June 2nd, 2009

Nancy Reagan to appear at WH, lunch with Michelle Obama

Former first lady Nancy Reagan will be attending an event at the White House on Tuesday afternoon.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former first lady Nancy Reagan will personally attend a White House ceremony Tuesday afternoon when President Obama signs legislation authorizing the Ronald Reagan Centennial Commission, CNN has learned.

Mrs. Reagan will also attend the unveiling of a new statute of President Reagan Wednesday morning at 10 a.m. in the Capitol Rotunda. After the unveiling, the former first lady will share a private White House lunch with Michelle Obama.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Nancy Reagan • President Obama
  1. Richard L

Nancy will probably thank President Obama for his support of stem cell research which might be able to eventually save people who are like Ronald Reagan was. Of course, Bush opposed it.

June 2, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  2. Sam I Am

Nancy and Ron brought a lot of class to the White House in their day, and helped a hurting nation recover. They faced conflicts overseas and financial crises at home. Sound familiar? I'm sure Nancy and the Obamas have a lot in common, and a lot to talk about.

On a side note, for those of you who cannot let the teleprompter thing go, I'd suggest that you look at ANY politician, newscaster, or public figure when they give a speech. They ALL use teleprompters. The idea of a telepromter is so that you can read the speech you and your team wrote without constantly looking down at the lectern. I for one think it's refreshing that the president actually looks up from his notes, and reads his speeches in a manner that doesn't sound like he's reading his fourth grade essay on what he did on summer vacation. Perhaps, had Bush been able to read at normal adult speed, he could have used telepromters too.

June 2, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  3. JD

I'm left wing but always liked that lady. Best wishes and have fun, Mrs. Reagan!

June 2, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  4. Proud DHS radical

Where would Obama be?...Must be on another road trip on the taxpayer's dime.

June 2, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  5. Dave

Never was a big fan of Nancy and Ron, but I do hope she has a nice visit and enjoys the statue.

June 2, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  6. Dan

It's a pity you hate filled liberal robots can't show as much class as President Obama and the first lady.

June 2, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  7. phoenix86

I realize reading the liberal bloggers here that liberals are apparently unable to learn, study or even remember anything that happened more than 2 or 3 days ago. That explains better than anything why they insist on repeating past mistakes.

It's either that or they are suffering from some genetic form of ingrained stupidity. If so, I fully support abortion for any liberal, as well as euthanasia or perhaps pyschiatric incarceration. It seems very necessary for the greater good.

June 2, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  8. Mike

If only other democrats and republicans would be so civil.

June 2, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. Maryann Rose

Anderson's mom is Gloria Vanderbilt. I'm not sure why CNN is showing Nancy Reagan with him. Is he having lunch with Michelle also?

June 2, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  10. Chris D.

Wow.....this is bipartisanship at it's best.....the champion of conservatism, being celebrated by the champion of progressivism.......
    Does anyone ever notice that when Presidents' leave office they often become civil colleagues though they share differing ideologies? I.e. Clinton, Bush? I guess it's due to the fact that the Presidency remains the smallest club in America. Only a few have walked where they've walked.
    America this should show us that conservatives and liberals/progressives need to form common ground on the issues.

June 2, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  11. James, Phoenix AZ

Next to President Reagan's statue, how about a memorial to the hundreds of thousands of Iranians killed by weapons that Pres. Reagan sent to Saddam Hussein to fight the Iran/Iraq War?

Ouch, reality hurts.

June 2, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. donttreadonme

Sam I Am June 2nd, 2009 11:41 am ET
    ______________________________________________________
    Wrong, they were not used durring every press conference by any President before Obama. While the press is asking questions his staff is feeding him talking points? It makes you wonder if this guy has a pure thought of his own?

June 2, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  13. bill b. from Stratford,Ct

As a person who was old enough to see the crap Reagan did to this country in the 80's with his polices, he was the one of worst President in our time, besides Bush. Reaganomics killed this country and the middle class working folks. When I hear those Rethugs on TV saying how great Reagan was, it makes me sick. He lift one of the biggest deficit in U.S. history. Reagan did away with everything that was helping people and most of the after school programs that allowed families to invest into things like, art, music classes, programs that kept children busy. President Clinton was the only President in my live time that lift a surplus when he lift the White House, 283 billion dollar and that thief Bush and his criminals ran through that in know time.

June 2, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  14. I marriedmymother in New Jersey

Nancy ran the country for at least four years,shes was very smart.I think Nancy is still hot.

June 2, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. Mari( maybe one of my comments will be posted)

Seriously people, the teleprompter??? EVERY politician when giving an important speech uses one! Good grief!

That's lovely of Mrs. Reagan to go to the White House for lunch with Mrs. Obama. They have lots in common.

Frankly, I think that a classy lady like Nancy Reagan is appalled at the GOP tactics!

June 2, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  16. Renee

No matter what you think of either of these women(Michelle Obama or Nancy Reagan), their political leanings, or their husbands, I find comments saying Nancy should be dead or it will be a waste of good dirt when she is buried repugnant.

Each person has a right to their comments, I respect that, I am just expressing my own and I find it in bad taste that comments like these are deemed necessary because one disagrees with her husband's policies or dislikes her political leanings. I find both of these women to be classy and strong and hope they have a very enjoyable time together.

June 2, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  17. Mark Cross Junction VA

At least there will be some class in the White House for a few Hours.

June 2, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  18. Mari( maybe one of my comments will be posted)

@ "dontreadonme"............. You are the one who is WRONG.......... President Obama does not use a teleprompter when he is answering questions at a press conference!

Please stop with your silliness over teleprompter use! EVERY politician uses one when ........ giving an important speech!

Pay attention.

June 2, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  19. Angie in Pa

Nancy Reagan is a Nice lady too bad her Husband was not a good President but she is Kind of creepy with the whole She talks to the dead stuff!

June 2, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  20. Minnesotan

Nancy needs to remind the conservative dimwits that her husband's tax rate was much higher than Bush's and that Obama is merely increasing taxes to the 'almighty' Ronnie Reagan era level.

June 2, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. Steve

Nancy is a good woman. Watch for Rush to eviscerate her soon.

Oh, and I won't tell the right-wingers to stop talking about the teleprompter. God forbid I should keep them from touting one of their most important ideas. :)

June 2, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  22. Pepou

Those who complain about teleprompters are usually inarticulate people who would be at a loss to speak in public. So enough on that matter please !

June 2, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  23. donttreadonme

Regan laid the foundation for the booming economies of the 80's and 90's. You libs really need a history lesson.

Clinton opened up trade with communist China.

Alex P Keaton for Prez!

June 2, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  24. Rick CT

Minnesotan, Reaan's tax rates may have been higher than Bush's,but the rich paid a greater share of the tax burden under Bush than they did under Reagan. Are you interested in maximizing total revenues or merely punishing those evil rich people (and perhaps sending them somewhere else where they'll pay nothing to the US).

June 2, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. Jean

Michelle should be traveling to CA to see Nancy.

Nancy is a bit old to travel that far.

June 2, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |