June 3rd, 2009

Limbaugh ready to support Sotomayor?

Limbaugh could support Sotomayor, but said he still thinks she is a racist.
Limbaugh could support Sotomayor, but said he still thinks she is a racist.

(CNN) - A week after calling Sonia Sotomayor a "racist" in reference to her 2001 "wise Latina" remarks, conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday he's now open to supporting President Obama's Supreme Court nominee.

"I can see a possibility of supporting this nomination if I can be convinced that she does have a sensibility toward life in a legal sense," Limbaugh said on his radio program.

Limbaugh's statement comes the same day former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who himself derided Sotomayor as a "racist" last week, wrote in an op-ed that he regretted his choice of words.

On his show Wednesday, Limbaugh said his potential support of Sotomayor stems from the nominee's unclear stance on abortion coupled with the fact that she is a Catholic.

"I don't know that it will ever happen, but if you know, the opportunity to get somebody like her, she's a Catholic, she's a devout Catholic, she's a Hispanic Catholic, Puerto Rican, they tend to be devout, she hasn't got a record on this. Normally liberals do have a record," Limbaugh said.

But, unlike Gingrich, the conservative talker did not back away from his contention Sotomayor is a racist.

I didn't know why he retracted it," Limabaugh said of Gingrich. "What is it? It's racism, reverse racism, whatever, but it's still racism, and she would bring a form of racism and bigotry to the court. But as I said yesterday, folks, I'm - I'm - I may look past that.

Meanwhile, Obama officials have said the president has not directly asked Sotomayor how she might rule in abortion rights cases, but California Democrat Dianne Feinstein - who met with Sotomayor Tuesday - said that the judge believes strongly in legal precedent.

"I believe she has a real respect for precedent and … if that is really true then I will agree with her, and I believe it is," said Feinstein, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Filed under: Extra • Rush Limbaugh • Sonia Sotomayor • Supreme Court
  1. pete

I think the Republicans see a backlash from their Latino vote by chastising Sotomayor. Wow hypocits. Latinos, don't fall for this support Dems all the way. They have your best interest.

June 3, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. Republicans are the American Taliban

HEY RUSH!!! You better also change your hatemongering and pandering to the anti-abortion extremists who listen to your show, before one of them runs out and shoots a law abiding doctor....oops...too late. Now I bet you're just an entertainer ...huh?

June 3, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  3. Mike

Maybe he should have waited to see what she was all about beore he want off on her like he did. In other words he made an assumption which we all know what happens when you assume.....

June 3, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  4. Peter

Wow....Mr. Limbaugh, an endorsement of Sotomayor would prove to me that you aren't as crazy as I thought. I'd still think your crazy, but not to the extent which I once believed.

June 3, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. sbp

"Why is there fear behind your eyes?"
    The Princess Bride

June 3, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  6. Republicans= Party of NO (with no solution)

I'm sure they'll come up with something else to disagree on. This is the same man who supported 'Barack, the magic negro' song and a bunch of other racist, nasty things.

The Repugs are a joke... a sad joke.

June 3, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. MR

I'm sure Judge Sotomayor will sleep better tonight given Rush thinks he might be able to support her.... who cares??? Last I checked he didn't have a vote. The only good thing about this is maybe the Repubs are finally finding their "intestinal fortitude" and are going to stand up to Rush and Newt... He hasn't trashed those who criticized him this week for his words... progress!!!

June 3, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  8. Kurt

Keep talking Rush! Go, go! There won't be any moderates or liberals left or anyone that disagrees with you. Hello Whig party!

June 3, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  9. Alex from DC

She probably does have "a sensibility toward life in a legal sense": as a Catholic, she should be against the death penalty.

June 3, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. Jon

Her comments were still racist.

June 3, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  11. John in Massachsetts

The reason for the backtracks is there's a reasonable chance she may end up a pretty moderate justice. She's catholic and she's made it on her own despite a poor upbringing. I'm betting there's a lot of Libertainian in her. And she's not a lock on the abortion issue, especially once she becomes a judge and is beholding to no one.

June 3, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  12. Tom Paine

Sotomayor could be on the Supreme Court – making decisions that could affect 300 million Americans for generations – and CNN is still talking about Rush Limbaugh?

The focus should be Sotomayor – what are her qualifications and belief system? Can she ever get beyond her ethnicity and gender? Someone with guts on the Judiciary Committee should find out.

June 3, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  13. JT

Where's Pat Buchanan's and Lindsey Graham's apology for their r@cial comments about Sotomayor?

June 3, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  14. jm for sc

Who cares if Rush supports anyone or not? First of all, this is just another republican trick. He was probably asked to cool it for a little while because he is really destroying any chance of survival for the party.

Awsome response Carlo

June 3, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  15. T in the Big D

Dang Rush..just say you're SORRY and was WRONG for once! Must be off your meds again! Besides that, since you DO NOT hold ANY position in the GOP I take you for who you are...an ENTERTAINER..the Howard Stern of the GOP!

June 3, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  16. Gary

I wonder who made Rush decide to kiss the ring. He certainly has no respect for Republican leaders in Congress. His timing, alongside with Gingrich's, is telling. Neither Boehner nor McConnell nor Steele have been able to reel him in. I find myself wondering if he got a call from Dick Cheney or George W. Bush.

June 3, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  17. skyhawkdriver

The fact that so many people write on here only goes to show that lumblubber is unfortunatly the most widely listened to talk show host in america..more than cnn,fox,hannity.etc..the fact that he is a controversial buffoon makes him millions of dollars..we continue to listen to the likes of pelosi,reid,feinstein,kennedy,kerry and think these people care about us when all they care about is getting reelected and all the perks that go along with it...but if rush tells us things like that..or that obumbler has gone on another great apology tour we talk trash about him..I also hate to admit it but a lot of the time the idiot is right..it is just that a lot of us would never admit it

June 3, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. cjr

why don't we stop reading this stuff about the little fat boy! If no one read it and CNN and others stop printing it. he would just fold his tent and go away. After all, who listens to him anyway? No one I know for sure!

June 3, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  19. Dave - motorcycle enthusiast

I just don't understand and will not forgive. One cannot rant and rave and press their point for days, all the time infecting peoples minds with their crud and ridicule and then step back and recant as though it's no big deal and I really didn't mean it. WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY HERE – WHERE ARE THESE FAMILY VALUES? These men need a 12 step program to handle their hate and anger. This is an apology of convinience and nothing more. There is no sincerity in this – it's about money and sponsorships. These are dangerous men for the weak of mind and those willing to blindly follow.

June 3, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  20. Tomas E

Wow, someone is getting these "radical rightwingers" to toes the "new republican talking points". Amazing. Amazing. Soon they'll be turning water into wine or healing the lepers!

June 3, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  21. ED

If the Republicans need the likes of GINGRICH and LIMBAUGH to carry the word of the party the're more dead than I thought

June 3, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. t-joint

Whoa, careful there, Rush-o. With flippy-floppy rhetoric like this you might find yourself being attacked... in the mirror!

June 3, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. j

I wonder if Limbaugh and Gingrich have ever heard the saying, "You can't unring the bell." Backtracking only reinforces the original statement in the mind of the listener -

June 3, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. Squigman

Here's the enemy of our nation. This pig, and the party he runs (if only by proxy), are the enemy of all free thinking, and peace loving people. It is my hope that some day our nation wakes up to what this "poor example of a human being" has done, and demands that he, and the rest of his kind are held accountable.

June 3, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. pete peterson

Typical Limbaugh. I guess the Republic Party told him and Newt to shut up, and now they both are falling in line like good soldiers. Oops. That was my mistake. They never were in the service, were they? Chickenhawks. All wind, no substance.

June 3, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |