June 3rd, 2009

Limbaugh ready to support Sotomayor?

Limbaugh could support Sotomayor, but said he still thinks she is a racist.
Limbaugh could support Sotomayor, but said he still thinks she is a racist.

(CNN) - A week after calling Sonia Sotomayor a "racist" in reference to her 2001 "wise Latina" remarks, conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday he's now open to supporting President Obama's Supreme Court nominee.

"I can see a possibility of supporting this nomination if I can be convinced that she does have a sensibility toward life in a legal sense," Limbaugh said on his radio program.

Limbaugh's statement comes the same day former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who himself derided Sotomayor as a "racist" last week, wrote in an op-ed that he regretted his choice of words.

On his show Wednesday, Limbaugh said his potential support of Sotomayor stems from the nominee's unclear stance on abortion coupled with the fact that she is a Catholic.

"I don't know that it will ever happen, but if you know, the opportunity to get somebody like her, she's a Catholic, she's a devout Catholic, she's a Hispanic Catholic, Puerto Rican, they tend to be devout, she hasn't got a record on this. Normally liberals do have a record," Limbaugh said.

But, unlike Gingrich, the conservative talker did not back away from his contention Sotomayor is a racist.

I didn't know why he retracted it," Limabaugh said of Gingrich. "What is it? It's racism, reverse racism, whatever, but it's still racism, and she would bring a form of racism and bigotry to the court. But as I said yesterday, folks, I'm - I'm - I may look past that.

Meanwhile, Obama officials have said the president has not directly asked Sotomayor how she might rule in abortion rights cases, but California Democrat Dianne Feinstein - who met with Sotomayor Tuesday - said that the judge believes strongly in legal precedent.

"I believe she has a real respect for precedent and … if that is really true then I will agree with her, and I believe it is," said Feinstein, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Filed under: Extra • Rush Limbaugh • Sonia Sotomayor • Supreme Court
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

What is this, back track day? First the Grinch, now the Boss! lol

June 3, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  2. carlo

Does anyone at CNN know how to use spell check? There are numerous spelling errors in this ticker, but I digress.

Who cares if Rush approves? You act like he has the Good Housekeeping Seal of approval stamp or something. He's a fat, uneducated, uncouthed, undignified, tasteless, racist, blowhard. I mean that with all sincerity.

June 3, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. Dont blame me

Come on CNN.

Print the REST of Rush's comments, why don't you??????

As usual, you are only printing what suits you and NOT all of the FACTS.

Shame on yoy CNN.

June 3, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Jeff

Why are we still paying attention to Limbaugh?

Although if anybody were to have a unique insight on the legal system, it may be Limbaugh, with his previous legal run-ins.

June 3, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. NC=Blue in 2008

As they say down south – Someone got a good talkin' to. LOL!!! First Newt, now Rush....who's next?

June 3, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. kay

Your writer should review and edit before he prints.

June 3, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. ron

What a loser! these people have no shame. Mississippi mike you buffoon where is your apology?

June 3, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. hongli

What a JERK!!!!!!! How can a human being change his mind so many times. This proves to the world that Rush Limbaugh is a complete RACIST and lives on the worst drugs that exist in the United States of America. Everyone with common sense knew this change was not coming from his heart but a rebuke by his own Repugs. TOO late Rush ---The entire world knows you hate blacks and latinos.

June 3, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. kay

Carlo, please also check your usuage and spelling.

June 3, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  10. No Incumbents 2010

Rush is the dumbest GOP commentator ever. Knows nothing about what it takes to be a good Supreme Court justice. Interesting how many GOP leaders have not condemned Rush's remarks about being a racist.

June 3, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. sms29s

Well now I guess the Senate can confirm her. Thank you, Rush. That's really generous of you. Does anyone else think this looks as though he's losing his grip on the reins of power?

June 3, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  12. gl, Pittsburgh

Wow! President Obama is starting to have an effect on all these racist loud months. Peace at last – Check mate.

June 3, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  13. MsDp

Wow, this is really a joke. It's call reverse psychology and I hope Rush is the one who is fooled.

June 3, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. worriedmom

Hmmm maybe it will make Obama wonder why everyone is being so apologetic all of a sudden. Look I didnt have anything against this woman, because i dont know enough about her to judge. sure wish the LIberals could think that way. I have never in my life seen such hatred and venom from the Left...... Have you people been so miserable all these years? Maybe you need to get a life and enjoy the good things that we do have in life and stop trying to be so hateful to others. You may find if you do that , that you may actually like yourself!

June 3, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  15. Tim

Who cares what her stance on abortion is. Honestly, even if Roe v. Wade was overturned, things would not change much...the states where abortions are performed would keep it legal, and the states that already do everything possible to prevent it would make it illegal. Most people would not see a difference as a practical concern.

And besides, the feds could always just pass a law in Congress.

June 3, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  16. Jane

..."she's a Hispanic Catholic, Puerto Rican, they tend to be devout, she hasn't got a record on this."

Rush, this sounds racist to me – aren't you the "pot" calling the "kettle black? It's too bad you can't ever say anything that does not contain a slam in it.

What a joke!

June 3, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. Patty

Tell the CNN typist to use spell-check on his/her work . . .

June 3, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. A registered republican

Somebody needs to stick a pin in this big bag of bad air.

June 3, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Steph

Well, now that the Republican Senators have their marching orders from their boss...let's move on to the confirmation hearings.

June 3, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. Vic of New York

What! Rush the "Extreme Right Wing Terrorist" backs off (somewhat on SotoMayor?

Hey neo-cons – it looks like your hero is not so stupid as you! I prefer the racist comments myself - bring it on!

Why? Because I plan to go to Arizona and Colorado and New Mexico for the next election, and let all of our Latino voters know what Republiicans really think of them!

June 3, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. Charlie in Maine

Oh damn now you've got me wondering what is wrong with her if that pompus wind-bag says he could support her. Actually I still support her because I have faith in my president.

So if supporting her means Rush and I are on the same side I will just plug my nose to avoid Limbaugh's intellectual stench and stay true to Sotomayor.

June 3, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. jane doe

He calls her a racist, and then says ""I don't know that it will ever happen, but if you know, the opportunity to get somebody like her, she's a Catholic, she's a devout Catholic, she's a Hispanic Catholic, Puerto Rican, they tend to be devout" as a basis for his decision making.

I think Rush may be the stupidest man on earth, and I will never, ever understand why anyone would listen to him, whatever their political views are.

June 3, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  23. craig upland

rush's positions are tubs of lard....

June 3, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  24. worriedfather

worriedmom:
    Hmmm maybe it will make Obama wonder why everyone is being so apologetic all of a sudden. Look I didnt have anything against this woman, because i dont know enough about her to judge. sure wish the LIberals could think that way. I have never in my life seen such hatred and venom from the Left…… Have you people been so miserable all these years? Maybe you need to get a life and enjoy the good things that we do have in life and stop trying to be so hateful to others. You may find if you do that , that you may actually like yourself!
    =========

Uhh.... I think you have it reversed. Can I see your voter registration card? I need to burn it.

June 3, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  25. Angie in Pa

Flip floppers in full force today!

June 3, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |