May 29th, 2009

Dean to release book on health care reform

Howard Dean's new book will be available in paperback, as an e-book, and through an iPhone application.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former DNC chairman Howard Dean is coming out with a new book that makes the case for Democrats' ambitious plans to reform the country's health care system.

"America has had 'socialized' medicine since 1964,'" Dean writes in the book, according to a release issued Friday. "'It's called Medicare; it covers every American over 65, and they are very happy with the program. The rest of America deserves a similar option.'"

The 2004 presidential candidate's book will be electronically published first, released as an e-book on June 5 and then as a paperback on July 1. The book will also be made available through an Apple iPhone application.

Dean, the former governor of Vermont, was a practicing physician before entering politics.

Filed under: Health care • Howard Dean
  1. southerncousin

Will it be in loud audio?

May 29, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  2. Matt

Finally someone points that out! Although Medicare needs just as much reform.

May 29, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Robin

A 65 plus year old for the most part are Americans who are recently retired who worked for 40-45 years of their lives. They deserve health care.

Kids with lazy parents deserve health care too, as it is not their fault their parents are too lazy to take responsibility for them. Lets give those kids a good education to boot, so they grow up to be contributing members of society and not like their parents.

What I don't agree with is paying for an able body person who does not want to do their share.

I also don't want the government telling me when I can and can't go to the doctor. I'm very happy with my employer based health care plan and I know that millions of other Americans feel the same way.

May 29, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I for one agree with Mr. Dean that the rest of the country needs an option similar to Medicare. Since healthcare reform also seems to be an issue of equality, just like same sex marriage, which I oppose, if same sex couples are allowed to get married, then why can't every American have health coverage?

May 29, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. Teleprompter of the U.S.A.

YAY! Let's adopt a Medicare-like plan for everyone.

Hey, Dean, you genius, Medicare is set to be broke by 2019. What kind of genius wants to model healthcare on a bankrupt plan?

May 29, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  6. Dallas Independent - thank goodness

Howard Dean is full of himself. I don't know one person that likes Medicare! They don't pay for squat.

May 29, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  7. Shellie

Republicans will come out kicking and screaming about this one. Note, however, they have had NO SOLUTIONS to health care themselves. I hope President Obama does come through with Heathcare reform. Lord knows we need it!

May 29, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  8. Lauren

I hope Howard Dean has the answer. If anyone can do a good job it'll be Howard.

May 29, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. Obama Victim

Howard Dean is a left wing political hack..............should be a lot of mono-sylabalic in his book...............oh, and a lot of pictures................do crayons come with purchase???

May 29, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  10. Willy Brown

Dean you are a loser!

May 29, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  11. Fair is Fair

______________________________

Really? I've been paying into the Medicare "system" (a.k.a. PONZI scheme) my entire working career – matched dollar for dollar by my employer.

And after 50+ years of paying into it, I get to pay insurance premiums for the plan when I turn 65. Not to mention that these premiums go higher every year at a rate higher than the Social Security (another PONZI scheme) cost of living increase.

Thanks for the lovely parting gift, you idiot. I'd rather have the Rice-a-Roni.

May 29, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  12. yuri

Dean, in our view, definitely deserved to have been dealt a decent hand in BHO's cabinet, for health deals. Let's see how Howard handles healthcare hazards.

May 29, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  13. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

Who is happy with Medicare? Don't confuse what is better than nothing with satisfaction. And that is the best any national health care system will deliver, something better than nothing, except for the wealthy who of course will continue to have the rights that they can afford.

May 29, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  14. Boudin

This guy does not have a clue. Just more load the taxpayers have to carry to provide for the new welfare state.

May 29, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  15. elliott

This guy's still a nut job...

May 29, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  16. Mark,B'ham,Al.

Medicare is going BANKRUPT and we cannot afford it since Seniors are getting more money spent on them than they paid into the program. I wonder wit Dean being a democrat he mentioned TORT REFORM which is a major cost in medical care now with the Lawyers getting rich by being sue happy. I doubt it because the lawyers are a democrat special interest. In 1978 for one paramedic (me) to ride ambulance cost the company $10,000.00. No telling how much it cost for one paramedic now?

May 29, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  17. Andy J, NY, NY

Hey, CNN-

How about you post something about the Justice department dropping the charges against the Black Panthers who engaged in voter intimidation in Philly?

What, Howard Dean's crappy book is more interesting than Eric Holder and the Justice Dept. letting people get away with voter intimidation?

One of the accused has been ordered to not brandish any weapons within a certain amount of feet from a polling station. Gosh, i thought that was already against the law... oh, wait, IT IS! And this guy broke the law, and intimidated voters by brandishing a weapon out front of a polling station... well, he and his 2 fellow Panthers, i believe.

What a crock.

CNN, how about you do some real reporting? This story has been out since early this morning.

May 29, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  18. HonestMistake

Howard Dean is obviously not on Medicare nor does he likely know anyone on Medicare. He is delusional. Anyone on Medicare who can afford it has a supplemental insurance plan as well – that is the only way you can get what you need.

May 29, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. Shirley In California Now On The Fence Re Obama

Thank you Mr. Dean for your service as the DNC chairman. Although you were criticized much – you made the right decisions and those who don't believe in playing by the rules usually get burned anyway. I wish you success with your new book and I know we could all learn something from it. Those who taunt the word socialism (as a dirty word) should ALL give back their Medicare and social security provisions but of course, they will never do that because they don't even know the meaning of the word.

May 29, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  20. U gotta be kidding

"'It's called Medicare; it covers every American over 65, and they are very happy with the program. The rest of America deserves a similar option.'" let me see it's broke like SS. the Federal Government doesn't mind spending your money and they do a very poor job of it. Because they are all in someone’s pocket, and it not yours because you don't give 100's of thousand of dollars to their campaign! Government control means no competition and that is never good for the consumer. So your 55 and have cancer to bad not cost effective you die!

May 29, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  21. Independent in Virginia (also Hispanic - please get rid of Aff. Action!)

It's already bad enough paying for medicare and social security now, as I won't get the same handout when I retire (bankrupt!). Now I have to pay for everyone else? When has health insurance become a constiutional right?

May 29, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. J.P.

Yep, Medicare... also known as the dopeman giving out free samples so you'll demand more later.

Medicare and health insurance are THEEE very reasons why healthcare is so expensive today... they represent an independent third party interloper parked between a consumer and a seller in the exchange of goods/services. On their own, the consumer and seller would reach an agreement or not, but the third party does not operate in the best interest of the consumer or seller. This third party leech is what drives prices so high.

Don't believe me? ...imagine how expensive your food would be if we had "grocery insurance."

May 29, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. RWE

Howard, does the hypocratic oath you took apply to republicans?

May 29, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  24. barbara

Yea Dean and we see where Medicare is today.

May 29, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  25. Paul

Are Americans really happy with Medicare? Not from what I've heard. However, I still agree with his basic premise.

May 29, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |