June 4th, 2009

First family to gather in Paris

The Obamas will spend the weekend together as a family in Paris before the president returns to Washington.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Obama will be joined by the first lady and the couple's two daughters in Paris Friday as he winds down his latest overseas trip.

While the president will return to Washington Sunday, 10-year-old Malia and 7-year-old Sasha will stay in France with their mother for a few days next week, CNN has confirmed.

The first lady will have a public event in Normandy, France on Saturday.

The rest of the first family's itinerary while sightseeing in France will be private, according to the first lady's office.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Obama family • President Obama
  1. Pepou

I am glad that Michelle and the girls are going to visit my hometown.

June 4, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  2. TEXAS TAMI

YES!!! Yess!!! Something else for the Republicans to whine about....I LOVE IT!!

June 4, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  3. Allen

Wonder how much this is going to cost the middle class taxpayers?

June 4, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  4. Independent Voter

a beautiful family enjoying a beautiful city....doesn't get any better than that!!

God Bless President Obama, VP Biden, the First Families and "Bo"

June 4, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. LacrosseMom

Oh boy........ more fodder for the GOP's criticism of the First Family!!
    I hope Mrs. Obama and her lovely girls will have a wonderful time! God bless you!

And to all the GOPers who will start posting critical comments I say.......

George W. Bush traveled 77 times to his ranch in Crawford, Texas, each trip cost .......... $226,072. The total for the 77 trips:

$17, 407, 544 Million. All presidents and their families travel the world, its part of the "job" of representing the United States of America.

June 4, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. Pa Santigie

As wonderful as this may seem, there will be someone out there griping about it.

June 4, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  7. Paul from Phoenix

"I reject the view of some in the West that a woman who chooses to cover her hair is somehow less equal, but I do believe that a woman who is denied an education is denied equality," President Obama said.

Um, all you liberal feminists out there...did you miss this quote? If a GOP member had said this, NOW would have gone berzerk, calling it insensitive and saying that many women in the Middle East do not "choose" to cover their hair, they do so out of fear of stoning.

I don't even know what to say about this comment, and every woman in America should demand to know if this comment means that Obama will be using woman's rights as political chips to be traded for any agreement reached.

June 4, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. Kimberly

That is awesome! They will have such a great time there, and the fact that the first lady is doing work while there is so good for our country. She is like a rocl star and loved so much, I am so proud of her...

June 4, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  9. Dallas Independent - thank goodness

Oh brother, more taxpayers' money at work. This family is really getting under my skin! With people out of jobs, and pending increases in taxes for us lurking in the near future to pay back this man's big spending ideas, this family takes a Parisian vacation! Wouldn't we all like one?

June 4, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  10. rainbowgirl

This is wonderful–I hope they have a blast! CNN, why did you not give us the opportunity to comment on the Sarah Palin article? If you had, I would have commented that she still cannot put a coherent sentence together.

June 4, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. Marc in Virginia

Enjoy the rest of your vacation, Mr. President.

June 4, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  12. Shirley In California Now On The Fence Re Obama

Private sounds good to me. Personally, I don't care what they do in Paris.

June 4, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. Jon in CA

Valentines Dinner in Chicago...

Dinner and Play in NYC....

Family trip to Paris.....

Gee, glad the American taxpayer can fund their glamorous lifestyle. It's not like we're having any financial problems or anything in this country.

VIVA LA SOCIALISM!!

June 4, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  14. "Reality King" ... whatever....

Hmmm...

i 'really' expected more of CNN. The fact the article never mentions that the President of the United States will be speaking at ceremonies comemorating WWII events is troubling as it seems you purposely lead people to believe he is stopping in France to shop and eat.

C'mon CNN. we REALLY DON'T need another Fox.

June 4, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  15. TM in CO

Wow. We are having an economic breakdown and you have the nerve to fly to Paris France for 1 public event and then sightseeing "for a few days" at the taxpayer's expense? I cannot even afford to take a vacation to the next town over because of the economy. Please tell me why on God's green earth does the First Family get to travel and I get to help foot the bill? I voted for this man because I honestly believed he cared about the economic state of our nation and would lead by example. Yea Right!!

June 4, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. rachel

Nice. Wish I could afford to go to Paris, well its on my things to do before I die list lol.

June 4, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  17. AUSTIN,TX

The right wing nut jobs are so jealous of the Obama's, they can't stand it. Have a wonderful vacation Obamas.

June 4, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  18. Rick CT

Anyone notice that the price of crude oil has now about doubled since Obama took office. No wonder his speech is receiving a positive reaction in the Arab world.

June 4, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  19. anni

Let me check if I have this correct – the Republicans think it is ok to spend taxpayer money for Bush to take more vacations than any other President to clear brush at the ranch he no longer lives at in Texas, but it is not appropriate for Obama to take his wife on a date or his children on a nice vacation.

I'll stick with President Obama's values.

June 4, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Have a safe trip.

June 4, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  21. New Age Democrat

I've no problem with providing for the safety of our President and his family. This goes for any of our past presidents, as long as they don't abuse the privilege. However, perhaps spending "OUR" money in the United States would be more prudent in these economic times?

June 4, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  22. CAMI - AM I STILL IN MODERATION????

I'm happy for the girls and Michelle is an excellent ambassador for our country.

For those of you who are going to complain about the cost of flying them over there, G.W. Bush read 186 books in his last 3 years in office. That equates to a minimum of 1 book a week! I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I doubt he is a speed reader. So, between the 77 trips to his ranch (not counting the additional trips to Camp David and Kennebunkport) to clear brush, and the many hours spent reading, just remember that we were paying him while he was doing these things instead of working for us.

I wonder what any of my bosses would have said if I had brought a book to read while at work. I doubt I would have been collecting a paycheck at the end of the week. :)

June 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  23. arithmetic is liberal

Jon in CA June 4th, 2009 3:59 pm ET

Valentines Dinner in Chicago…
    Dinner and Play in NYC….
    Family trip to Paris…..
    VIVA LA SOCIALISM!!

You're right Jon, only white presidents get to spend extravagently like Nancy's $200,000 -in 1981 dollars- china set. You puh-poo Obama for giving the Queen an iPod, saying its not grand enough, and then turn around and say this.

You know what, Jon in CA? Do us all a favor. Unscrew your head, and in its place please install a 13" television that only receives Fox News. It would be an improvement.

June 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  24. According to the first lady....

Michelle and daughters Malia and Sasha on a private sightseeing tour in France for a few day is an expense private and payable by the Obamas" ......Watch America you cannot support freeloaders even if it is the first family......."""""""'===========

June 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  25. LacrosseMom

@ "Reality King" whatever....... So true! CNN, please be careful ....... we do not want to have to switch to MSNBC.

ONE Faux News station is enough!

June 4, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |