June 4th, 2009

Palin: Government wants to 'control the people'

Sarah Palin spoke in Anchorage on Wednesday.
Sarah Palin spoke in Anchorage on Wednesday.

(CNN) – Alaska governor Sarah Palin let loose Wednesday on the Obama administration for enacting fiscal policies that "fly in the face of principles" and "defy Economics 101."

In a speech introducing Michael Reagan - the son of former President Ronald Reagan - to an audience in Anchorage, Palin warned that the government is planning to "bail out debt ridden states" so it can "get in there and control the people."

"Since when can you get out of huge national debt by creating trillions of dollars of new debt?" Palin asked. "It all really is so backwards and skewed as to sound like absolute nonsense when some of this economic policy is explained."

"We need to be aware of the creation of a fearful population, and fearful lawmakers, being led to believe that big government is the answer, to bail out the private sector, because then government gets to get in there and control it," she said. "And mark my words, this is going to be next, I fear, bail out next debt-ridden states. Then government gets to get in there and control the people."

"Some in Washington would approach our economic woes in ways that absolutely defy Economics 101, and they fly in the face of principles, providing opportunity for industrious Americans to succeed or to fail on their own accord," she said. "Those principles it makes you wonder what the heck some in Washington are trying to accomplish here."

Though the bulk of her remarks focused on government encroachment into the private sector, and praise for former President Reagan's views on limited government, the former vice presidential candidate briefly touched on national security. She told the crowd that "the terrorists are still dead set against us" and that her son Track is still deployed in Iraq.

"It is war over there, so it will not be war over here," she said. "And it had better still be our mission that we win, they lose."

She also pointed to the recent dismissal of another ethics complaint against her, one that accused the governor of having a conflict of interest for wearing a jacket to the opening of the Tesoro Iron Dog race in February that feautured the logo of the sponsor of her husband's team. Palin has been forced to set up a legal defense fund to help pay for fees related to an onslaught of ethic complaints.

Palin said of the people who have filed the complaints: "Those are the folks who want to tell me, they want to tell you, to sit down and shut up. We will not do that. I just can't, because I love my state. I love my country."

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Rush Rove Cheney

I see that the terrorists are still not in Alaska....and why would they be?

Palin has nothing to offer. As the GOP did for 8 years.

She thinks the government wants to control the people???? Where was this broad during the Bush admin. abuse of power and wrecking citizens rights. What an idiot.

Go have some moosemeat

June 4, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. Peter E

Palin, and all these governors running for president are all hypocrites. They talk about how fiscally conservative they are and how they'd reject millions of dollars in stimulus money. But not one of them rejected more than 5% of the stimulus money going to their state! If they're so responsible, if they're so fiscally conservative, they'd have rejected all of that money! They are all talk, but no action! They're fake conservatives, nothing more!

June 4, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. JT

If she's no shootin' moose from helicopters, vistin' turkey slaughter mills, klan rally-in', incitin' – you know she's out spewin' something completely off the wall.

Why is this even a ticker item, CNN?

June 4, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. reb

Idiot speech. Unbelievably ignorant, yet more unbelievable to be from a governor! In case you forgot, Sarah Palin, we are still in serious economic depression. Are you really thinking about Alaskan people or just for yourself?

People in Alaska, I trust you not to be fooled again by this shallow minded idiot in the next election.

June 4, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  5. TEXAS TAMI

Why is this woman still in the NEWS?????

June 4, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  6. patNY

Yet, she has no problem accepting billions of dollars from Washington representing almost a third of her state's economy!

June 4, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  7. elliott

Like it or not.....Palin is RIGHT. Deal with it Lefties...

June 4, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  8. Luke

Yep, and your Republican Party of late seems to be doing there best to do just that.

June 4, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  9. Julia Byrd- Hayden Idaho

and she has a degree in economics? I thought she had a degree from Barbie State College in "how to make a fool of yourself everytime you open your mouth" in Dumbsville, USA

June 4, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  10. ETM

Sarah Palin–still a no-nothing nincompoop trying to inflame the deluded passions of the extreme right. Let's hope she goes back to looking for Putin's "rearing head" and shuts up.

June 4, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. sifto77

I love to hear the common sense statements from this smart lady.. she is as tough and loyal to her country as they come–and she scares the lefties (especially liberal women) to death.

June 4, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  12. patNY

---
    Hmmm....wasn't that the Reagan plan? He said, the defecit don't matter because the resulting economic growth will pull us out of debt.

June 4, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. Liberty

That's right Sarah, they're ALL out to get you!

June 4, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  14. confused

I think the government already controls us Palin. This is why we have laws and processes.

Ok, I want to sale water ice on the corner – can I do it, or do I need government approval? How about water on the corner? Do I have to provide this information to the IRS and be taxed on it? I want to buy a car – Ok I need insurance, car registration, license. Government control Mrs. Palin.

June 4, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  15. Dale

Now she is an expert on economics. She must be able to understand macroeconomics because she did her own taxes once. Just like seeing Russia from Alaska makes her an expert on international diplomacy.

June 4, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  16. Right Wing Fringe

Big govt came under Bush. Palin, you have no credibility...go back to pallin' around with turkeys.

June 4, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  17. MJ

So maybe if everyone stops wishing for Palin to sit down and shut up, and asking her to sit down and shut up, maybe she'll finally realize that no one cares about her and will finally sit down and shut the hell up.

June 4, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  18. gb

Economics 101 –
    MMmmm, now how many economics courses did Sarah Palin take in college?

June 4, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  19. KMAN

"We need to be aware of the creation of a fearful population"

I agree Sarah, now remove yourself from the national stage and a greatful nation will breathe easier and our fear will be gone.

June 4, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  20. Ariana

Economics 101????? Please don't tell me this woman is talking about college courses now! If anything she needs to go back to elementary school history and english, not to mention Speech and Communications 100. She's so useless, she makes Bush look bright.

June 4, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  21. joe dokes

Palin's comments are the height of hypocrisy! Her greedy little hand was ALWAYS out when there were government dollars allocated to the states and she certainly had no problem sending it. Practice what you preach, lady.

June 4, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  22. Jon

Economics 101? Sarah Palin needs to take 1st grade courses and pass before she can be lecturing about economics. Comments like these from a person who cannot name a newspaper are without merit.

June 4, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  23. Jo Anne Weathers - Colonia, N.J.

Would she PLEASE crawl back into the Alaskan wilds and shoot
    wolves, bears, or something??
    We do not need her decisive opinions at this time in our history.
    Unite and Rebuild should be the order of the day.

June 4, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  24. Garofulaar

How does Palin think she has the right to lecture on anything 101? She is not capable of contributing to the discussion of America's economic challenges.

June 4, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  25. MrManhattan

I would be very curious to know if Sarah Palin ever took "Economics 101".

June 4, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |