June 3rd, 2009

Limbaugh ready to support Sotomayor?

Limbaugh could support Sotomayor, but said he still thinks she is a racist.
Limbaugh could support Sotomayor, but said he still thinks she is a racist.

(CNN) - A week after calling Sonia Sotomayor a "racist" in reference to her 2001 "wise Latina" remarks, conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday he's now open to supporting President Obama's Supreme Court nominee.

"I can see a possibility of supporting this nomination if I can be convinced that she does have a sensibility toward life in a legal sense," Limbaugh said on his radio program.

Limbaugh's statement comes the same day former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who himself derided Sotomayor as a "racist" last week, wrote in an op-ed that he regretted his choice of words.

On his show Wednesday, Limbaugh said his potential support of Sotomayor stems from the nominee's unclear stance on abortion coupled with the fact that she is a Catholic.

"I don't know that it will ever happen, but if you know, the opportunity to get somebody like her, she's a Catholic, she's a devout Catholic, she's a Hispanic Catholic, Puerto Rican, they tend to be devout, she hasn't got a record on this. Normally liberals do have a record," Limbaugh said.

But, unlike Gingrich, the conservative talker did not back away from his contention Sotomayor is a racist.

I didn't know why he retracted it," Limabaugh said of Gingrich. "What is it? It's racism, reverse racism, whatever, but it's still racism, and she would bring a form of racism and bigotry to the court. But as I said yesterday, folks, I'm - I'm - I may look past that.

Meanwhile, Obama officials have said the president has not directly asked Sotomayor how she might rule in abortion rights cases, but California Democrat Dianne Feinstein - who met with Sotomayor Tuesday - said that the judge believes strongly in legal precedent.

"I believe she has a real respect for precedent and … if that is really true then I will agree with her, and I believe it is," said Feinstein, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Filed under: Extra • Rush Limbaugh • Sonia Sotomayor • Supreme Court
  1. phoenix86

Be careful Rush, you're in danger of sounding like a republican. You were so entertaining when you were sounding like the typical democrat.

June 3, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Bob Lees

They tend to be devout. Just like fat white guys on the radio tend to be drug addicts I guess.

June 3, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

Someone at CNN needs to teach a class on basic editing and spell check.

So, Rush, what you are basically saying is that in the grand scheme of issues abortion trumps racism?

June 3, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  4. Angie in Pa

VIC IN NY

YOU GO GO!! But I think its too late no latinos will be voting Republican for a Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time to come!

June 3, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  5. John Long

"Which way did they go? I'm their leader!" Funny in general, and inparticular applied now to rush Limbaugh. It appears that the de facto leader of the GOP – in company with Newt gingrinch and Dick Cheney – has just found out he's a has-been.

Most of us wish Limbaugh were a never-had-been.

June 3, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  6. George Arlington, TX.

Rush must be loosing some of his ratings. Along with rating loss $ goes away.

June 3, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  7. TCM

CNN – CENSORED NEWS NETWORK....

OF course, you'll take any opportunity to degrade good conservative, true americans in light of supporting the liberal obama agenda...reckoning day is coming CNN...I can see a day when you'll totally be cut out of the White House press corps;

June 3, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  8. Post always rejected by CNN

Do you think the number l loud mouth had pressure put on him by his sponsors....you know, the ones who pay his salary.

June 3, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  9. single mom

A registered republican June 3rd, 2009 4:12 pm ET
    Somebody needs to stick a pin in this big bag of bad air.

Ah, that would be the sonic boom I just heard.

June 3, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  10. Big Ed

Hey Rush! No one cares what you think! What makes you think you have any credibility let alone any background to formulate an intellegent and educated opinion about a Supreme Court nominee? You can't even keep your own personal lfe in order!

June 3, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  11. patNY

Wait, this doesn't make sense – first Rush blasted Sotomayor for her comment that her background would be important in decision making. Now, with the catholic lightbulb going off in his head, he hopes her catholic upbringing makes her ignore precedent and the law and ultimately rule against Roe v Wade. I think this guy needs a pill again.

June 3, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  12. John

Has anyone here ever heard of the term,
    Malicious Intent and Deflamation of Character. Trust me when I say this. This woman is part of the USA Justice System. Mewt and Rush know what the possibility of civil law suits are. Why do you think these people are retracting what they have said. They have been warned by their party and as for Rush, by the very people who employ him. They are just as libel. Start eating your words Newt and Rush.

June 3, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  13. Right wing "looser"

Translation: My Arbitron numbers are dropping like a stone in predominantly Hispanic markets costing me advertising dollars. Therefore, um, she's a Catholic so she's A-OK by me.

June 3, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Make up your mind Boss Limbaugh. You're the defacto leader of the Republican Party. You can't show any weakness in the eyes of liberals. Stand up to those wussy republican senators and tell them what's on your mind. You already chewed out Steele, McCain, Powell & Specter. What's a couple of swipes at McConnell and Sessions gonna hurt?

June 3, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Limbaugh is just as much a bigot (likely more so) than she and the rest of the country. He hates liberals and those not like him. I know that there are people that I don't like; I just don't certain individuals; groups aren't to be hated. I would like to see these pundits like him and Ann "I'm really a self hating liberal" Coulter run for office and win - then they'll see how hard it is to govern. I could watch them voted out of office after one term.

June 3, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  16. LacrosseMom

WHO CARES what LUSH Limbaugh says?????

To those complaining about Obama's million dollar date, here are some important FACTS for you:

While Bush was in Office, he flew to Crawford, Texas, 77 times.......and the cost???

$226,072 PER TRIP AND...... TOTALING: $17, 407, 544 (that's millions)!

June 3, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  17. James, Phoenix AZ

Oh, wow, I can sleep peacefully tonight. Rush likes Ms. Sotomayor!!

June 3, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  18. Independent Thoughts

This may not be as dumb as some of you think. This could be the turning point in the Leadership of the GOP. Rush has always been a self thinking man. Earlier in the year, when he was considered the "de facto leader" of the GOP, nobody would stand in his way. Now that several Top Republicans made they're opinions, and Rush is close to reverting from his, it may show a major power shift in the Republican Party.

The GOP may not be relevant yet to the country yet, and as many of you point out; most of you absolutely blame the GOP for every problem we have, and will have [even if it's a new problem under Obama!!!], it shows the first steps of the re-organization of the GOP, and a huge power shift of the GOP brass

June 3, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  19. Mike Berry

Why should anybody care what El Blimpo will or will not support or why he will or will not? If he is the current face of the Republican party, they are in deep trouble.

June 3, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  20. Independent Party

Looks like the old fart party didn't want to stir the pot.

June 3, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. Sharon Kitchen

if for any reason rush were to be in her court......she would look past
    HIS raceism...........................

she is by far a much more moral/just/thoughtful/careing individual than

the person called rush could ever hope to be.

June 3, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  22. Kelby In Houston, TX

So, it's okay that she's a racist, as long as there is a possibility that she will overturn Roe v. Wade?!?
    Thank God this man has never been elected to any political office!
    Oh republicans, when will you remove this voice from your chorus of dissonance?
    He is not helping your cause.
    He is not increasing the size of your base.
    He makes you guys look bad...real bad.

None of you are listening to the poeple on the other side. Why do I bother?

June 3, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  23. chris (hartford, ct)

Wow- thank goodness Rush will support her. I'm sure his vote will be needed in the Senate. Wait a minute- he doesn't have an elected office!

June 3, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  24. Steve (the real one)

Angie in Pa June 3rd, 2009 4:16 pm ET
    Flip floppers in full force today!
    ---------------
    Agreed. It's as if were like a Democratic Convention!

June 3, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  25. obama support team

Rush Limbaugh is a straight up RACIST! And deserves to fail in every way. By the way Rush, there is no such thing as "reverse racist". You and Newt might want to look that up because there is no such term. Either you are a racist or not!!! So what's it gonna be??? Just as I thought. as usual, Republican COWARDS!!!!

June 3, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |