bill or Hillary feel other than Bill and Hillary. For any of us to speculate on this is stupid..so I will be stupid and say that Bill has every right to be angry at Ted and Caroline after all he did for the party and that family while he was President. Loyality should mean something...but that is how I feel. Hillary would have been an excellant President( and she will be one day), but she is doing a great Job as SOS. This is all good.

May 28, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  12. Vern

Well, Clinton just need to get over himself and get over the past and move on. Sorry, we all can't be winners!!!

May 28, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  13. Melissa

Meh. Oh boy, he's human, isn't it horrible? No, it isn't. She's his wife. And as much as I think her behavior during the primary's was despicable, it doesn't matter. A good husband will support his wife even including holding grudges against people that she feels did her wrong. Thats the way life works.

May 28, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  14. bill

Who cares if the rapist is mad? Plus keep in mind the Kennedy family is a criminal organization! Do your homework.

May 28, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  15. phoenix86

The Kennedy curse IS Ted Kennedy. No brains, no ethics, no character.

Proof is that he and his nimwit niece backed endorsed the Idiot in Chief. I guess they were at least smart enough to realize the foolishness of the democratic voter.

May 28, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  16. rachel

I am a proud black woman and I love me some Bill Clinton. Don't worry bubba its already been prove that they will need you before you need them. Bet Richardson wishes he could have your help with his little problem down in New Mexico, and caroline probably wishes she had had your help when she wanted Hillary's senate seat, but oh well. As far as you beign worried about Hillary making you second fiddle to whatever world leader.... you just might have something to worry about there. You did giver several mess around free cards. I still love ya Bill... if that means anything lol. I think you need to ask Hillary how she got over her disappointment

May 28, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  17. Let bygones....

President Clinton, do not hold malice. The right person was selected for the job at the right time. Those that supported Obama and not Hillary early on demonstrated courage and wisdom. They are to be commended.

May 28, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  18. Tim, Seattle

By all means, lets re-live all that primary crapo again, CNN....sheesh
    C'mon PUMA's, get on here and start up your whining again....

Hillary Lost, Barack won. It turns out Richardson's endorsement didnt matter nor Kennedy's. Obama's margin of his primary victory speaks for ityelf.
    I love Hillary...but more of us thought Obama the better candidate. Its just that simple. I would have voted for either of them.
    And if you think that Richardson and Kennedy are really turncoats, then well...you value loyalty over a persons assessment of who the best candidate was. Hardly 'democratic' . More like hypocratic.

Grudges are sour grapes and a sore loser's agenda. Its petty. And being on Bills enemy list doesnt really account for anything. I doubt he really has one.....slow news day

May 28, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  19. Michael

Bill, Bill... I liked you as president, but get over it already.

May 28, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  20. Fitz in Texas

"The former president has adjusted to his wife's new role on the international stage. "
    _________________________________________________________
    Oh, I bet the former president hasn't adjusted to his wife's role. Bill Clinton wanted Hillary to be The President of the United States. Plain and simple. Something tells me Bill Clinton will do everything in his power to make sure his wife becomes President in 2012, and the same goes for Hillary.
    Where are the "sore loser" comments from the liberals on this one.

May 28, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  21. bj, Texas

Love it when the Dumb-ocrats turn their viciousness onto themselves. It's like watching a cat fight!

May 28, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  22. Stu Smith

mamone- That much hatred and ugliness is a heavy burden to carry around with you. Let it go.

May 28, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  23. Randolph Carter

mimi wrote: Senator Kennedy and Caroline should be completly out of media, I never like them, They think like some kind o ? Senator Kennedy should be completly out of the politics he is a very very old sick men he should not occupay any sit on the congress,
    Many people under 50 yeras of age can not have a job becouse they are "Old"!
    Why we keep this old F. Kennedy in the congresss?
    Richarson I never like him.
    Bill Clinton kind of like him.

Mimi, besides having atrocious grammar and spelling, you really are ignorant. Teddy has had more to do with progress on social issues in this country than just about anyone I can think of. People slag him because he wasn't out to make the rich richer like some politicians I could name. Have a nice day!

May 28, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. Bit

Just get over it, Bill.

May 28, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  25. rachel

As far as people talking about Bill and Hillary's behavior during the primary what double standards. Bill said something brack mentioned as being a fairy tale not his canidacy, and Barack got a pass when he called his granny a TYPICAL WHITE person. If Bill or hillary had called someone a typical black person they would have been burned at the stake.

May 28, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |