May 28th, 2009

NYT: Bill Clinton holding grudge against Ted, Caroline Kennedy

In an article in an upcoming issue of New York Times Magazine, former President Clinton discusses his wife's new role as the country's top diplomat.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bill Clinton's campaign-year resentment of President Obama is a thing of the past, according to a lengthy profile of the former president in Sunday's New York Times Magazine - but he hasn't quite come to terms with the Kennedy family's decision to back Obama over Hillary Clinton during the primary season.

Clinton reportedly has yet to make his peace with Sen. Ted Kennedy and the Massachusetts senator's niece, Caroline, over their high-profile endorsements of Barack Obama during the primaries.

The Times, also citing unnamed sources, says Clinton harbors hard feelings toward New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who held several posts in the Clinton administration but who chose to endorse Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

The former president has adjusted to his wife's new role on the international stage. "She used to look forward to me coming home from wherever I've been," Clinton says in the magazine article. "Now I'm afraid I'll be second fiddle to whatever world leader she's just met.

Later, he added: "... We've reversed roles."

Clinton also made clear that his vast network of global contacts and knowledge of world affairs is always available to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "'If she asks, I tell her what I think,'" the former president says in the profile. "And if there's something that's going on that I feel that I have particular knowledge of, I say that.'"

1. leon

Really Barack Obama took opportunity of voters were hungry for a change. He was an obscure senator with not real merits who put his political career first and values second. WIth the help of pwerful groups within the Democratic Party, the Media and celebrities he was pushed into power. I give him the credit for a very well disciplined campaign it was great. I think he was nad is an opportunist and he won

Why didn't he create a grass root movement to opposed the war after his now famous speech?

May 28, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  2. Post always rejected by CNN

Have to add tho I was so darn glad that the governor of New York did not appoint Caroline Kennedy to be a senator. She stinks.

May 28, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  3. norb

What is is with these people. Bill and Hillary Clinton. What are they worth? Something like 75 million. Newt Gingrich married three times. Rush Limbaugh Oxycontin addict. Clinton " I did not have sex with that woman". "I never inhaled". Clue, everybody is tired with the old same old same old. Get over it! Change has come!

May 28, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. david

understand bill completely. hillary was politically betrayed by the kennedy duo and richardson. colin powell also betrayed republicans with his open endorsement of obama. 2008 election was the year of betrayals all the way around.

May 28, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. deb0155

I agree with many of the people here. Bill – Let it go. Who really cares what the Kennedys think? As far as I'm concerned, Ted hasn't really done too much. As far as his brain tumor – I am sure the Mary Jo Kopechne family really isn't that upset about it. (Talk about someone who should be in jail?!) Caroline has stayed out of the public for a long time – she should stay there. She is really the only Kennedy who has any dignity left.

So Bill – all-in-all – do you really care what the Kennedys think? I am sorry Hillary lost – she should have won. She had more popular votes – but that's politics.

And I do agree with the person who said that it was the NY Times starting up trouble. They are good for that!

May 28, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  6. tiff of Lithia Springs

Sorry Bill but the country needed and needs new direction. We still love you and Hillary. And thing happen for a reason. You will always be the first President I voted for. Graduated from college under. Bought my first house under and my husband and I had children under.

May 28, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  7. HikingStick

This reported snub, regardless of party affiliation, is just a clear picture of the type of favor-exchange that seems to be expected (and accepted) in American politics (I'm sure it happens elsewhere, but I'm only familiar with it here). If you give people positions in your administration with the hope you can cash in those "favors" some day, then you've given those positions for the wrong reasons. In my opinion, that's just as bad as openly selling a position. In some ways, it's worse, because these "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" deals are typically out of the public eye.

May 28, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  8. JLS

Only that liberal "rag" the NYT would give Billy Boy more publicity. Just give it a rest, Bill, and please go away. Nobdy really cares what you think of Ted Kennedy, or anyone else foe that matter.

May 28, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  9. Idiot_Pelosi

Lying Bill Clinton. Who cares what Bill Clinton thinks or wants? Bill Clinton needs to find his next Monica and move on to greener pastures.

"Depends on what your definition of 'is' is"..............

Gotta love it

May 28, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  10. Max

Dear Seebofubar: What makes you think that President Obama is a disgrace to our nation? Many (I believe the majority according to the latest approval rating polls) would disagree with you, myself included. Many former Presidents were a disgrace to our nation, and President Obama inherited a very serious mess of a country left by some of those former disgraceful Presidents. I believe he has done a very good job in his efforts to turn this country around and I support him. Are you involved in any way in trying to help this country turn around?

May 28, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  11. Robin

Teddy should have been locked up years ago. Another man would have been if he left a young woman to drown after an accident that was not reported until the next morning.

Kennedy's, gotta love 'em. Murder, rape, adultery, drugs.

What a fun bunch.

May 28, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  12. SEL

Why are people attacking Bill Clinton and why can't they mind their own business?
    Has he ever publically expresed any anger towards any of these people? Not once. He went to a meeting with the President and Ted Kennedy recently without incident and said nice things about Bill Richardson on the TV. He has not once expressed any negative thoughts about them.
    He is a person. He is allowed to feel whatever he wants about his friends/ ex-friends and he shouldn't be criticized because anoymous people keep telling the press to print stopries about his supposed private thoughts, if in fact they are even true.

May 28, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  13. Anjum

I agree. He's acting like a child, holding grudges because people he 'knows' don't properly repay their favors. I'm glad people stood up for what they actually thought, instead of the typical, "Oh I guess I shouldn't upset my friend Bill."
    Also, I am definitely very happy Caroline Kennedy didn't get the NY Senate seat. I'm not the biggest Gillebrand fan (don't not like either, for a double negative), but much better than a name-only apointee.

May 28, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  14. Joe Unger, San Francisco

A whole lot of nuthin'.
    I'm sure Bill Clinton is not angry but if CNN says he was simply peeved, the dramatic effect is gone.
    What this story does do is elicit the reaction of Bill Clinton haters and gets them to interact on this website.
    Clinton haters are easy targets of stories like this. They hear the name Bill Clinton and some slop about how he is "still angry" and they see red and spew their hateful venom. However, the Clinton haters apparently are too dense to realize they are being used by the media to generate interest on their website.
    Would it be possible to set up a website, called, say, IloveBillClinton.com and be able to rake in money for every hater who visits the site, even if they are only there to vent hatred? The haters seem to be easy suckers are getting their attention.

May 28, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  15. Alfred E. Neumann

There are a lot of reasons to dislike Ted Kennedy – the death of Mary Jo Kopechne first comes to mind.

And then there is Caroline Kennedy who thought that she could grab the senate seat of Hillary Clinton based on her family name – hutzpa indeed!

And then there is the NYT – only a matter of time before they file for Chapter Eleven.

May 28, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  16. BH

President Clinton is the best. With friends like Ted Kennedy, who needs an enemy.

May 28, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  17. big papa

President Obama is doing a masterful job of flummoxing the haters...

...Hillary is doing a yeoman's job at the State Dept...

...and Bill is where he should be...

...a special Ambassador to whatever...

...No worries...

...all you haters...

...KOA...

May 28, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  18. John Tiller in Dallas Texas

I LOVE Bill! What ever happend to loyalty? Keep on trucking Clintons!

May 28, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  19. The Other Michael in Houston

Bill, you are such an egomaniac. Shut up and find something to do you sore loser!

May 28, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  20. Proud-Dem

I wish Bill could have Run again. I would Have Voted for Him a Third Time....... I think He has reason to be a bit up set. Those People Would Have No Political Careers if Not for Bill Clinton.

For all You Sore Losers repubs,,,,, Get Over It You Lost.... I did Vote for Pres. Obama... McCane would have made the US a bigger Joke that George W did.... W was the Worst Non elected President in this country's History. He Made Us All Look Stupid and Cause all the Mess were in now By allowing His Buddies Free rain with Oil and Chaney's Companys raping the American Public Rebuilding Iraq.... Yes George W Iran and Iraq are Different Countries.....

May 28, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  21. ced

OK, CNN, your "reporting" IS gossip. (i.e. "The Times, also citing unnamed sources, says Clinton harbors hard feelings toward New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson . . ."). There is no direct quote from Bill Clinton. Please stick with real news reporting. I swear this only to keep Democrats and Republicans fighting with each other.

May 28, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  22. Really?

I'm still angry that he lied to the American people!

May 28, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  23. Annagain

To the person who said PUMA was Limbaugh's harem - you have no idea how wrong you are. We knew from the beginning that Obama would be Bush3 - and so he is - "Preventive detention", more signing statements, bailing out wall st. before main st., horrid auto bailouts that don't work.

Gimme a break. Obama does not head the Democratic party I knew. You bet PUMAs did not want to vote for him - and they were and are Democrats and Indies. Don't buy the tripe that PUMA was a Republican movement - that was another Axelrod and media smear.

By the way, this piece is just rabble rousing for nothing. The entire NYTimes piece is not all that kind to Bill ,all in all, but if he is mad at the Kennedys, he is right to be. This is all about Ted Kennedy's ego and was afraid the Clinton name would surpass the Kennedy's so he backed Obama. Period.

May 28, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  24. Bev - NYC

The Kennedy's and Richardson were free to endorse anyone they wnated, endorsements alone do not win campaigns. Even with the kennedy endorsement Obama lost New Hampshire. If you want to hold a grudge Bill I would look closer closer to home, some of your less than gracious comment in SC didn't help, blame Mark Penn and Terry McAuliffe, and the inability to use the power of the internet to raise funds. Grow up Bill, your wife seems genuinely happy as Secretary of State.

May 28, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  25. Leo

Tough nuggies Bill! Politics is not a dork sport. Stop acting like a dufus. You are going to be about as relivant as the Pope, Ariel Sharon or Dick (the waterboarder, shoot'em iin the face) Chaney. For cry'en out loud stop the crying and get on with it. Breathe deap dude; take a pill and chill.

May 28, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |