May 31st, 2009

Hutchison: Filibuster against Sotomayor not likely

(CNN) – Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison suggested Sunday she doubts Republicans will press for a filibuster to prevent Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor from receiving a confirmation vote.

"I don't think that the need for filibuster will be there unless we have not had a chance to look at the record fully," Hutchison told CNN's John King on State of The Union. I have voted for [cloture] sometimes even when I voted against the nominee if I felt that I knew enough about the nominee. I think it will be determined in that way."

Hutchison, who has established an exploratory committee to run for governor of Texas, also said members of her party need to adopt a "solid respectful tone" while examining Sotomayor's record.

"I definitely think we need to have the respectful tone and we need to look at the record. We need to be just very - we need to have the responsibilities that have been put on us by the constitution taken very seriously," Hutchison said. "And I think that having a solid respectful tone, arguing the facts, not trying to label someone, I think is important. And I think going forward that's what you'll see from the senators who are involved in this process."

Filed under: State of the Union
  1. Jeff

She is a racist. Why is it when Latinos, or Blacks talk about pride it's acceptable? When Whites talk about pride its racism. Enough of NAACP, United Negro Fund, La RAZA, etc. She wouldn't have been nominated if she was a qualified white person. Now she says she is successful because of her Latino heritage?

May 31, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  2. Mike Dallas

Spoken like a true Texas republican.

She does not believe what she is saying and secretly agrees with rush and newt but she is trying to salvage the Hispanic vote for her run for governor.

Hispanics are a large voting bloc here in TX.

May 31, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. William

Heather, I've been saying the same thing for months, pay attention to what's going on and vote but it really doesn't seem to do any good.

TR- I was informed recently after sending an email that a relative really didn't like anyone speaking for her or the rest of the nation regarding "Real Americans"! I have to agree with her. I served in the Marine Corps for 16 years, I am active in politics with the Republican party, are you saying because I'm not a Socialist Democrat that I'm not a real American??? Yes, your party has the power now but it wont last because there are Americans that will not stand for the country being changed into a Socialistic Democracy!

May 31, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  4. Erril

[To Heather]

I think you're asking for a little too much. You want people to make intelligent decisions based on their own research and thinking????? What has this world come to!!!!

That's kind of like saying the world would be a better place if people minded their own business.

May 31, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  5. Proud DHS radical

Simply give Sotomayor the same respect t at her confirmation hearings that the democrats gave to Clarence Thomas or Robert Bork.

May 31, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  6. liberalism and religions are the same

Both are delusion philosophies founded on an ignorance of reality.

May 31, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. roger

If the Republicans DON'T stand up now there WILL be a third party !!! Stand up and be counted or go home and stay thereyou RINOS!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  8. Lori

Filibuster her, Hutchinson! I dare you and your fellow clowns to filibuster Sotomayor! I love watching the demise of the RACIST and SEXIST GOP.

May 31, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  9. me

can anyone tell me where Marxism is effectively practiced in the industrial world?

May 31, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. me

truth:
    have no fear...Sotomayor will not treat you as you have treated them...

May 31, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  11. To Heather

Heather-
    Well said and thank you.
    However, if you are waiting for the majority of the posters here to actually READ and make an informed decision, I am afraid that you are going to be sorely disappointed. CNN has, in effect, created a playground for children to fight on by allowing people to post their opinions without moderation. This is, unfortunately, the world we live in. The days of thoughtful discourse amongst educated, insightful people are over. It's all clamor and the honking of geese from here on. Sorry.

May 31, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  12. Ted Tartaglia

Kay Bailey Hutchison is one of few Republicans not following Boss Limbaugh's commands. If elected governor of Texas, maybe she can start to break up the good old idiots club down there. The wingnuts will probably mount a huge effort to defeat her because she offers a voice of reason. I hope she prevails.

May 31, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  13. John P

I am a Democrat, a minority, and a liberal and I don't want Sonya on the Supreme Court bench. She isn't smart enough, even her friends & colleagues say she isn't smart. her published opinions are not sophisticated. There is an article in the The New Republic (which is a liberal magazine) saying Sonya is a bad choice. Her comment about Latina females making better Judges than white males was the final straw for me.

I think Sonya has been an affirmative action case her whole life. I think her admission to both Princeton and Yale was because she is a minority. I bet there were 100s of better qualified applicants for those spots. Sonya should release her LSAT score and her marks in university.

May 31, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  14. Richard

If Sotomayor were really a racist, the Republicans would have recruited her a long time ago.

May 31, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  15. Kate in SW Fla

Boy, the hate speech and rhetoric are flying today. Judge Sotomayor is not a racist. One comment, from one speech, 8 years ago does not a racist make. That charge is especially ridiculous when the entire speech is not included in the analysis, assuming there ven WAS an analysis. In her 17 years on the bench, there is not a single case that anyone can point to that supports this outlandish charge. It is politics, plain and simple, and is disgraceful.
    If you fire back about the white firefights one more time, you will just prove that you do not have a clue what you are talking about. Judge Sotomayor was a member of a 3 judge appellate panel, that ruled unanymously that, although they had great sympathy for the firefighters, that AS A MATTER OF LAW AND PRECEDENT, they were required to let the District Court ruling stand. In other words, the exact opposite of "activist judges." The law is flawed, and that is why the Supreme Court has taken up the case. To review the LAW, not the district or appellate court rulings. Didn't ANY of you people study civics?

May 31, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  16. Independent

State of the Union???? Why isn't your show called "The Republican Hour??"

Well annie honey, it takes one to know one...doesn't it???? I resent being called a liar, I was once a Republican, left the party, can you imagine why???

May 31, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  17. A Wilson

To "The Party of NO is only “pro-life” so they will be able to kill the “babies” 18 years later as soldiers in an elective religious war."

You are obviously hurting from something... Perhaps you once believed, but now have turned away after going through something painful. I'll pray for you and not wish anything harmful for you. Why, because I'm a Christian. Maybe you too, if we are still alive when the rapture comes, will be able to go home too and leave behind this screwed-up world we live in.

May 31, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Sotomayor had a much better academic record than Alito and the most bench experience of any Supreme Court nominee in 100 years. But the GOP Klansman will make up anything to make it seem like a woman and a minority is unqualified. That is why the GOP is the southern rump party.

May 31, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  19. Bernard Werwinski Sr.

The Republicans will let racist comments slide because they are more interested in trying to gain "hispanic" votes. Do you think the Dems would let such a comment pass if it were a white male making such comments in reverse? You can bet not. The Republicans are not only political fools thinking that anything they do can win over the vote they are so interested in not offending;they are also,cowards, who will not speak the truth about such blatant racism. Then they wonder why the party is being decimated. Can you imagine any more insanity that they can let prevail? We need a conservative party that stands by values and not political opportunism. Sadly, a former Reagan Republican. BTW

May 31, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  20. Kenneth

Oh, and by the way folks-
    A little history. Lincoln was in fact a Republican, in the days when the Republicans were the LIBERAL, BIG GOVERNMENT, TAX-AND-SPEND PARTY! The Dems didn't take on that mantle until the 1930's as rebellion against the New Deal. Southern Democrats couldn't deal with the idea and became Republicans, forcing the LIBERAL Republicans to switch parties also and become Democrats. So, quit embracing Lincoln, he is our standard bearer, not yours.

And "Truth Bomb Thrower" your sister just called and she is about to have your baby. Congratulations.

May 31, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  21. Kate in SW Fla

Oh, and John P. You are no liberal, minority, democrat. This is the latest trick of the Republicans, to pretend they are Democrats, or voted for Obama, but are now "disappointed." Nonsense. My husband joined a Neocon mail list, to see what the opposition is up to, and this is one of their new gimmicks. They are urging their members to do this, to write on blogs, send letters to the editor or call into the radio shows, pretending to be "disillusioned democrats." How very undemocratic, with a lower case d.

May 31, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  22. Erik

Lori attacks the Republicans if they find reason to fight Sotomayors confirmation. And calls them racist ? Its interesting, Republicans havent been the ones to have special programs that put quotas or race over other races. But yet the Democrats put people down in there little govt programs that never amount to anything other than discrimination to others. How shameful. I watched Sotomayor make a comment where she believes that she can legislate from the bench . Im sure many others have seen the same clip. Doesn't that worry any Libs out there ? Legislating from the bench goes against the founders, doesnt it ?

May 31, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  23. Elmer

Liberals somehow manage to see only side of the story. Please let me hear the next time a white male slips up that one comment does not a racist make. It won't happen because liberals ignore the facts and just call all republicans as idiots in reply to any hard question. Real ingenious!

On Sotomayor, even Obama is having second thoughts. Look at his words. He wishes he did something different.

Signed – a conservative democrat. Believe it or not!

May 31, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  24. Ex-RepublicanTX

To Heather:
    The problem is many can read but few can comprehend. I once substitue as a teacher in a premoninanty white and black/hispanic schools and the white children goof off and think themselves above instruction, rude, disrespectful and spoiled like their parents. The white/hispanics/asian and indians children are more challenged and are excelling now more than the white children who cheats their way through school and spend time texting, chatting and bragging about their parents assests and porfolio. Now they have what we have today. Rushes, Cheneys, Newts etc. Cry Cry babies who feel that WHITES have more entitelment than others. As a White Female Republican Educator I am laughing my tush off, because ignorant people are all the way to the washington who can read, recite, but cannot comprehen and analyze a speech...it is just paining them that ethnic groups are excelling and they cant deal with it. Well if you were whipping and scolding your spoiled children like black/hispanics/asians/indians parents were you would not have to be feeling like you do now. Next a Hispanic in the White House....

May 31, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  25. Howard in Novato, CA

I find it both amusing and sad at the way the Republi-cant posters (especially the one claiming to be a Democrat) questioning her intellect or credentials saying things like she has been "affirmative actioned" her entire life to get where she is. Affirmative action does not get you to graduate from Princeton University at the top of your class. Affirmative action did not get her into the position of head of the Yale Law Review.

I would like to remind all those rabid racists (whether or not they realize they are one or not by the arguments they make) that she was appointed to the Federal bench as a judge by a Republican President, George Herbert Walker Bush. I guess the first Bush President wasn't Republican enough for those clowns.

May 31, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |