June 3rd, 2009

Spokesman: Obama aims to 'candidly' address issues in Cairo

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (CNN) - President Barack Obama will speak "candidly" on a number of issues Thursday when he addresses a mostly Muslim audience in Cairo, Egypt, an administration speechwriter said.

Obama, who arrived in Saudi Arabia on Wednesday on the first leg of a visit to Middle Eastern and European nations, will take on some of the
misconceptions held by Americans and Muslims and acknowledge the need for both sides to know each other better, Ben Rhodes said.

The president still is working on the final text of his highly anticipated speech in Cairo, Rhodes added.

Some of the issues to be addressed are: violent extremism, the Pakistani fight against the Taliban and dangers at the Pakistani-Afghan border.

He also will discuss the Israeli-Palestinian plight, with the understanding that this has been a source of tension and passion throughout the
world, the speechwriter said.

Filed under: Middle East • President Obama • Uncategorized
  1. Jefe

This is pure lunacy. After 8 years of international relations successes, we now know that "bomb now, lie later" is the only policy that works. Well, at least thats what some of the AM-radio anti-American infiltrators posing as Republicans would have us believe.

June 3, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  2. Tim

Really, by that does he mean that he will insist that these countries stop formenting hate for America in their daily teachings, or does he mean that he will candidly address America's shortcomings?

It would be nice if he would address the US Marine who was shot and killed by a muslim terrorist in the US the other day in front of the crowd, and use it as an example of what needs to stop.

June 3, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. Tim

Will he address the Palestinian need to stop the hatred (not incitement as he likes to say) of the Israeli nation. My guess is he will fall far short of talking candidly to those he is addressing. He is naive and has a huge ego as he thinks he can overcome all with hope and change.

June 3, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  4. Polly

I hope his teleprompter does not act up.

June 3, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  5. Lynn

Why can't the media and Americans just wait to hear the speech. Already this cut and paste, speculation and tidbits are putting a bias on the speech itself just like taking quites out of context biased the public's introduction to Jude Sotomayor.

CNN continues to fail to emphasis that the peace initiative is being spearheaded by the Saudis and the Egyptians.
    '

June 3, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. Dallas Independent - thank goodness

I just can't wait to hear how many time Hussein Obama apologizes for the U.S., AGAIN.

June 3, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  7. cheryl brooks

May Allah bless The President in his very thoughtful efforts, however you must have team players... so us dumb people will see who is actually is a team player... Good Luck to all of you.

June 3, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. I don't have a passport (i.e. Republican Attack Mode)

I hate Muslims because I fear them.
    I hate gays because I fear them.
    I hate non-whites because I fear them
    I hate non-Christians because I fear them.
    I hate all other languages because I can't speak them.
    America is the center of the world.
    Jesus was an American.