May 28th, 2009

NYT: Bill Clinton holding grudge against Ted, Caroline Kennedy

In an article in an upcoming issue of New York Times Magazine, former President Clinton discusses his wife's new role as the country's top diplomat.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bill Clinton's campaign-year resentment of President Obama is a thing of the past, according to a lengthy profile of the former president in Sunday's New York Times Magazine - but he hasn't quite come to terms with the Kennedy family's decision to back Obama over Hillary Clinton during the primary season.

Clinton reportedly has yet to make his peace with Sen. Ted Kennedy and the Massachusetts senator's niece, Caroline, over their high-profile endorsements of Barack Obama during the primaries.

The Times, also citing unnamed sources, says Clinton harbors hard feelings toward New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who held several posts in the Clinton administration but who chose to endorse Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

The former president has adjusted to his wife's new role on the international stage. "She used to look forward to me coming home from wherever I've been," Clinton says in the magazine article. "Now I'm afraid I'll be second fiddle to whatever world leader she's just met.

Later, he added: "... We've reversed roles."

Clinton also made clear that his vast network of global contacts and knowledge of world affairs is always available to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "'If she asks, I tell her what I think,'" the former president says in the profile. "And if there's something that's going on that I feel that I have particular knowledge of, I say that.'"

1. Bonnie

Every traitor toward Hillary has met up with karma. No need to count 'em – but the evidence is overwhelming. Bill Clinton extended opportunities to many who have summarily stabbed he and Hillary in the proverbial back. My personal HUGE disappointment (and permanent burst bubble) had to be Caroline Kennedy. By linking her father (who she knew sadly for only six years) to Obama, rather than honor her mother's (who all credit with her fine upbringing) parallel to Hillary, another First Lady, was reprehensible – and unforgivable. But once again, even the Princess of Camelot's carriage turned into a pumpkin. At the end of the day, history will show (probably in foreign texts) the Clintons as the supreme humanitarians of the people, plain and simple. Far fewer in number than the Kennedys, the trio of Bill, Hillary and Chelsea will prove to be much more effective overall.

May 28, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  2. Lonestar Wolf

I tell you why it is useful. Bill knows what kind of murderous gangsters the Kennedy's are. They need to be out of the political area so bad. Your wrong about him holding agendas over Hillary not winning the presidency. As the the next trhree years will attest to that.

May 28, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  3. DC, Manteca CA

I hope I speak for all sane Americans when I say...who cares?

Of all the problems facing our nation these days, this is the best CNN can report? Gimme a break.

May 28, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  4. Sally

And just for the record, Bill may be a philanderer (a ladies man for those ignorant of the word), but he and Hillary truly love each other – she is his rock & he is hers. If 80% of men (or women) in the US could swear they were squeaky clean, then I am the Queen of the Fairies, and Tinkerbell could take second place. America has the most serial killers, the most pedophiles, the most drug/gang related crimes, the most gun crimes, the worst (non-existent) healthcare system in the "free" world, and the most people per capita in prison in the world. Proud to be American eh? Land of the free and home of the brave. You have to be brave to live in the US and it's sure not free. Would any country like to accept an American as an immigrant – NOT. No-one likes us ANYWHERE in the world. We are a hated nation.

May 28, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  5. Bob

Awwwww. President dirt bag is upset with the Kennedys Awwwww.

May 28, 2009 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  6. RC

Bill, get over it. Don't become another Cheney or Palin who keep kvetching. You are better than this as some others have said here.

May 28, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  7. a real truther

That was not Clinton that stained the blue dress we all know Bush was behind that.

May 28, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  8. Joan

Sounds like this is only speculation about Bill Clinton's feelings by the press. The very nature of politics is often cut throat and he knows this, even though sometimes it hurts more than others. I love them both and assume that Ted Kennedy thought long and hard about his decision to support Obama. I was a die hard Hillary fan, but I am very impressed with Barack Obama! Now, I have 3 democratic families I love!

May 28, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  9. kaydeedee

Get over it, Bill. Stop being such a baby.

May 28, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  10. Ruty

Hey Bill the tables have turned! How do you like it? Not very much, I see.

May 28, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  11. Aaron

Bill, I respect you and your ideas however I think its time you get over the fact that your wife did not win. How do you honestly support our current President and continue to hold grudges? That's a lil contradictory don't you think?? We need to do all we can to fully support our President in order to correct the mounds of crap he inherited from the Former President and his corrupt staff!!

May 28, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  12. Necie

Who Cares?

May 28, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  13. mike

so what, the country is facing too many problems, tell him to suck it up!

May 28, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  14. Jacque Bauer

Oh, boo hoo, poor Bill! How we ever elected this hillbilly with trailer park behavior, I'll never know. Now just GO AWAY and stop embarrassing the U.S. any further!

May 28, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  15. Ken in Western NY

Bill Clinton is a sore loser. Bill Clinton is a liar. Bill Clinton is an adulterer. Bill Clinton is a politician. Need I really say more? And guess what? Hillary is a politician too. And so are the Kennedy's and Gov. Richardson.....they're all crooked. Throw 'em all out and start fresh...that's what I'd like to see !!!

May 28, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  16. canada

Bill, we still luv you up here - but please don't bring that BUSHY person with you when you are visiting. How can you hang out with someone so vindictive and dishonest. He virtually shut the border down because PM Chritien refused to support his illegal invasion of Iran. The height of his dishonesty is that right now he is letting Cheney take the heat for all his (Bushy) illegal policies and not a word admitting it was his decisions. Bill the man dos'nt have an honest bone in his body. What is amazing is that he allowed americans to think that Canada is loaded with terrorists yet he is coming to Canada for a second time in as many months. Obviously he feels safe up here. ....

May 28, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  17. jim ohare

The Clintons really need to go away.far away.they are both corrupt

May 28, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  18. jim

Bill, don't let her accept any cigars!!

May 28, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  19. voter

I don't know whether I should believe this article. If it is true, then Bill needs to get over it. Ted is battling cancer. Bill needs to make amends with him.

May 28, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  20. lois

Love Bill. Nice to see someone that is human (even with the personal mistakes) and doesn't depend on a teleprompter. Can understand why he would be angry with Ted, Caroline and Bill Richardson. I think they all thought they would get more from Obama than Hillary. Reason being why they backed him. Look at them all now.

May 28, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  21. WH

This is non-news. Just another attempt of the media to stir up something. Why don't you report something we care about?

May 28, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  22. Kim, Dallas, TX

Bill, instead of holding resentments, you should be so proud of what Hillary is doing now. She is a great secretary of state. I really feel like you made a wonderful president, but you do need to let go of the hard feelings that you had during the primaries.

May 28, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  23. ann

Bill, you got this one right. Obama reworded Kennedy's speeches and the mutts gleefully said "he sounds like Dad"

May 28, 2009 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  24. Surendra P. Singh

Bill,

Please get over it. Ted Kennedy and Caroline Kennedy did the right thing, and gave us a new leader for a change. Ted and Caroline Kennedy had the right vision for the right time.

May 28, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  25. GuyInVA

What?!? You were stabbed in the back? By a KENNEDY?!? Say it ain't so, Bill.

May 28, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |