June 2nd, 2009

Nancy Reagan to appear at WH, lunch with Michelle Obama

Former first lady Nancy Reagan will be attending an event at the White House on Tuesday afternoon.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former first lady Nancy Reagan will personally attend a White House ceremony Tuesday afternoon when President Obama signs legislation authorizing the Ronald Reagan Centennial Commission, CNN has learned.

Mrs. Reagan will also attend the unveiling of a new statute of President Reagan Wednesday morning at 10 a.m. in the Capitol Rotunda. After the unveiling, the former first lady will share a private White House lunch with Michelle Obama.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Nancy Reagan • President Obama
  1. big papa

looks like someone made a eunuch out of Carlos...

...probably his mother...

...the inbred sow...

...anyhow, Michelle will keep on stunning us with her beauty and brilliance...

...and haters like Carlos will die anonymous, stupid and petty...

June 2, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  2. Brian0901

@donttreadonme

You are either really stupid or really,really stupid.

In the rural area of PA. where I was born and raised there were several textile mills and a large crame manufacuterer where my father has worked for alomost 40 years.

Due to Reagan's polocies the textiles mills all closed. My father's employer experienced it's worse downturn in their history, their best was under Bill Clinton. I think a man with 40 years there would know. The unemployment offices in the 80's here were so busy that the lines were stretched out the door. My father was only working 1 week a month and my mother lost her job as did my grandfather. It was only under pres. clinton did we finally see some recovery

I dare you to tell me this did not happened.

June 2, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  3. Veronica

Enjoy ladies.

June 2, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. Happy

I think CNN should discontinue these blogs. They clearly are failing to contribute anything of value or substance. Just rabid extremists foaming at the mouth. Hardly a venue for civil debate.

June 2, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Bud Burgoon-Clark

As a former First Lady, I imagine that she has Secret Service protection, and that President Obama will send a plane for her. Not a peep out of Rethuglicriminals about THAT.

June 2, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  6. bud in NC

You may like or dislike either President Obama or President Reagan. That is fine. But what is the point of attacking their wives? That is only done by week kneed classless wusses. Do y'all get your jollies seeing your vile in print? Be adults and let's hear an intelligent discussion about the issues.

June 2, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. Tony

"james June 2nd, 2009 12:29 pm ET

All you Reaganites are the ones who need to get your facts straight. Read Krugman's column in the "New York Times"

I'd rather read non-plagiarized work, thanks.

June 2, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  8. Randolph Carter

Rick CT wrote: Minnesotan, Reaan's tax rates may have been higher than Bush's,but the rich paid a greater share of the tax burden under Bush than they did under Reagan.

That's because there were so many more of them under Bush. There were also a lot more poor people under Bush. Middle class? Not so much. Now who's policies redistribute wealth? Have a nice day!

June 2, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. Anni

Stop acting like you are in Junior High School and grow up – I mean that for both the conservatives and liberals. If you feel the need to spew this much hatered over two First Ladies having lunch then this country is headed to disaster – it does not matter who is President or who is the majority party.

June 2, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  10. shucks

I guess it must have been in the stars.

June 2, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  11. Brian0901

@donttreadonme

You are either really stupid or really,really stupid.

I dare you to tell me this did not happen.

June 2, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. dominican mama 4 Obama

Doug, New Jersey June 2nd, 2009 11:02 am ET

Maybe a visit from a woman who cared about all Americans, not just some, will rub off on Michelle

What?! Your stupidity is showing again Doug.

June 2, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  13. shucks

Reagan also was notorious for breaking unions. More unions were broken or lost under Reagan than any other president. Asked the steel industry how helpful he was to them when they came to ask for help in curbing imported steel which was being subsidized and 1/2 of what it cost to manufacture here. Ask.

June 2, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  14. Osama Bin Laden

MAX - Dang right Reagan gAve us back pride right along with the making of Osama Bin Laden. Do you people not remember the IRAN-CONTRA AFFAIR WITH OLLIE NORTH. Do you not know what that was all about. Do you not remember when asked by a congressman why he spent $25,000 on a security system. His answer,"because of the scariest man in the world." Under orders from Reagan and Bush he had been supplying Bin Laden arms, ammunition and money to fight Russia in Afghanistan with gorilla war tactics. They cut him off when the Iran-Contra affair became world known. This created a monster as far as the U.S. was concerned. Wake up America. The same thing happened in NAM. We had no business there other than trying to help France gain it back as one of their provinces after Germany defeated them. At what cost 58,000 American lives. YOU CAN NOT BELIEVE THE REUBLICANS ON ANYTHING THEY ARE GANGSTERS. CALL ME A FANATIC. THEN DO SOME RESEARCH. SEE IF IT IS NOT THE TRUTH. OF COURSE CNN WILL NOT POST THIS.

June 2, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  15. Randolph Carter

Oops, I wrote Who's when I meant to write whose. Hoist on one's own petard! Have a nice day!

June 2, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  16. JR

How nice, do you think she'll bring :Ronnie" with her or will she leave her visitations at home?

June 2, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  17. Kevin

Soome of the comments from the left and right have absolutely nothing to do with the gist of the story. There is hate being spewed from both sides. I was not a big fan of Reagan's politics but I respect what he contributed to the country during his tenure. Regardless of our political differences, show the former first lady some respect. and for some of you, please grow up!

June 2, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. Ms. Dee, Texas

But not for the grace of God, I would never have survived during the Reagan years. Ronald Reagan was not a President for ALL of the people. Of course, the Republicans sing his praises because his policies only benefitted RICH OLD WHITE MEN.

What's amazing to me is that they call President Obama a rock star, they criticize Hollywood for fawning over him. Yet they reveranced a "B' rated movie star (Ronald Reagan). Hob nobbed with Hollywood stars constantly, but now that Hollywood is riding the Obama locomotive, it's a problem.

If Ronald Reagan had been 1/4 of the man Mr. Obama is; he should consider himself lucky. The man was a devil! You reap what you sow before you leave this earth . . . . and I must say . . .Truly he reaped!

June 2, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  19. Ryan

Vitriol helps no one.

June 2, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  20. dominican mama 4 Obama

@republican scum scum June 2nd, 2009 12:48 pm ET

the only good republican is one who is 6 feet under the ground, or better yet being cremated so they dont waste precious earth space

I disagree. There are a lot of good Republicans out there. I voted for a couple of them. These types of comments are scary to me. I respect your right to say them, but still..... if the shoe were on the other foot....

June 2, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  21. ch

Michelle Obam must be horrified to be forced to appear with a woman whose husband did NOTHING but harm to African-Americans.

June 2, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  22. Brian0901

@donttreadonme

You are either really stupid or really,really stupid.

In the rural area of PA. where I was born and raised there were several textile mills and a large crane manufacuterer where my father has worked for almost 40 years.

I dare you to tell me this did not happen.

June 2, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. Renee

I don't remember Reagan trying to litigate his version of the bible. The republicans went downhill from there. (And they continue their downward spiral into a black hole).

Good for Nancy. I think she and Michelle will have a wonderful lunch and chat.

June 2, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  24. james

Mrs. Reagan obviously hasn't read Obama's Audacity of Hope book. He makes it clear he is not much of a Reagan fan. I used to like Reagan, but I'm starting to change my mind too. Policies that make the rich richer and poor poorer is not a long term sustainable strategy.

June 2, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  25. Wolves 4 Palin Charlotte, NC

Since Mrs. Reagan will be traveling at taxpayers expense – with the recession, et. all – will the RNC complain about her wasting their money?

June 2, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |