June 4th, 2009

First family to gather in Paris

The Obamas will spend the weekend together as a family in Paris before the president returns to Washington.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Obama will be joined by the first lady and the couple's two daughters in Paris Friday as he winds down his latest overseas trip.

While the president will return to Washington Sunday, 10-year-old Malia and 7-year-old Sasha will stay in France with their mother for a few days next week, CNN has confirmed.

The first lady will have a public event in Normandy, France on Saturday.

The rest of the first family's itinerary while sightseeing in France will be private, according to the first lady's office.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Obama family • President Obama
  1. REGGAE

This is too much for the Republicans to handle....ha ha ha!!!

June 4, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. CAMI - AM I STILL IN MODERATION????

@ Jon in CA who said:

Valentines Dinner in Chicago…

Dinner and Play in NYC….

Family trip to Paris…..

Gee, glad the American taxpayer can fund their glamorous lifestyle. It's not like we're having any financial problems or anything in this country.

VIVA LA SOCIALISM!!

No, Viva a man who doesn't forget that he is also still a husband and a father. VIVA FAMILY VALUES!!!

June 4, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  3. Oregonian

Another opportunity to pounce on President Obama CNN; you're starting to resemble FOX.

June 4, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  4. Lisa, Laughlin NV

Wait just a cotton pickin minute here...as part owner of GM and other bailed out taxpayer funded expenditures, I demand to get to go on a vacation to Paris. I want to travel with my children and mother and fly upon a private jet and stay in the best accomendations. We all know that isn't likely to happen.

Just for the record, I am not a dem nor a repub so I am not not whining. I am simply a middle of the road taxpayer who is sick to death of hearing about all the luxuries the Obamas are indulging in. He was the one who said and I quote..."We ALL must make sacrificies....somehow having Earth Wind and Fire come and perform for you and spend thousands to see a play and have dinner and to fly to Paris for a few days. (why didn't Michelle go with him now to save on the extra plane)? I say practice what you preach!!!!

June 4, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  5. Mich

Mr. spend this ,and spend that. WAKE UP people he is going to drive your country to the poor house. But I guess the joke is on me to I voted for him. I WILL NEVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN.

June 4, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. Mich

And keep him away from D DAY before he says were sorry for killing so many germans.

June 4, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  7. Cynthia

You stupid morons that's critizing the President and the first family need to shut the hell up!!. All first familes travel around the country, you didn't seem to complain when the clintons took chelsea with them around the world, and I'm not bashing the clintons, it's just the President can't do one darn thing without you idiots complaining.

ENJOY MR PRESIDENT AND FIRST FAMILY YOUR PARIS VACATION!!

June 4, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  8. Jake

at least the day of "FREEDOM FRIES" is long gone...boy was THAT a joke!

June 4, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  9. sharper

Like Pelosi said, every expense at taxpayers' money must be opened to public. Let's do it for all current and former presidents. Let's compare who spend the most for vacation!!

June 4, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  10. munchmom

More money wasted....are we surprised???

June 4, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Hardlaborer

I believe the taxes me and a few of my friends will pay over our lifetimes can cover the vacation portion of this trip. Consider it gladly paid for. He's the President. Michelle is First Lady. Live with it.

June 4, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. The Broker.

Lebanon, will be Poland this time around. But instead of five years: You will have 25yrs.

CNN lost the the Battle, America lost it's Country.....

June 4, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  13. geecee

Never any complaints from the Rethugs about how much money Bush wasted traveling on his "vacations" while he was in office. Obama gets slammed for going to NYC to see a play. Wow, such hypocrites. At least when Obama and his family travel, he gets diplomacy accomplished at the same time. Too bad he angers the haters out there because he has so much charm and presence wherever he goes. He knows how to speak to a crowd, that's for sure. We should be very proud of him and Michelle, indeed.

June 4, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. matt

Maybe the French will throw french fries at him when he says something stupid like blame America for the liberations of France

June 4, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. Ming

He used to be proud of his Christian faith, as a regular church-goer, caring for the suffering of American people, right now.

June 4, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. S Callahan

I try not to be too critical of our President..but it has disturbed me since yesterday that he accepted the 'huge GOLD necklace..or whatever one calls it'...somehow it just smacks hyprocrisy to all those who just lost their jobs, their homes, are being forced to apply for food stamps just to feed their people. Maybe it would have been best to not publicze it. Now, off to Paris..when alot of families can't get enough gas to make it to the next town. I understand the office holds it's own spoils...but come on'...have some grace to those suffering.

June 4, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  17. grreen

Say family values.....Yes!

June 4, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. CAT

Hopefully the Republicans will get an uler because of this!!

June 4, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. right-wing = terrorists

@ Paul from Pheonix

Uhhhh . . . I consider myself a feminist and there is absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. Please stop the ignorant comments . . . please.

June 4, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  20. Irene

The GOP may use "family values" as their justification for bigotry (aka gay marriage) but the Democrats know how to live it. When did Bush ever show this kind of affection for his family? It's amazing how the GOP kids get pregnant out of marriage, get busted for underage drinking, etc... and the Dem kids are focused on education and service to community. It's a sham that the GOP thinks they have the moral authority in this country and another reason why they can never control again.

June 4, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. New Age Democrat

LacrosseMom, Reality King

Not sure how your remarks are even relevant. CNN and MSNBC have continued to deliver their own slant in favor of Democrats. This is a fact that I cannot even deny. MSNBC so much so that I'd swear they were sleeping with the Persident's relatives or something. I can barely bring myself to watch NBC in any form anymore.

I often find information on Fox that I have to really dig for on CNN. Sure the information is usually not so kind to Democrats, but I'd rather make an informed opinion, than just a biased one. At least I can be honest about it.

June 4, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  22. Jay in Virginia beach va

This is to funny, as many vacations George Bush took as president they are complaining about the Obama's meeting up in France.

People are so bitter (yes I said bitter) about their lives they will find anything to complain about, lol

June 4, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. Arlene

Do you all realize that the only reason we know about every single move the Obama's make is because of the 24/7 news cycle and the fact that the media loves them.

President Bush traveled so much more (taking vacations) then President Obama, it just ridiculus to be complaining about this.

Please quit trying to apply the BAU, lousy DOUBLE STANDARD to THIS First Family. You wonder why Black folks see racism in everything? Well, here's a perfect example. And don't tell me it's really because of the economy. Not after Bush spent money on the Iraq war like a drunken sailor for the past 8 years. (With no consequences at all, I might add.)

Frankly, as much as I like the President, I wish the media would report on him a little less. That way, we wouldn't know everytime he coughs, sneezes, laughs or smiles... I mean, I knew there was going to be the FISH BOWL affect for DAMN....

June 4, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  24. Jeff in Virginia

the right-wing blind frothing hate that is in these comments is very disturbing. how do you people look yourself in the mirror?

June 4, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  25. Latina for Obama

Enjoy!! you deserve it!

And thank you for representing the American family.
    May God bless you.