May 28th, 2009

NYT: Bill Clinton holding grudge against Ted, Caroline Kennedy

In an article in an upcoming issue of New York Times Magazine, former President Clinton discusses his wife's new role as the country's top diplomat.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bill Clinton's campaign-year resentment of President Obama is a thing of the past, according to a lengthy profile of the former president in Sunday's New York Times Magazine - but he hasn't quite come to terms with the Kennedy family's decision to back Obama over Hillary Clinton during the primary season.

Clinton reportedly has yet to make his peace with Sen. Ted Kennedy and the Massachusetts senator's niece, Caroline, over their high-profile endorsements of Barack Obama during the primaries.

The Times, also citing unnamed sources, says Clinton harbors hard feelings toward New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who held several posts in the Clinton administration but who chose to endorse Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

The former president has adjusted to his wife's new role on the international stage. "She used to look forward to me coming home from wherever I've been," Clinton says in the magazine article. "Now I'm afraid I'll be second fiddle to whatever world leader she's just met.

Later, he added: "... We've reversed roles."

Clinton also made clear that his vast network of global contacts and knowledge of world affairs is always available to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "'If she asks, I tell her what I think,'" the former president says in the profile. "And if there's something that's going on that I feel that I have particular knowledge of, I say that.'"

1. Thomas Lee

Former president Bill Clinton wouldnt do or say anything if it didnt have a real purpose in the future in regards to political gain, but the way he still reportedly has not made peace with the Kennedys to me raises this question. Did the Clintons really think that this endorcement would really pull them over the top in the final stretch? Or was this just what they felt as a final blow in what they saw as a last chance effort to turn the tables around in what they saw as a race they would loose if everything didnt go according to their exact calculations? And that includes the endorcement from the Kennedys. I think this is worth looking into alittle more.

May 28, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. DavidinCA

I don't worry so much about Bill Clinton having influence with affairs of State. I worry about Hillary. Even as a second choice, I can't imagine what President Obama was thinking. Maybe she had incriminating photographs of him that her campaign staff dug up or something...

May 28, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. Ryan

Typical Republican May 28th, 2009 4:35 pm ET

Oh man…I'm a republican, but I can't think of anything to slam Obama about in regards to this story…it's pissing me off! I have to go think of something, I better tune into Rush and find out what I can say!

This SUCKS…Need something about Hate to say, can't think (don't laugh, its a side effect of being republican, fyi)

I don't know why you're trying to use sarcastic humor... none of the sleaziness or corruption (see Illinois) of the Democratic party is reason to laugh...

May 28, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. Bill Denton, TX

Who cares? I'm still mad at Ross Perot for throwing the election to Clinton in 1992 – without which we wouldn't even be having this report.

May 28, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. Whyne

I love Bill Clinton, I think he'll always be one of the greatest and most compassionate Presidents in US history. He's human and if he still holds some resentment towards Kennedy or Richardson, that's quite understandable! There are die hard Democrats and even some republicans who were disappointed let alone Mr. Cllinton.

Leave Bill alone and find something more important to make the news. Not all of us over come at the same time or at the time you want.

Love you Bill and Hillory!

May 28, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. Karyn

You picked out about three or four sentence from this extensive and very well written piece from the New York Times magazine and turned it into tabloid trash. You failed to touch on any of the things that the former President is doing with his foundation or his Global Initiative. I guess that would require that you actually READ the whole article.

Congratulations. Great investigative reporting. Go back to journalism school or acutally maybe you should actually ATTEND journalism school.

I sincerely doubt this comment will actually make it past the moderator.

May 28, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  7. Greenville Granny

I'm with Bill on this one. I thought the very same things. Hillary was
    MORE than qualified for the job of Prez. Obviously there was an ulterior motive here....

May 28, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. Russ

We can all be thankful for two things. The Clinton years are over. The Bush years are over. Amen. Let's move on.

May 28, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  9. Berdell Hardy

I'm sure he 'harbors' ill-feelings towards many personss who benefited directedly from his Administration and 'post- administration activities. But, that's the nature of modern politics...."what have you done for me lately" (or, what can you do for me in the future?).

May 28, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  10. bess

boo hoo. doesn't like being second fiddle.

sounds like something from R's not Dem's.

May 28, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. Teleprompter of the U.S.A.

He should still hate Obama for putting the coup de grace on our economy. Quadrupling the deficit and tripling the national debt in his administration if we're unlucky to have him for 8 years.

China will surpass us while Obama is in office, mostly because they're financing all the idiotic projects he is getting his minions to pass.

May 28, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  12. Ron

There is a lot of corruption swirling around the Clintons.The Clintons need to change their ways.

May 28, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  13. Lucy

I will do anything Caroline Kennedy says to do. She is my idol. I have an altar to her in my house. I was going to vote for Hillary but because she endorsed Obama, I voted for him instead. I am sure there are hundreds of thousands of others like me. In fact, I am surprised Hillary is not a fan of Caroline. Isn't everyone?

May 28, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  14. Liberal

Hey Really? ....are you also angry about all the Bush lies to support HIS war.

Bill has earned the right to be angry about the lack of Kennedy and Richardson support for his wife. If he didn't CARE he wouldn't still be workiing out his anger. I'm sure Teddy Kennedy and Bill Richardsonh understand. They are entitled to their choices, and he is entitled to be angry about it. Wow...the man is human!

May 28, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  15. Bob of Lompoc

This is important why ? Having a tough time getting at President Obama, so drop back and punt. Bill Clinton is always worth some "print". Find out anything new you would like to tell us about Fats Lewinsky or Whitewater ? Starr back in the news ? What, he discovered that Bill Clinton likes women ! What do they call that in the "news" business: "This just in", or, "Breaking News". You people have no honor.

May 28, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  16. Keith

Three armed conflicts and numerous other "missions" that involved danger in my 22 years of military service and the single worst thing I went through was 8 years of Bill Clinton and his wife The President. Now here we go again, someone has taken her leash and muzzle off. Just remember, you Socialist Dems voted for all this. Be careful what you wish for!

May 28, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  17. Vermonter

Bill, it's over! Holding a grudge forever solves nothing and belittles your own accomplishments. It's called politics. Remember?

May 28, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  18. Sally

I certainly don't blame Bill Clinton for his feelings. I, too, was very disappointed in these same people.

May 28, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  19. RRR

"Citing Unnamed Sources" should be the key to this article.....that removes all credublity from the article..... I can sure think of a lot of acrimony that people in the GOP may harbor 'citing unnamed sources'.......will CNN print that also?

May 28, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. Steve

It amazes me that even after 9 years, this guy just can't keep his mug out of in front of a camera. Come on man, I like Bill, but geez he had his time, go sit down and shut up.

May 28, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  21. Teleprompter of the U.S.A.

"Hey Really? ….are you also angry about all the Bush lies to support HIS war."

Did you call it lies when Clinton and every single Democrat said the same things in 1999? I'm a little dubious of your veracity.

May 28, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  22. Ben

I wonder if Hillary is still looking for those right wing conspirators who framed her husband (Bill and Monica, and he denied " it ").

May 28, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  23. mauri

He's well within his rights to harbor some anger even if it's understood that politics make strange bedfellows. And here's a perfect example of that word "empathy" that's been batted around lately. There are some of us who always held a personal bond with the Kennedys going all the way back to President Kennedy. The same with Governor Richardson as he enjoyed his upward movement in the various Clinton cabinet positions. Now, both these families are on lists of "used-to-be's," which can't be that comfortable. In both instances, it probably would have been appropriate for them to call President Clinton and the candidate Hillary Clinton to at least give them an explanation of their actions. Now, however, it becomes obvious who were the losers and it isn't the Clintons this time.

May 28, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  24. Pegwin

Perhaps President Clinton would feel a little more forgiving if the stopped to think about how blessed our country is now to have Hillary in the position she is in. She is serving our country with grace and dignity, and I think in the long run history will judge her as being a true patriot who put aside her own personal feelings for the good of the U.S.A. God Bless Hillary and Bill.

May 28, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  25. Anita

I cannot blame him; I am bothered by people with the Judas complex myself. He is still the greatest president this country ever had. I only wish his wife could have followed in his footsteps. As a person of color, I still wasn't swayed by the whole "first black president" media madness. I just wanted the BEST person for the job; Hillary was that person.

May 28, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |