June 5th, 2009

First lady names new chief of staff

The White House said Thursday the first lady had selected a new chief of staff.
The White House said Thursday the first lady had selected a new chief of staff.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - First lady Michelle Obama has brought in an old Chicago friend, Susan Sher, to replace chief of staff Jackie Norris.

The White House announced the switch late Thursday.

Norris was part of the team that led the Obama campaign to victory in the Iowa caucuses. She will now serve as a senior adviser to the Corporation for National and Community Service.

"I am grateful to President and Mrs. Obama for the opportunities and friendship they have given me over the last few years and I am looking forward to becoming an integral part of this Administration's efforts to advance the cause of national and community service," Norris said in a statement released by the White House.

In a statement, Mrs. Obama described Sher, who has been advising her on issues like health care, "as a trusted advisor, longtime mentor and friend dating back to my work at the City of Chicago and later the University of Chicago."

She also thanked Norris for building "a strong organization in the East Wing."

The first lady is slated to join President Barack Obama in Europe for the final leg of his latest overseas trip.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Gary

Libs, why does truth and fact make you so mad? I realize it interferes with your blind faith worship of POTUS, but come on.

June 5, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. GOP = 21st century dodo

Cliff do you get paid $10 for each conspiracy theory / talking point you manage to cram into your posts?

June 5, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  3. Debra Hasan

Go Michelle.

June 5, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. MIA 09

We all have to realize that we still live in a racist world first of all. Also the nut jobs would rather us bring this country to its knees and go down in flames with all of their bigotry ways. This country needs to change and change fast. We will never be anything until we unite as a whole and do what's for the good of all. Open your minds people. Your way got us no where. Let's try something new REPUBLIANS!!!!!

No more cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  5. Jeff from VA

the hate in these comments is extremely disturbing. how can you people stand to look yourself in the mirror?

June 5, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  6. surfrider

I have no problem with my half-white president being in office, his wife is hot, his kids are adorable, and I am even getting used to seeing the dog on the news more and more...
    I have a real problem with his economic policies and what they will ULTIMATELY do to the country. I am concerned that so many are blind to what is going to to hit them head on in the next couple years. And I am really concerned about those in congress he listens to. That keeps me up at night...
    Good luck to Ms. Norris, live a happy, comfortable life. I am sure Ms. Sher will pick right up where you left off.

June 5, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  7. unemployed ex-repug operatives are..

trashing the blogsphere including the CNN blog.

they sure know how to reveal their IQ.

June 5, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  8. JM

It sounds like to me that Ms. Norris chose to leave her position as CoS to the First Lady because she was offered this other job, so what's the freaking big deal?

I am seriously so sick of all of you pathetic GOP sore losers. You lost. Get over it and move on.

June 5, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  9. Mike

Why are there so many insinuations that dislike for Obama and his wife is based on race? Race has not been mentioned anywhere by anyone. How are we to know that love being displayed in this thread is not based on race and not actions or accomplishments?

June 5, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  10. ObamaShrugged

If we disagree with the Obama's we are hateful, racist idiots.

How many of you liberals loved Bush? How many accepted his policies and agreed with what he did just because he is the President.

Dissent is Patriotic, remember?

June 5, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  11. Ms. Dee, Texas

Jen
    From CA
    ------------------------------
    You are a LIAR. Texas will not SECEDE. It is not on our agenda and never will be. I am a moderate conservative from Texas and I can assure you the GOP movement here in Texas is not interested in succession. We merely want to unite and come together as ONE for the good of our nation.

Please get your facts straight before you start spewing out LIES

June 5, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  12. Red

Once they have gotten what they need you are toast. Is that any surprise. Obama through Rev. Wright to the dogs quicker that you could say what happened. Politicaly power is their only goal and everyone else is expendable but them.

June 5, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  13. Len

TO MLK,

Keep watching Fox News and listening to Rush, Hanity, and Coulter. You will never get the truth and you will always be a person of Hate and will always live in Fear!

The American people voted and President Obama is the right person for the job!

June 5, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  14. Michael

CNN don't you have anything important to report and take people's opinions.

June 5, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  15. Sick -n- Tired

Its funny how CNN will allow all the hateful comments to rack up to over 200 when it concerns anything Obama, but when John Boehner cries about something totally stupid and tries to blame Obama for something that his party of mentally challanged morons did they cut off the comments after 1! Double standard much?

June 5, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  16. Eric

I said it before and I will say it again: please get a life some of you. For those that criticize President Obama unfairly, it doesn't matter. You are not going to win your way. Heck, you will never win at this point, so your wasting your time typing. No policy wonk pays much attention to these blogs, so what you write here is meaningless. This is for entertainment purposes only and I have to say some of you deserve an Oscar.

June 5, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  17. Independent in Virginia

This sounds like DC Mayor Fenty – he hires friends that do nothing so they can have a big paycheck and be loyal to him.

June 5, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  18. Wanda

I could care less about who she hires or fires in the White House. I'm concerned about the other things that go there.
    Are my children going to be able to afford a family and a home of their own, are they going to be killed by some terrorist because of the lack of concern about the security in our nation. When will decisions be made there that will protect us instead of our "leader" running around kissing up to our enemies.
    These are things that concern me. Not who got hired or fired that make decisions that don't effect me or my family. HELLO..is there anyone there that cares??????

June 5, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  19. Rene

I can't believe these right wing nuts still believe "Acorn" is an issue or was even an issue...you republicans are complete morons! your lies have caught up to you and that's what it is, you don't like it! It's the same thing when that whole Bush/Gore nightmare occurred, you were all there to bully ANYONE who questioned your election process and stole the election! go away! you're only 21% of the population (and thank god for that!)...can't wait til you're in the single digits!

June 5, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. Johny

I only have two points to make:

To all the people complaining to CNN moderators about the negative comments towards Mrs. Obama, funny how I never hear this complaint when an article about Mrs. Palin is posted. I just read one a moment ago and someone commented about taking her in the woods and murdering her. You people are being hypocrites.

To the ones that continue to throw out the "racism" accusations, I have yet to read one post that someone hates the Obamas because of their skin color. It is possible to not agree with their policies and not be racist too.

June 5, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  21. Texas Teacher

Every Administration names their own people for the jobs at hand... this is NO mystery! Only the GOP could try to make a travesty of this time honored procedure. If they do it, it's fine. If Obama and the Dems do it, it is a travesty to the American People! Pffft... I am quite sure that most of the population expects this to happen. Think of something important to say NO about, GOP... or Republican Big Business Party! Your illogical arguments no longer hold water with most of us! You are the Past, and we want the Future to serve all of us... NOT just the extremely wealthy few!

June 5, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  22. Steve (the real one)

Moi June 5th, 2009 11:36 am ET
    Hey CWO_USN – how much are you costing us taxpayers with the welfare checks you receive?
    --------------------–
    Hey Moi, CWO USN has either served or is currently serving his or her country so you can have the right to say something stupid! Let's see here; Serving your counrty or serving up ignorant rhetoric. I'll take the former. From one proud vet to CWO USN. Thank you!

June 5, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  23. Texas Teacher

NOW... I will read what the rest of you have to say! :)

June 5, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  24. Janna, DC

Don't hate, celebrate.

I think it's great that the First Lady is joining her husband with the kids and Mrs. Robinson. Just like Bush, Laura and daughter Barbara went to the China Olympics. No one complained then, so why are you complaining now.? The president is working, and the kids are out of school, so Michelle can join him. So what?

I want my tax dollars to support the president and his family– and that's that. Unfortunately, my tax dollars are part of your tax dollars. Just like your tax dollars paid for GW Bush, along with my tax dollars.

Get over yourselves.

June 5, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. djcollin47

This didn't start with Ms. Obama, but why does the First Lady have a staff, let alone, a chief of staff? This isn't a dem or repub question. This is not an elected or appointed official, they have no official responsibility or capacity.

Maybe CNN could do a follow-up on the story to find out just how much the First Lady's staff has cost throughout the last few administrations.

June 5, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |