June 3rd, 2009

Limbaugh ready to support Sotomayor?

Limbaugh could support Sotomayor, but said he still thinks she is a racist.
Limbaugh could support Sotomayor, but said he still thinks she is a racist.

(CNN) - A week after calling Sonia Sotomayor a "racist" in reference to her 2001 "wise Latina" remarks, conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday he's now open to supporting President Obama's Supreme Court nominee.

"I can see a possibility of supporting this nomination if I can be convinced that she does have a sensibility toward life in a legal sense," Limbaugh said on his radio program.

Limbaugh's statement comes the same day former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who himself derided Sotomayor as a "racist" last week, wrote in an op-ed that he regretted his choice of words.

On his show Wednesday, Limbaugh said his potential support of Sotomayor stems from the nominee's unclear stance on abortion coupled with the fact that she is a Catholic.

"I don't know that it will ever happen, but if you know, the opportunity to get somebody like her, she's a Catholic, she's a devout Catholic, she's a Hispanic Catholic, Puerto Rican, they tend to be devout, she hasn't got a record on this. Normally liberals do have a record," Limbaugh said.

But, unlike Gingrich, the conservative talker did not back away from his contention Sotomayor is a racist.

I didn't know why he retracted it," Limabaugh said of Gingrich. "What is it? It's racism, reverse racism, whatever, but it's still racism, and she would bring a form of racism and bigotry to the court. But as I said yesterday, folks, I'm - I'm - I may look past that.

Meanwhile, Obama officials have said the president has not directly asked Sotomayor how she might rule in abortion rights cases, but California Democrat Dianne Feinstein - who met with Sotomayor Tuesday - said that the judge believes strongly in legal precedent.

"I believe she has a real respect for precedent and … if that is really true then I will agree with her, and I believe it is," said Feinstein, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Filed under: Extra • Rush Limbaugh • Sonia Sotomayor • Supreme Court
  1. Matt

June 3, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  2. Old Veteran

Rush Limbaugh is so quick to label someone a racist. I guess he can easily identify one- he see a racist every time looks inthe mirror.
    People like him and his shallow views is why we will never be rid of racism inthis country.

June 3, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. Michael Bindner

They are trying to do to Sotomayor what liberals did to Meirs, because the left will think twice if their enemies endorse their pick.

I think Obama has more spine than to fall for it, at least I hope he does.

June 3, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. Bubba

TripleA, I think you can relax about ACORN now, okay buddy? One of these days, go down to the voter registration place and tell them you name is Hugh Jass, and you want to register to vote. See that look they gave you? Now imagine that you are a teenager with a book full of hundreds of names, and half of them say 'Bart Simpson' or 'Mickey Mouse.' Imagine the look, and that's why we know about voter fraud by ACORN; it amounted to people who needed money being paid a nickel per name.
    There might have been massive voter fraud, but not from amateurs like ACORN. Talk to the Russian mob, or Diebold.

June 3, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. Jefe

Rush, if you're reading, I'm a Catholic as well. I'm personally against abortion, but I don't think its the federal government's business to decide whether or not people can make the choice for themselves. I also believe that if you want to teach Creationism is public schools, you need to teach Satanism as well.

I guess the difference between you and me is, I'm an American, and you are a Constitution-hating, drug-addicted, anti-American, media-channel terrorist.

June 3, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  6. Walter

Last time I checked, radio blowhards don't get to vote in the U.S. Senate.

So who cares whether or not Rush supports Judge Sotomayor? The guy is one of his party's worst representatives anyway. With him as an enemy, the President and his nominee don't need many friends.

June 3, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. David

Lot's of back-peddling on this issue today. I'm fully convinced that if Obama had nominated Jesus Christ incarnate for the Supreme Court seat, many in the GOP would have objected. "What about the day he turned over the tables of the money-changers in the Temple! Clearly, he lacks the even temperment to be a Supreme Court Justice. We can't have justices basing decisions on anger rather than sound judicial principles."

June 3, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  8. Valsie

Rush is a three x's married three x's divorcee, who has been let go "fired" from previous jobs for sexist and racist commentary. Republicans can have him! Idiots

June 3, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. Denise

Too bad Sotomayor wasn't the presiding judge during Rush's numerous courtroom "appearances". Perhaps she would have sentenced him up the river without a key as he had been prescribing for "them, there, others" in his same predicament over the years. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

I don't watch much cable, although occasionally I'll watch FOX if Comedy Central is airing reruns. I can't watch Keith on MSNBC either. The pop up of Rush doing jumping jacks in a Johnny Cash knockoff suit in the lower right hand corner of the screen is one image I can do without, especially right after dinner!

June 3, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. WhoCares?

In what crazy dysfunctional world does a Judge need the "approval" of a shock jock?

Good Lord. He has to be the single most arrogant human being on this planet.

June 3, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. pete peterson

Mr. Right, now knows he is WRONG.

June 3, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  12. P. Y.

@ worried mom

Yes, we have been miserable for the past 8 years. We watched the Bush administration destroy our country and actually destroy our image world wide. We had to hear daily of our men and women dying in a country that we declared war on FOR NOTHING. They were never a threat to us. We also had to feel the responsiblity for our government being responsible for all the deaths of thousands of the Iraqi people and for the misery we caused them as well as the thousands of our men and women who have been injured due to this war . I always felt physically sick when ever I saw G. Bush on TV trying to convince us that everything he was doing was right.

June 3, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  13. Spell check mess

"Limabaugh said of Gingrich"

Good job fixing the first two typos, how about getting the guys name right.

Or is this the correct way, and the rest are wrong?

June 3, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. They're Bluffing!

Let Newt & Rush do the talking for the GOP and digging the party's grave by alienating the huge number of Hispanics and other minorities who understand the intention behind the mean words. I wonder if those two are the first ones blaming the Hispanics for everything that goes wrong in America. They are ignorant, big mouths and plainly STUPID!

June 3, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  15. dem1

And thus, Rush's status as Republican leader is no longer. Someone got to him and convinced him to change his mind. Someone got to Newt too.

Rush and Newt don't have the capacity to back away from their statements. Especially in unison. Someone is pulling their strings...

Who's behind the scenes on this one?

June 3, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  16. Anne E.

The only racists around here are Gingrich and this blowhard, but that was a foregone conclusion.

The more important point is: WHO CARES WHAT THIS GOON THINKS?? His talk of "supporting" this nomination? There's a term for that - it's called "delusions of grandeur."

June 3, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  17. JT

@Matt said "This is a big day. A very big day. This may be the beginning of the turnaround of the Republican Party."

Riiight, Look who you are dealing with & Don't hold your breath.

June 3, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  18. DX in TX

Hell has frozen over...too bad...NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK MR. LIMPBURGER.

Even his support sounds back handed. I almost fell for the Gingrich retraction , but I find it odd that both Rush & Newt chose to do the same thing on the same day....they must be up to something.

Obama/Biden
    2008/2012

June 3, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  19. Chad

I bet Judge Sotomayor is so relieved that she may get the support of Rush. I bet she has been wrecked with dispair wondering if he would come to her support...sleepless nights I tell you.

Really? Why are we still talking about this...60 dems=comfirmation! This is such a media story only...Dems don't seem to be sweating nor should they. I hope she has a long and proud career!

June 3, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  20. Alex

I don't support Rush on everything, but I was listening today and CNN is clearly taking him out of context as usual.

June 3, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  21. tn mom

Why do we even have/ need this abortion litmus test? That one issue seems to always be what concerns everyone when a new justice is chosen. It is legal. It has been for 37 years. Conservatives need to get over it. If you aren't pro-choice, then fine, but don't tell others what they should do or believe!

June 3, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  22. Fooled You!

Rush was pulling your leg–and you fell for it! When will the liberal media learn that Rush is 90% entertainment?

June 3, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  23. tim

did the speaker of the gop approve rush's comments??

June 3, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  24. thetruthisoutthere

who cares what this hog-jowled airbag thinks about any thing? quit treating his every statement as news...

June 3, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  25. LacrosseMom

@Tim........ I wrote a response to your "response" to me. But CNN did not post it. So I will just say, that Sotomayor is no more a racist than I am!

I too, am a Latina, and my experiences as a minority in our Nation, has formed me, as we all are formed by our life's experiences.

However someone who grew up in white in a white-middle-class-suburban neighborhood, does not quite understand the plight of those who grew up poor,or Black or Asian, or in a Ghetto,or Latino. The experience of a tough life, or a poor upbringing changes you. Makes one more able to understand the plight of the less fortunate, of those who are poor, minorities, ...... different.

Its not, Tim, that I am better because of the "richness of my experience" (as Sotomayor said) but that I am different and therefore, more willing and able to see through the 'eyes' of those who are less fortunate. And I can not, comprehend the life of those who are wealthy, or who are men. For I have never been a man, nor wealthy. Its not ....... racism........ Tim, it is what it is.

Peace.