June 4th, 2009

Palin: Government wants to 'control the people'

Sarah Palin spoke in Anchorage on Wednesday.
Sarah Palin spoke in Anchorage on Wednesday.

(CNN) – Alaska governor Sarah Palin let loose Wednesday on the Obama administration for enacting fiscal policies that "fly in the face of principles" and "defy Economics 101."

In a speech introducing Michael Reagan - the son of former President Ronald Reagan - to an audience in Anchorage, Palin warned that the government is planning to "bail out debt ridden states" so it can "get in there and control the people."

"Since when can you get out of huge national debt by creating trillions of dollars of new debt?" Palin asked. "It all really is so backwards and skewed as to sound like absolute nonsense when some of this economic policy is explained."

"We need to be aware of the creation of a fearful population, and fearful lawmakers, being led to believe that big government is the answer, to bail out the private sector, because then government gets to get in there and control it," she said. "And mark my words, this is going to be next, I fear, bail out next debt-ridden states. Then government gets to get in there and control the people."

"Some in Washington would approach our economic woes in ways that absolutely defy Economics 101, and they fly in the face of principles, providing opportunity for industrious Americans to succeed or to fail on their own accord," she said. "Those principles it makes you wonder what the heck some in Washington are trying to accomplish here."

Though the bulk of her remarks focused on government encroachment into the private sector, and praise for former President Reagan's views on limited government, the former vice presidential candidate briefly touched on national security. She told the crowd that "the terrorists are still dead set against us" and that her son Track is still deployed in Iraq.

"It is war over there, so it will not be war over here," she said. "And it had better still be our mission that we win, they lose."

She also pointed to the recent dismissal of another ethics complaint against her, one that accused the governor of having a conflict of interest for wearing a jacket to the opening of the Tesoro Iron Dog race in February that feautured the logo of the sponsor of her husband's team. Palin has been forced to set up a legal defense fund to help pay for fees related to an onslaught of ethic complaints.

Palin said of the people who have filed the complaints: "Those are the folks who want to tell me, they want to tell you, to sit down and shut up. We will not do that. I just can't, because I love my state. I love my country."

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. chipinaw

I agree the woman has a ways to go with the "political etiquette" but she at least has the desire and vision to clean out the fat politicians.I really have a hard time believing that the congress of our country can not solve our budget problems, energy problems and a few others...good people that get distracted by their wealth and power...bring on Sarah Palin..let her stir some things up, maybe it will wake a few of the other sup

June 4, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. So, Alaska will be sending back all the money then?

Does this mean that Alaska is no longer going to accept Federal dollars above and beyond the level that it contributes to the national treasury? Or is this simply more fraudulent red meat rhetoric from Palin along the lines of her mythical turning down of the money for the bridge to nowhere?

June 4, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Matt

The debt is NOT NEW! It's only a couple hundred million more then what Bush signed!

June 4, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Colorado

Palin has never taken economics 101!

June 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  5. Brian in AZ

CNN, CNN, CNN...that's a very slanted title. How about "PALIN: Government defying 'Economics 101'" or "PALIN: trillions of debt 'fly in the face of principles'"

Way to cash in on another network's lampooning. Anything for a few more ratings points, right?

June 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  6. Maria

Aren't Sarah's 15 minutes of fame over yet? Perhaps Sarah would like to re-educate Paul Krugman, the Nobel Prize winning Economist, on ECON 101, who noted in his recent opinion piece, Reagan Did It, that Reagan's declaration that “Government is the problem, not the solution” and that “the magic of the marketplace must be set free” are the cornerstones of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Sarah must know something Paul doesn't...

June 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  7. Bob

The last time I checked, the government "is" the people!

June 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  8. chuck Imogen

Ms. Palin sometime silence is golden. When you do not have anything constructive to say, it is more respectful to be quiet. I believe you are still living in the part and have not gotten over the election loss you created for your self.

June 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  9. Colin

Well, its now officail, she's a functional idiot. I'm surprised she didn't use technical terms such as "OMG", "like totally" or "Whatevas, I'm outtie"

June 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  10. BuffaloGal

I thought the legal defense fund was set up to take care of fees brought on through the Troopergate situation where she had to hire her own attorney.

Did she actually have to pay out of her pocket for this Arctic Cat ethics complaint?? Does someone know how that works ? It seems to me that the personnel board meets and they decide if the complaint has legs. If not, they dismiss it. Why does any money come out of Governor Palin's pocket?

June 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. gl, From Pittsburgh

I could be rich by now if I would have bet with Sara will come out and speak againt the President. It is always right after the President give a major speech. If you don't believe me, go back in check for your self. She can not compete with this President becasue he is out of her lead.

June 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. maxine

who cares what this woman has to say.

June 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  13. Daniel

It appears that if Sara Palin breathes, CNN will be there to cover it.

June 4, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  14. ConsiderThis, FL

She should get an award for being the only idiot in history who gets media coverage when she utters uncoherent sentences. I wonder whether or not she really knows how much of an empty suit she is. She really struggles to complete sentences that convey a clear and concise thought. Since her sentences are reflective of her thoughts, can't people see that Sarah doesn't have what it takes to lead or govern anything? She's totally unqualified.

June 4, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  15. Obushma

I think I'm in love!!! No wait...I'm married....hmmm.....well she can still be my president in 2012!!!! Go Cuda!!!!!

June 4, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  16. Mike Ross

Which one of the 5 colleges she attended did she actually take Econ 101 at? Econ 101 would have taught her about basic Keynesian theory, which she apparently understands NOTHING about.

J.O.K.E is all this is

June 4, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  17. David, Durham

As long as Republicans remain ideologically beholden to the excesses of neo-liberal dogma, wherein all the causation for the 'Great Recession' lies, I ain't interested.

America needs a model of capitalism which provides security, while, simultaneously, doesn't infringe too much on liberty.

June 4, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  18. Allan

Does she know enough Economics 101 to tell us just exactly which principles it is violating? And how would "rescuing the states", were the federal government to do it, lead to control of the people? This speech doesn't make a lot of sense.

June 4, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  19. Philip

What an idiot!

June 4, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  20. David Ragozzino

She has NO clue.

June 4, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  21. drae150

Like Palin would know anything about economics 101 – when will this idiot just go away???????

June 4, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  22. JB

Go away, Ms. Palin.

June 4, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  23. w.l. jones

In alaska it just to blame cold to think straght. Said enough.

June 4, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  24. Operation Crush Rush

Looks like she will play the fear card till the print fades from it.Shes the greatest clueless dipstick Ive ever seen,but the clueless rednecks love her.

June 4, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  25. Kimthejournalist

Pretty soon, she will be making a hat out of tin foil... "the government wants to get in there and control the people" and eat their BRAAAAIIIINNSSSS.

I am not a praying woman, but I pray that Sarah can stave off her meltdown until she locks up the 2012 GOP nomination. Her total public humiliation is one of my top fantasies...

June 4, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |