May 29th, 2009

Dodd releases first 2010 ad

Sen. Dodd's new ad focuses on his role in getting recent credit card reform legislation passed.

(CNN) - Nearly 18 months before voters head to the polls, Sen. Chris Dodd is out with his first campaign ad.

The 30-second television spot, entitled "Years," relies heavily on the image and voice of President Barack Obama.

The ad opens with an image of Obama from last week when he signed credit card reform legislation. Roughly half of the ad also features a recording of the president discussing the recently enacted bill and Dodd's role in getting the legislation passed.

"I want to give a special shout-out to Chris Dodd who has been a relentless fighter to get this done," the president says in the ad as an image of Obama, Dodd, and several other Members of Congress appears on screen.

The ad then details aspects of the bill designed to protect consumers in their use of credit cards.

The ad begins airing Friday on broadcast and cable outlets across much of Connecticut, according to Dodd's campaign manager Jay Howser. The spot will run for one week.

The ad comes a day after the Connecticut Democrat's office issued a lengthy memo detailing the senator's recent work on behalf of constituents.

Earlier this week, a Quinnipiac University poll also suggested Dodd's standing with Connecticut voters is improving.

The poll indicates that Dodd trails Republican challenger Rob Simmons, a former congressman, by 6 points. That's down from a 16 point deficit in a Quinnipiac poll released in early April.

The survey also suggests that Dodd's approval rating has jumped 5 points, to 38 percent, from his all time low of 33 percent in the April poll. Fifty-three percent of Connecticut voters disapprove of the job Dodd's doing as a senator, down five points from early April.

The poll also indicates that half of Connecticut voters don't think Dodd should run for re-election, with 39 percent saying he should make a bid for another term.

Filed under: 2010 • Chris Dodd • Connecticut
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Good marketing Sen. Dodd.

May 29, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  2. Dont blame me

To Jefe

5) Taking steps to restore the Constitution

I'm sure there are other reasons a non-conservative Republican (aka Neocon) would hate Obama, such as his unwillingness to violate Freedom of Speech and other Constitutional Rights…

---------

Do you have ANY clue as to the assault to the Constition that Obama is undertaking????

Obama's assault on the 1st , 2nd , and 10th amendments are already well under way.

And his new Supreme Court nominee has already shown that she will not abide by her duties and follow the Constituion.

WAKE UP AMERICA, before it is too late.

May 29, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  3. DAVE

pam said
    i am a Dem and I think it is past time for Dodd, Pelosi,Reid and Franks to go. I want them replaced by Dems who are not so power hungry and are willing to work with our President. I think Pelosi is the worst!
    ---------------------–
    Dont mind the replace with dems
    how about they work for the intrests of our country and its people, not just there party or president.
    it needs to be that way on both sides.
    Its becoming the downfall of this country

May 29, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  4. Glennis

Anonymous May 29th, 2009 11:35 am ET

I hope George w Bush's book doesn't sell. I wouldn't buy it.
    He just wants to make extra money for him and laura in their retirement years. He is a despicable person. I hate him. Laura must be in a daydream. she doesn't realize the abuse and nastiness "W"
    inflicted on the American people in his two terms as president.
    ___________________________________________________
    And this has what to do with Chris Dodd? I'm sure Bush doesn't give two hoots in hell whether or not you hate him. Are you saying you could have done better? That's a good one!

May 29, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  5. Steve (the real one)

I mean, I supposedly have a job, but here I am posting on CNN instead of working. Uh oh, this makes me look supicious doesn't it?

May 29, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. Michael

I wish Sen. Dodd great success in all his endeavors. It is about time a politician succeeded whose interest is the good of all Americans and not just wealthy power-brokers.
    If this becomes a trend, "politician" might even become a respectable title instead of a dirty word.

May 29, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |