May 28th, 2009

NYT: Bill Clinton holding grudge against Ted, Caroline Kennedy

In an article in an upcoming issue of New York Times Magazine, former President Clinton discusses his wife's new role as the country's top diplomat.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bill Clinton's campaign-year resentment of President Obama is a thing of the past, according to a lengthy profile of the former president in Sunday's New York Times Magazine - but he hasn't quite come to terms with the Kennedy family's decision to back Obama over Hillary Clinton during the primary season.

Clinton reportedly has yet to make his peace with Sen. Ted Kennedy and the Massachusetts senator's niece, Caroline, over their high-profile endorsements of Barack Obama during the primaries.

The Times, also citing unnamed sources, says Clinton harbors hard feelings toward New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who held several posts in the Clinton administration but who chose to endorse Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

The former president has adjusted to his wife's new role on the international stage. "She used to look forward to me coming home from wherever I've been," Clinton says in the magazine article. "Now I'm afraid I'll be second fiddle to whatever world leader she's just met.

Later, he added: "... We've reversed roles."

Clinton also made clear that his vast network of global contacts and knowledge of world affairs is always available to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "'If she asks, I tell her what I think,'" the former president says in the profile. "And if there's something that's going on that I feel that I have particular knowledge of, I say that.'"

1. No Incumbents 2010

The sources quoted by the NYT hold a grudge about Bill Clinton. Amazing how everyone believes the gossip they read from unnamed "sources". America had it pretty good in the Clinton years.

May 28, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  2. R

I read the whole thing and i don't see where it is quoted that Bill is still upset.

May 28, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  3. sandee in Portland

Loyalty, smoyalty! We didn't need another dynasty in power. The Bush's were bad enough. It's too bad the average american votes on name recognition and not substance. Thank goodness for President Obama. At least we have some new blood in the White House. Now if we could only get term limits for all congressmen and senators, we might have a win, win situation instead of re-electing politicians who have been in office far too long and have forgotten they are in office to serve the people and not themselves.

May 28, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  4. patty

Can this man ever shut his mouth? This is why Hilary was never nominated....he just can't shut up. If he had left his wife alone, she'd be president. He should never say that he will voice his opionions, the nation will wonder if it's Bill or Hillary that is Sect of State...

May 28, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. Anonymous

The Kennedys and Richardson did stab Bill Clinton in the back. He was very good to all of them and they turned their backs on him. He has every right to feel hurt and betrayed. I do not think he is angry. He's just adjusting to reality and responding as such.

May 28, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  6. William

What is the point of this report? Who cares? Certainly not the Kennedys. Hillary Clinton is Secretary of State. Not bad for a loser. Most failed presidential candidates just have to sit it out for four to eight years.

I doubt that there's any real animosity between Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy. What's more likely is that the corporate-controlled media will do anything to present a Democrat – any Democrat – in a bad light.

May 28, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. AJ

He has reason to be angry. Richardson would be making tacos at some roadside stand if it weren't for the Clintons and as for the Kennedys, well the best of them died in the 60s.

May 28, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  8. marty

Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy. Two arrogant, lying womanizers. Ted didn´t endorse Hillary, but endorsed Caroline for Hillary´s seat in the senate. Ted didn´t even give Bill Clinton a dog.

May 28, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. JFK

Who can blame the guy! While I respect Barack immensely, the Kennedy endorsements were a slap in the face to the Clintons. It would have been better the Kennedys not endorse either candidate with the both Obama and Clinton running. While I made my peace with last years primary, I dont blame Clinton for feeling the way he does. I feel the Clintons are far from done with politics and know Mrs Clinton will make a fine President after Barack finishes in office.

May 28, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  10. Leslie

C'mon Bill, what do you expect from the son and granddaughter of a BOOTLEGGER.

May 28, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  11. MJHS1967

R: That's because this in nothing other than "media hype". :)

May 28, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  12. Christine from VA

I did not have sexual relationship with that women! Oh my gosh, what is on that blue dress? What Bill is really mad about is not getting back in the White House to work on those female interns.

Bill, just go away... forever!!!

May 28, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  13. honestly

And that, folks, is why those of us loyal in the past to Clinton decided it would be better to retire him.

We voted instead for Barack Obama. It had NOTHING to do with the Kennedys.

Bubba STILL has some growing up to do.

May 28, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  14. Supreme court

we picked Bush for big money.

May 28, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. Karen, Dallas, texas

I am not sure if this is really true, especially since Ted Kennedy is so ill. President Clinton may have had his feelings hurt, but I can't imagine that he is still upset about it & even if he was, he would not want an article written about it. The focus at this point should be the Senators heath, not old news. Karen in Dallas

May 28, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  16. Kathy S. Cloughn

Good for the Clintons!!!

May 28, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  17. Had It

One of the most blatant e-tabloid (gossip column) lies CNN has put in print so far.

Hate mongering doesn't get my viewership.

I hate CNN and FOX

May 28, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  18. Jim in Florida

The writer of the article says Clinton isn't mad at Obama but don't bet on it. Obama all but accused Clinton of being a racist in South Carolina during the primaries and that will take Clinton a long time to get over.

May 28, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  19. kmiller

It wasnt the Kennedy opinion that lost hillary the vote,,, but the many excuses and treason of billy boy

May 28, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  20. Lynn

What can he say? They went with the person they felt would be best for the job and the one they thought would win. They were right.

May 28, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. Cato

Even former best friends Thomas Jefferson and John Adams had many bitter years. This is nothing new in American politics.

May 28, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  22. Debra from Georgia

I think Bill Clinton needs to get over. Barack Obama won the election, Hillary is Secretary of State in which she is doing a fine job. At the end of the day someone had to win. So, Bill get over your resentment please .

May 28, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  23. RGet

I don't blame President Clinton for being upset–without him and his centrist views that saved the Democratic Party there might not have been a Democratic Party for Obama to take over–and very likely there would be no President Obama today. But I guess it just argues that such liberals have questionable loyalty once they get a little power.

May 28, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  24. mario

Please tell to this womanizer to stop his outburst and better spend his time looking for Monika werever she is found. He is a disgraced monaliza who should shut hi mouth. He made this country disgraceful and a place for hralot

May 28, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  25. Pandering Democrats

The Democratic party threw Hillary under the bus for Obama. Hillary then decides to work in Obamas cabinet?? I don't know which one is the bigger sucker. Obamas constant pandering or Hillarys desperation. She should have said NO and run again in 2012. Those crazy Democrats have no minds of their own.

May 28, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |