June 2nd, 2009

Obama's NBA prediction

Obama picked Kobe Bryant and the Lakers to beat Orlando in six games.
Obama picked Kobe Bryant and the Lakers to beat Orlando in six games.

(CNN) – As he departed the White House Tuesday evening for his five day trip to the Middle East and Europe, President Barack Obama made a quick prediction:

“Lakers in six, I think," the president said when asked by a reporter for Bloomberg News who he thought would prevail in the NBA finals - beginning Thursday and pitting the Los Angeles Lakers against the Orlando Magic.

Fans of both teams can take heart. The president correctly predicted the NCAA Basketball champion in March (The University of North Carolina), but falsely predicted the Lakers would win the NBA finals last year, also in six games. (Instead, it was the Boston Celtics who won in six.)

Filed under: Extra • President Obama
  1. Felines for Freedom

I am an Obama fan, but he's got this one pegged incorrectly; not sure if he realizes the Magic are 2-0 against LA this year. I predict Magic in 6.

June 2, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  2. Jamey

Wasn't Florida close? , well California wasn't.... o well nice to see a backbone... LA wins..

June 2, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  3. Christine

Well this is just about as important as a night out in NYC! People are losing their jobs and homes he is making a 'basketball quick prediction'...he's a joke as a president!

June 2, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  4. Richard Saunders

Even though many criticized McCain for his ad comparing Obama to the likes of Hilton and Spears, it is turning out to be scarily accurate. Wouldn't a more important prediction be something like: Obama's disastrous economic policies cause hyperinflation and the dollar plummets? Here's my prediction: Despite showing absolutely no concern for a ballooning deficit and continuing many Bush era practices, the Obamaniacs will continue to defend his policies.

June 2, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  5. Mando

As a Floridian I find Obama's pro-Californian pick a betrayal. Hopefully he's as bad at predicting the outcome of basketball games as he is at economics. Go Magic!!!

June 2, 2009 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  6. malclave

Barry must have been inspired by the Lakers' change to the Star Spangled Banner last week.

June 2, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  7. Kevin B

I agree with Mr Obama L.A .in six Go Lakers...................!

June 2, 2009 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  8. alyosha

Whew! That is some hard driving journalism there!

June 2, 2009 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  9. ronna

President Obama, I have had faith in you so far and as a true Lakers' fan, I can only hope you are right again. My faith did waiver a bit when you picked North Carolina over UCLA during March Madness but guess what – unfortunately, you were spot on.

June 2, 2009 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  10. Jason

Let the "I can't believe Obama is watching basketball instead of fixing the country" comments begin...

June 2, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  11. Unhappy Dem

hope he knows more about basketball than he does running a country

June 2, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  12. Wanza

I wished the president gets out of these sport predictions business and concetrate on the important business of the Nation. He is only creating bad feelings.

June 2, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  13. Carolyn White

I Predict Obama will be exposed for the illegal Alien who he is , KENYA BORN usurper

June 2, 2009 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  14. Dee, NJ

Jimmy The Pres, I'm picking Howard and the Magic's, in 8 games.

June 2, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  15. rick james

I was with you with UNC but heavens, BEAT LA!!!

June 2, 2009 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  16. Stepford wives are the best

I pick President Obama to win in 2012.

June 2, 2009 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  17. Van - Bloomington, Ill.

Are you kidding me- who cares? Especially since he's not exactly a prophet based on earlier predictions.

June 2, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  18. I'm all for levity

but get to work

June 2, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  19. Allan Woodland Hills, CA.

Once again, I agree with our President. Lakers in 6.

June 2, 2009 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. Dorothy

I am sure there are going to be all sorts of snide remarks about the President's prediction and people are going to say who cares what he thinks but I, for one, think it is refreshing that we have a President that is interested in things going on in this country instead of every word coming out of his mouth being IRAQ.

Godspeed on your trip, Mr President

June 2, 2009 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  21. Here's some predictions......

1.. Obama will turn on Israel in order to appease Muslim terrorists--Jews who voted for Obama are screwed.

2. Obama will continue to threaten N. Korea and Iran but do nothing.
    Soon enough, N. Korea will sell a nuke to Al Qaeda that will turn up in a suitcase in the U.S. You can't threaten people unless you follow through on the threat.

3. Obama will continue to say that marriage is ONLY between a man and a woman, thereby confirming his opinion that gays are less than human and have no right to marry.

June 2, 2009 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  22. Rob

I have a prediction for Obama... I predict he's going to make good on his promise to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell. How's that?

June 2, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  23. anonymous

magic in 7

June 2, 2009 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  24. Big Spender

Can I borrow a few million bucks? And after I spend it all, can I borrow a few million more after I file for bankruptcy? and then can we just let the tax payers pay the money back?

Thanks!