June 1st, 2009

Clinton pledges to fight for gay rights worldwide

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton pledged Monday to fight for gay rights and called on the world to stop discrimination and violence based on sexual orientation.

"As secretary of state, I will advance a comprehensive human rights agenda that includes the elimination of violence and discrimination against people based on sexual orientation or gender identity," Clinton said in a written statement.

President Barack Obama has proclaimed June to be Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month.

Clinton's statement marked the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall riots in New York City, often considered the launch of the U.S. gay rights movement.

"The example set by those fighting for equal rights in the United States gives hope to men and women around the world who yearn for a better future for themselves and their loved ones," Clinton said.

She acknowledged that gays and lesbians still have a long way to go to achieve equality in the United States, but noted homosexuals in some parts of the world live in constant fear of violence or arrest.

"The persecution of gays and lesbians is a violation of human rights and an affront to human decency, and it must end," Clinton said.

The Obama administration broke with that of George W. Bush to support a United Nations resolution calling for decriminalization of homosexuality, which is currently punishable by death in seven countries.

In addition, Clinton aides last month said the secretary of state soon will extend to same-sex partners of homosexual diplomats benefits equal to those that partners of their heterosexual colleagues receive.

In her statement Monday, Clinton saluted the service of "our lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees in Washington and around the world."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Georgia

Let it be ,Hillary.There are far more crucial issues & needs for this country & the world !

June 1, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. Rob

Terrific

June 1, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  3. Daniel Mayinja

My hat is way off for you Mrs. Clinton. You're up there with John the beloved, Peter and James; even Jesus, but that would piss off all those ***** who think they speak for the him. Hell, if they're talking about canonizing the late Nyerere of Tanzania, your name should be on the list. In any event, YOU GO GIRL!!

June 1, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  4. Angry

This is what we get?!? Some lame attempt of fixing the rest of the world when I get undermined and fired from a job I was discriminated against in a month ago? Let alone my inability to get health insurance from my partner or my inability to enter the armed services as I wanted to do several years ago! Thanks for nothing! Fix our country as an example so we don't look like such hypocrites!

June 1, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  5. David

What a breath of fresh air.

June 1, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  6. Polly

It's not about persecuting Gays and Lesbians. This is about protecting people's rights. For many, it's about protecting the sanctity of The Word of God. Are you going to fight for the rights of people who have sex with animals? How far is it going to be allowed to go?

June 1, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  7. Professor

I am saddened to hear about Ms. Clinton's pledge to fight for gay rights worldwide. We Christians certainly do not condone violence against gays (or against anyone else for that matter). But discrimination against gays is proper. Gay marriage is an abomination to our GOD, but GOD loves and approves of heterosexual marriages.

In taking the side of the gays, Ms. Clinton is befriending the gays and opposing the GOD of Israel, the Holy Bible, and the Christian Church. James the Apostle has written:

"Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of GOD." James 4:4b.

I would hate to be Hillary Clinton on Judgment Day!

June 1, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  8. JS007

Ahmmm, Hillary, how about giving gay people equal rights in YOUR OWN country first?

June 1, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  9. Pee Wee

"Sex-change you can believe in!" Si Se Puede!

June 1, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  10. Jeff in Houston

Hope you don't get stoned by the Inquisition and the Flat Earth Society. Both are alive and well. They just go by different names these days. But you are doing the right thing. No thinking person can help but support you in your efforts. Good luck.

June 1, 2009 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  11. S Callahan

As a Christian my God has demanded I be kind to others, and love others. And I will do that...and have done that. But , a line is drawn on the sacredness of marriage..which God ordained from the heavens as between a 'man and a woman' created by 'his' design. This is not just two bodies marrying, but as promised from ages past and ordained in heaven as the two 'becoming one' in spirit. It's not just a paper act (legal marriage) but a spiritual marriage.

June 1, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  12. Carl W Smelcer

I'm a Demacrat and I have followed hillery for years, but I honestly beleave that on t he matter of gays, she is dead wrong. Being a Christian and belie.ve in the bible, God made it very clear that homosexuals, both men and women were an Obomanation

June 1, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. Kiwi Dynamo

hmmm, I lost a lot respect for her during the primaries but she's showing a damn site more guts on this issue than the current President. Me thinks I've been too harsh on HRC.

June 1, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  14. But Hillary......

your boss, Pres. Obama, says marriage is ONLY between a man and a woman. Are you going to go up against Obama? Can't wait to see this.

June 1, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  15. Ron

Thank you Madam Secretary. The winds are blowing. It's time!

June 1, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  16. jennifer

Amen! That's all.

June 1, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  17. James

What is to be gained by her fighting for gay rights? She is doing this strictly for the gay vote. She knows that the gay community is not one that everyone will associate with. The gay practices are appalling.

I suppose that any politician that will be seeking office has to have that vote to get elected. Personally I would rather lose an election than support a practice that is so nasty and disgusting.

I will not mistreat any gay person but I surely will not back down on my stance just to get their respect.

June 1, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  18. Jasmine in Germany

It is about time that the US recognizes human rights within its own borders according to its own Constitution. For those who never thought about it; homosexuality has been around since the beginning of mankind, it's nothing new. Sexuality is not and should not be a "State" issue. Choice, privacy,and identity of sexuality should be an unalienable right to all humans. I thought the witch burnings were over, but the US still has a long way to go.

June 1, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  19. Michael, Chapel Hill

Once in power, the real agenda comes out.

June 1, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  20. Terry McGraw

Good for Hilary Clinton.

June 1, 2009 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  21. Don

I'm glad somebody in this administration is listening!

June 1, 2009 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  22. Bill Cross

If god wanted men to be with men. He would not have made woman.

June 1, 2009 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  23. demwit

Gay rights is obviously a personal issue for Hillary.

June 1, 2009 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  24. Matt

The freakshow never ends with these wierdos.

Well, at least we've got our priorities in order. Nukes in Korea and Iran? Hmm. We might want to talk about that. GLBTs not being treated right in outer Mongolia – now THAT's SERIOUS!!!!!!

June 1, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  25. emmanuel

I love all people,however i believe we the people shoud set aside a month to teach how to love all people

June 1, 2009 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |